Advice for an Apprentice in Oregon? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question Advice for an Apprentice in Oregon?

Hello Everyone,
I am new to posting on this forum. I have been a reader of the threads for a couple months now though, very informative and friendly!

I have been doing home remodeling and carpentry work for the past 6 years. This whole while I have always been interested in becoming an electrician. I was looking into a training program recently, (http://www.nietc.org/) that places apprentices with local companies and also offers class room training. This looks like a good route to get certified but I was wondering if this is the only way? Or is there any suggestions anyone would have regarding getting an apprenticeship and starting my career path a different way?

Thank you for any information you can give.
Sincerely,
Adam
AdamZeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 642

Howdy. I'm an apprenticeship instructor & journeyman electrician from Local 932 on the Oregon Coast.

NIETC is the training center for IBEW Local 48, which is the Union jurisdiction covering the Portland Metro Area, along with SW Washington (Vancouver), and the Northern Oregon Coast (from the Tillamook County line all the way up to the Columbia River or thereabouts).

If you call up the training center they'll tell you everything you need to know for application. Generally, the requirements are minimum C average in high school algebra, plus you'll have to take an aptitude test (involving math, reading comprehension, etc.), and you'll be interviewed by members of the apprenticeship hiring committee. And that's all just to get on the list.

I believe NIETC usually has about 600 - 700 apprentices in the program at any given time... but I was at an instructor conference last month and the training director said they're currently down to 450 apprentices or so. With a looooooong waiting list. It's hard to get in right now because there's not much construction going on. But getting on the waiting list is not a bad thing to do.

For the record, your construction experience will be beneficial as far as your interview goes... it means that you can be expected to be familiar with job site safety issues and the like.

If you want to be an electrician, then nothing can beat a good apprenticeship program. You'll be in the classroom and you'll be trained on the job, and you'll walk out with a lot of knowledge. In Oregon, a General Journeyman Electrician is required to complete a training program involving 8000 on-the-job hours, and some amount (I forgot) of classroom hours. The Local 48 apprenticeship program will satisfy both of those.

There are also other options... NIETC has a few different apprenticeship programs, including regular Inside Electrical work, along with several specialty electrical trades (telecommunications, residential, etc.) The Inside Electrical program would be the best if you can get in to it, because the General Journeyman license allows you to perform all the work in the specialty electrical trades.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Don't plan on quitting your current job thought yet
Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZeek View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am new to posting on this forum. I have been a reader of the threads for a couple months now though, very informative and friendly!

I have been doing home remodeling and carpentry work for the past 6 years. This whole while I have always been interested in becoming an electrician. I was looking into a training program recently, (http://www.nietc.org/) that places apprentices with local companies and also offers class room training. This looks like a good route to get certified but I was wondering if this is the only way? Or is there any suggestions anyone would have regarding getting an apprenticeship and starting my career path a different way?

Thank you for any information you can give.
Sincerely,
Adam
I wish you the best of luck!

Welcome to the forum
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Eric, thank you for all that useful information.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

I am an instructor for the Portland program referenced. We do applicant orientations on the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 4-5pm. I highly recommend attending one of these. As Eric said, we are slow to bring in new people, however, it is a good idea to take some time to prepare a solid application then get yourself on the list.
ljenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ljenkins For This Useful Post:
erics37 (12-10-2010)
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #6

Yeah, I am excited to attend this orientation night.
The last two months I have been busy on the third Tuesday but this month it looks like I will make it. I am excited to hear more about this program. Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
√-1 2 Σ π

Rewards Points: 18

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

I recommend that you call IEC Oregon and talk to Taysia 503-598-7789. She can tell you what you need to do to get on the list but basically you need a high school diploma or GED and a C or better in algebra. The waiting list sucks so what you could probably do is go up to Washington and pay the $35 to become an apprentice at DOLI work there for 6 months, get 1000 hours then transfer into the Oregon program thru IEC. I think that would work but check it out with Taysia before taking my word on it.
Malaking_TT is offline   Reply With Quote