Brand new IBEW apprentice here! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile Brand new IBEW apprentice here!

Hey guys/gals,

My name is Alan....I just wanted to say hi. I'm from the Anchorage, Alaska area and just found out earlier this week I was selected as an apprenctice inside wiremen here at IBEW local 1547. I start May 4th.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any words of wisdom and experience for me. I'm so excited for this to start. Any tips on what to expect and what I need to bring to the table that I may not already be thinking?

I'm 28, a Navy vet and am currently in the Air Guard up here.....I've got the mindset to deal with adverse conditions and people. My mind is right and my life/work experience is pretty broad. I expect to do great and do what is asked of me. Any tips? Anything to make me "that apprentice" that a journeymen has to have around?

Thanks! Glad to be part of the IBEW and a brother to ALL electricians around the country.
alaska6233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Alaska?

Phew, and I used to think Philly got cold.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #4

its a nice balmy 40 some degrees right now.....were on the upswing! ha ha....
Old 04-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska6233 View Post
I just wanted to see if anyone had any words of wisdom and experience for me.
Probably the best thing an apprentice can do at first is to resist the urge to act like you know anything, even if you do (until you're specifically asked). Keep your head down and shoulder to the wheel. You'll do fine. Suck it all up. Even grouchy people can teach you stuff. Overperforming in a union environment can often cause friction with your brothers, so keep your eyes peeled and do as everyone else does. The #1 best thing you should probably concentrate on is predicting what the journeyman you're working with will need and generally making his life easier.

EDIT... I think the social skills you learned in the navy will probably help you a ton on your new job.

Last edited by MDShunk; 04-25-2009 at 06:02 PM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Raj
Aussparky

Rewards Points: 60
Thumbs up

welcome to the forum mate,
being a apprentice is a wonderful journey to achieving the necessary trade skills required to be a skillful tradesman.
Just one advice being a electrical apprentice please maintain concerntration and be alert always as you are now dealing with something you cant see.
best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Protect urself by ur mates rather than a fence.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome to the forum.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome!
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

thanks for the advise!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #10

thanks everyone!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Just some guy...

Rewards Points: 25

Welcome to forum! " I don't know but I've been told, Air Force wings are made of gold" " I don't know but its been said Navy wings are made of lead!" LOL. Thanks for your service. In addition I would say don't be afraid to ask questions or say you don't know. Not like if you were a plumber the worst you could maybe do is flood out a house. Electrician, you could hurt and or kill your self or some one else, burn down a house etc.. Also learn that code book and invest in good tools. You can always tell how serious a person is about there trade by looking at there tools.
barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #12

Hey Alan! Good job on getting in

I have my interview on May 5th for the same local.

If I see an 'Alan' around I'll ask if your the same guy. Maybe we'll end up working together someday.

Have a good one.
JElectriCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #13

congradulations
tryintojoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska6233 View Post
Hey guys/gals,

My name is Alan....I just wanted to say hi. I'm from the Anchorage, Alaska area and just found out earlier this week I was selected as an apprenctice inside wiremen here at IBEW local 1547. I start May 4th.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any words of wisdom and experience for me. I'm so excited for this to start. Any tips on what to expect and what I need to bring to the table that I may not already be thinking?

I'm 28, a Navy vet and am currently in the Air Guard up here.....I've got the mindset to deal with adverse conditions and people. My mind is right and my life/work experience is pretty broad. I expect to do great and do what is asked of me. Any tips? Anything to make me "that apprentice" that a journeymen has to have around?

Thanks! Glad to be part of the IBEW and a brother to ALL electricians around the country.
Welcome "Alaska" to the I-Brrrr-E-W!
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #15

Smile Welcome

First 2 years of the program is the hardest.Once you get your increase and learn alot you will change attitude.You will learn a lot from older Journeyman a very good trick and they are willing to teach you things.I was fortunate to work on big jobs.
jimmyer is offline   Reply With Quote