Hello everyone, Im licensed from Massachusetts - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Hello everyone, Im licensed from Massachusetts

Wow, I wish i found this forum earlier in my career. Im from the Boston area and have been doing electrical work for the past 8 years. Mostly in commercial space in the city. Right now im trying to start my own jobs up..small residential stuff for now an area where i have the least experience. Hope I can be of help to some and also hope I can gt some great advice in return...

Cheers,

Dave
Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Welcome!
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
Swayze (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

Oh great, another Mass hole.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
Big John (05-03-2012), leland (05-06-2012), Modern Castle Inc. (05-03-2012), Swayze (05-03-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze View Post
Wow, I wish i found this forum earlier in my career. Im from the Boston area and have been doing electrical work for the past 8 years. Mostly in commercial space in the city. Right now im trying to start my own jobs up..small residential stuff for now an area where i have the least experience. Hope I can be of help to some and also hope I can gt some great advice in return...

Cheers,

Dave
Dave If you have very little experience in residential Electrical work then you need to work with a company that specializes in residential electrical work first so when you go price a job you will be confident in what the scope is and how to do the job right the first time, it is a whole different animal than commercial work.

Keep in mind that you have to pull permits for all the work you are doing unless it is just changing light bulbs.

Welcome to the forum..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Dave If you have very little experience in residential Electrical work then you need to work with a company that specializes in residential electrical work first so when you go price a job you will be confident in what the scope is and how to do the job right the first time, it is a whole different animal than commercial work.

Keep in mind that you have to pull permits for all the work you are doing unless it is just changing light bulbs.

Welcome to the forum..
thank you

yes i have worked for a residential company for about 5 months and did a few small jobs and such on my own but I still need experience on pricing jobs and getting work, building clients etc...All in all I probably have about 9 month xp in res work but I have never bid on my own job yet...All the small jobs i got were family/friends. I feel comfortable in the scope of work but still have loads to learn in the business end. Such as being able to find leads, make the right bids and getting the work. Id rather branch off on my own at this point in my life even if it means eating some crud and learning the hard way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
thank you

yes i have worked for a residential company for about 5 months and did a few small jobs and such on my own but I still need experience on pricing jobs and getting work, building clients etc...All in all I probably have about 9 month xp in res work but I have never bid on my own job yet...All the small jobs i got were family/friends. I feel comfortable in the scope of work but still have loads to learn in the business end. Such as being able to find leads, make the right bids and getting the work. Id rather branch off on my own at this point in my life even if it means eating some crud and learning the hard way.
Cool on pricing jobs the best way in my opinion is to use a flat rate pricing system.

And what I mean is a system where you can price a job and quote a grand total price "ONLY" ,,,You want to steer clear of hourly rate pricing otherwise you will be stuck making a low hourly rate and bankrupt your self fast.

There many threads about flat rate pricing read them all and you will get a good start on learning how to price jobs.

There are many members here that use some form of a flat rate pricing system.

almost all customers want to know what the "grand total" a job will cost them.

If you show them your hourly rates after you have done the proper calculations on what your total business costs are per year divided by 1,000 man hours they will think you are ripping them off so don't show them.

Make a stock list and mark up that stock so it covers your costs of getting the stock and pays you for the time as well.

You also have to figure out how long a project will take so you need to time each task put that in your notes so you can look later and you will have an average number of hours too look up so you can pinpoint the average amount of time you get the work done.

Then take the grand total stock and the grand total of hours add up the numbers in to one grand total.,Now you have that price you will give the customer.

If you close on every bid that you give then your prices are way too low.

Read some of the threads on this part of the forum..http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/

You will find a lot of info that will help you learn the best way to price a job.

And you can always start your own thread on the subject.

Last edited by HARRY304E; 05-03-2012 at 08:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
Swayze (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Cool on pricing jobs the best way in my opinion is to use a flat rate pricing system.

And what i mean is a system where you can price a job and quote a grand total price "ONLY" ,,,You want to steer clear of hourly rate pricing otherwise you will be stuck making a low hourly rate and bankrupt your self fast.

There mant threads about flat rate pricing read them all and you will get a good start on learning how to price jobs.

There many members here that use some form of a flate rate pricing system.

Allmost all customers want to know what the "grand total" a job is going to cost them.

If you show them your hourly rates after you have done the proper calculations on what your total business costs are per year devided by 1,000 man hours they will think you are ripping them off so don't show them.

Make a stock list and mark up that stock so it civers your costs of getting the stock and pays you for the time as well.

You also have to figure out how long a project will take so you need to tme each task put that in your notes so you can look later and you will have an average number of hours too look up so you can pinpoint the avaerage amout of time you get the work done.

Then take the grand total stock and the grand total of hours add up the numbers in to one grand total.,Now you have that price you will give the customer.

Read some of the threads on this part of the forum..http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/

You will find a lot of info that will help you learn the best way to price a job.

awesome advice, thank you.
HARRY304E (05-03-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
awesome advice, thank you.
Any time..

Read all those Business and pricing threads that will really help you out in getting started.

Good luck...

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Welcome to the forum.. I hope you don't talk funny..
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
no but i have a cousin vinny, he talks funny
B4T (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Quote:
no but i have a cousin vinny, he talks funny
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75
Default Thanks

Quote:

And what I mean is a system where you can price a job and quote a grand total price "ONLY" ,,,You want to steer clear of hourly rate pricing otherwise you will be stuck making a low hourly rate and bankrupt your self fast.

There many threads about flat rate pricing read them all and you will get a good start on learning how to price jobs.

There are many members here that use some form of a flat rate pricing system.

almost all customers want to know what the "grand total" a job will cost them.

If you show them your hourly rates after you have done the proper calculations on what your total business costs are per year divided by 1,000 man hours they will think you are ripping them off so don't show them.

Make a stock list and mark up that stock so it covers your costs of getting the stock and pays you for the time as well.

You also have to figure out how long a project will take so you need to time each task put that in your notes so you can look later and you will have an average number of hours too look up so you can pinpoint the average amount of time you get the work done.

Thanks for the info man....... I recently started a shop in CO, and have been looking into flat rate pricing
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle3000 For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle3000 View Post
Thanks for the info man....... I recently started a shop in CO, and have been looking into flat rate pricing
I wish you good luck with your new business...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post

Yoo, taulk funny. and make lousy clam chowdah.
Who in their right mind puts tamatuh juice in chowdah!!!?
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #15
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post

If you can do this you can do that.

http://www.boozingear.com/blog/2008/...ve-nationwide/