Got the app, thought I'd join - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Default Got the app, thought I'd join

Hello, Im Brian and Ive been an electrician for almost 20 years, 9 of those on my own. I got my master electrical license in 2000 and then went to school and took an HVAC program and eventually got my HVAC contractors license in 2005.

Ive been reading through all the posts on here for several months on my Iphone app and thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss jobs going on or ask questions about what I come accross out in the field.

Im just a 2 man shop and dont really plan on growing. I had 6 guys at one point but with guys showing up late at the jobsite, taking a 1 1/2 hour lunch when they only had an hour, and having guys do mediocre work it did'nt last long before I was back down to just myself and a helper. The guy screwing up the most on the commercial jobs was getting paid the most out of the bunch and he was the one with the most experience so I was tired of the bs, and stopped bidding jobs that required more than I could handle with myself and a helper.

Im a member of another electrical site but it is mostly based on the NEC and there isnt a place on that forum for me to post about bidding jobs and things of that nature.

Looking forward to being a part of the forum.
Hotlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

What type of work do you do? Service? Bid jobs?
mattdolan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlegs View Post
Hello, Im Brian and Ive been an electrician for almost 20 years, 9 of those on my own. I got my master electrical license in 2000 and then went to school and took an HVAC program and eventually got my HVAC contractors license in 2005.

Ive been reading through all the posts on here for several months on my Iphone app and thought it would be nice to have a place to discuss jobs going on or ask questions about what I come accross out in the field.

Im just a 2 man shop and dont really plan on growing. I had 6 guys at one point but with guys showing up late at the jobsite, taking a 1 1/2 hour lunch when they only had an hour, and having guys do mediocre work it did'nt last long before I was back down to just myself and a helper. The guy screwing up the most on the commercial jobs was getting paid the most out of the bunch and he was the one with the most experience so I was tired of the bs, and stopped bidding jobs that required more than I could handle with myself and a helper.

Im a member of another electrical site but it is mostly based on the NEC and there isnt a place on that forum for me to post about bidding jobs and things of that nature.

Looking forward to being a part of the forum.
Yup it is a lot less stress as a one man show,.

Guys like the ones mentioned above can ruin your reputation in a hurry..

Welcome to the forum....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
Hotlegs (10-10-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdolan16 View Post
What type of work do you do? Service? Bid jobs?
Hi Matt. I do about 80% service and 20% bid jobs. That switches to about 50/50 when the cooling season is over with in Texas. It was a nice run of 100+ degree weather and HVAC service calls this year.

Most home owners have cut way back on the remodel end of the electrical side. Before the economy went down I could atleast get a recessed can light job a few times a month as most home owners liked the upgrade to their house.

I have a plumber friend that is scared of electricity and has me go behind him to diagnose any electrical problem he has. I wish more people were like him, but most are filling up their baskets at the home center stores with electrical supplies while the employee is telling them how to make their own home repairs. Thats 1 thing I like about the HVAC is that most the supply houses will not sell to a HO, only licensed contractors.

What type of electrical work do you do?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Yup it is a lot less stress as a one man show,.

Guys like the ones mentioned above can ruin your reputation in a hurry..

Welcome to the forum....
Thanks! I like that pooch in your avatar, whats his name? Is he your helper on jobs?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 804

Welcome to the forum.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote