Greetings to everyone, from South Carolina - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Greetings to everyone, from South Carolina

Howdy good folk, John here , 59 , relocated from New Mexico a couple of years ago , in order to be near my son and his family, and , at his request , to help him with getting his residential electrical contracting business on a more positive track.... he is teaching me the electrical end of things in order to obtain my own license , and I am trying to teach him business organization/tracking.... at this point, think he has the easier job, as you CAN teach some old dogs like me new tricks, but I am having to try to "undo" 10 yrs of bad habits... Wondering if any of you out there have/deal with a similar situation, father working as son's on site helper , and if so, how you handle things ... We both are working really hard at trying to keep work seperate from family/personal issues, but find it very difficult to do at times... Would love to hear how others are doing same...... Stay well all, Break a tool! ( in my eyes breaking a handtool means you're BUSY!!!!lol)
rebelwopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome!
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 50

First off, welcome to the forum.

If you are going to be the one doing the business end of things it is good to know the trade but a license is not necessary. It also can put undo stress on the relationship.

If you are really green then I would suggest working the jobs. In my eyes there is no better way to learn. Around here you need at least 2 years in the field and then you are eligible for the test. IMO, that is not enough. I know because I let myself go after 2 years and was pretty lost for awhile. I also learned many of the tricks that were taught me were wrong- but that's another story.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Fried Bologna um um good!

I work for my father. He trained me and it was heck at first. From the start we each thought that the way we would go about accomplishing a task was the easiest. He decided to tell me what needed to be done and let me decide how to do it. He told me how he would do it and then let me go at it. I really enjoy working with him now and have learned so much from him. A first year helper is confused alot and his supervisor has to know how to make him learn without making him feel dumb. Which is how I felt at first.
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

I worked with my dad for the first 10 years and it was the best time that I have had as a electrician. I started out green and moved up to a journeyman and then to a foreman. Then that company started to go under and then we ended up going different ways as far as work goes.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Ive met some really good guys on here. If you really want to learn listen to the guys here. Most know the code well and you can learn much from them. Good luck with your son.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Good luck with your son.
I'm confused.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
First off, welcome to the forum.

If you are going to be the one doing the business end of things it is good to know the trade but a license is not necessary. It also can put undo stress on the relationship.

If you are really green then I would suggest working the jobs. In my eyes there is no better way to learn. Around here you need at least 2 years in the field and then you are eligible for the test. IMO, that is not enough. I know because I let myself go after 2 years and was pretty lost for awhile. I also learned many of the tricks that were taught me were wrong- but that's another story.
Are you referring to a Journeymans test? My county is 4 years. Which considering they dont require a Journeyman on the job is something alot of people arent doing here. Glad I already have mine.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Are you referring to a Journeymans test? My county is 4 years. Which considering they dont require a Journeyman on the job is something alot of people arent doing here. Glad I already have mine.
How long ago did you get yours? Is it still 50 questions in 4 hrs?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
I'm confused.
I was talking about the op's situation with his son quoted you by mistake.
It was 50 questions when i took it. I passed in 1 try I heard most dont(only 4 people passed when I did) and its as hard as a limited nc. It took me the whole 4 hours. I got it in 2005. I also found out when I passed the real learning was just beginning on my road to being an electrician.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #12

Quote:
It was 50 questions when i took it. I passed in 1 try I heard most dont(only 4 people passed when I did) and its as hard as a limited nc. It took me the whole 4 hours. I got it in 2005. I also found out when I passed the real learning was just beginning on my road to being an electrician.
Yea, I passed with my first shot also. I know some guys that it took 4 or 5 times to pass. When I took it it took 2 weeks to find out my results by mail. Man those 2 weeks fealt like a year.

Tags
family, father/son, introduction