Fire suppression and MUA - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Incognito
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By canbug
  • 1 Post By canbug
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 2 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By MikeFL

Old 05-29-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,127
Default Fire suppression and MUA

City engineer says he wants the kitchen fan to go on when fire suppression is activated and for MUA to be de-energized. Does that make sense?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
City engineer says he wants the kitchen fan to go on when fire suppression is activated and for MUA to be de-energized. Does that make sense?
Yes. I assume the kitchen fan is an exhaust?

MUA off so it does not feed the fire, kitchen exhaust on to get rid of smoke.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,984

Makes perfect sense.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,180

MechanicalDVR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,926

YES, completely!

The smoke needs to be removed and the air supply to the fire needs to be cut off.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,596

It makes sense but if you are exhausting a space without bringing in air, the air needs to be replaced some how. Also if your exhaust is still on, that is air flow that may reduce the effectiveness of the suppressant.
I would think and have wired in the past were if the F/A goes off, you kill the power to both the MUA and exhaust. No air movement. The fire department sets up the exhaust fans once the fire is out.

Tim.
Navyguy likes this.
canbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
It makes sense but if you are exhausting a space without bringing in air, the air needs to be replaced some how. Also if your exhaust is still on, that is air flow that may reduce the effectiveness of the suppressant.
I would think and have wired in the past were if the F/A goes off, you kill the power to both the MUA and exhaust. No air movement. The fire department sets up the exhaust fans once the fire is out.

Tim.

Then why does an atrium require a smoke control system?

And why do they chainsaw through the roof of a burning building to ventilate?

And why do they smash windows to ventilate?

They want the products of combustion (smoke) evacuated while fighting the fire, whenever possible. It aids in fighting the fire as well as rescue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #8

Consider the fluid dynamics of the entire physical phenomena... Running the exhaust whilst simultaneously restricting fresh air intake is an attempt to draw a vacuum in the room. It's a really, really, poor vacuum because the building is leaky, but that's the goal nonetheless.

A fire hates a vacuum way more than a smokehouse. A smoldering fire will produce combustible gases through pyrolysis and now you have an explosive mixture. That's also why firemen cut holes: The immense rising hot air and smoke cause a partial vacuum in the structure. Fire hates vacuum.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,214

That's how we've always done it here.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Maybe I’m missing something but the air flow is above the hood near the ceiling and above the fire. I don’t see how it makes any difference.

This guy has some strange ideas but maybe he has this one right, I dunno.

Another question: The little fire suppression activation box has three wires (a common and NO and NC). Fire guy says to hook up to NO. How does this thing actually work? I don’t want it to dump by mistake.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

What do you mean airflow is above the hood?
It should be the hood exhaust which gets powered during fire condition.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 05-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,596

I'm aware of the FD opening up holes to fight fires.
In my case I'm thinking of rooms where we have suppression systems and the rooms have to be sealed for it to work. All air flow is shut down during a fire and the doors must remain closed so the suppression can work until the FD shows up.

Tim.
Navyguy likes this.
canbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
I'm aware of the FD opening up holes to fight fires.
In my case I'm thinking of rooms where we have suppression systems and the rooms have to be sealed for it to work. All air flow is shut down during a fire and the doors must remain closed so the suppression can work until the FD shows up.

Tim.
Like an Ansul system (FM200) in a data room or other critical control area.

That dilutes the O2 in the air by flooding it with N2 limiting the ability of the fire to propagate.
canbug likes this.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Maybe I’m missing something but the air flow is above the hood near the ceiling and above the fire. I don’t see how it makes any difference.

This guy has some strange ideas but maybe he has this one right, I dunno.

Another question: The little fire suppression activation box has three wires (a common and NO and NC). Fire guy says to hook up to NO. How does this thing actually work? I don’t want it to dump by mistake.
An intake air fan will spray the fire with fresh air. You want that off. The exhaust fan is pulling smoke and heat off the fire. Sure, air in the room will move toward the fire as the fan operates, but that air is limited by the doors and windows and walls. The fan is trying to draw a vacuum.

I don't think you can dump the system by wiring the microswitch wrong. What I like to do is use my meter to make sure we are all in agreement about what NO and NC mean in any given system. With the system full and cocked, the microswitch should energize an ice cube relay that allows the manual switch to operate the exhaust and MUA fans. When it trips, the ice cube relay should drop out and the circuit to the MUA fan should open, and the exhaust fan circuit should close, bypassing any manual switches.
99cents and MikeFL like this.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 48
Default You lost??

Hey 99

Why don't you ask to move this thread, it is in new introductions section. I know it is a rough day.

Cowboy.

PS I need to add posts so I can PM cricket
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 PM   #16
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a cowboy View Post
Hey 99

Why don't you ask to move this thread, it is in new introductions section. I know it is a rough day.

Cowboy.

PS I need to add posts so I can PM cricket
How TF did that happen?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
An intake air fan will spray the fire with fresh air. You want that off. The exhaust fan is pulling smoke and heat off the fire. Sure, air in the room will move toward the fire as the fan operates, but that air is limited by the doors and windows and walls. The fan is trying to draw a vacuum.

I don't think you can dump the system by wiring the microswitch wrong. What I like to do is use my meter to make sure we are all in agreement about what NO and NC mean in any given system. With the system full and cocked, the microswitch should energize an ice cube relay that allows the manual switch to operate the exhaust and MUA fans. When it trips, the ice cube relay should drop out and the circuit to the MUA fan should open, and the exhaust fan circuit should close, bypassing any manual switches.

You mean like this guy:

CoolWill likes this.

(833) GPS-TIME