Hello Fellow Gentle Sparkman! New female Contractor! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Wardenclyffe
  • 6 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By Wirenuting
Unread 02-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Hello Fellow Gentle Sparkman! New female Contractor!

Hello!

I have recently opened my own business, aside from all the over head, I have things lining up. Its all coming together but at times over whelming. I have been offered to bid 5,000 square foot home in the state next door. Where I also hold another masters license that someone wont call me back on. Deal was, I was going to return to work for them after Feb 1st at the latest. That call was supposed to be made over two weeks ago. Ive been sitting.

So I said Screw that I can do this too.

I have a surprising amount of interest in the folks that know me. I have small Jobs lined up, one medium the one im currently bidding (the HUGE house) and if i manage to score this deal, could potentially working for this GC building multi-family units for a long time.

Questions for this community... just to get a feel...

How long would it take YOU and maybe an App, to COMPLETE a two story 2500' Square per level house W/ detached garage... Roughly?
Smokes, lighting, outlets and panel etc. whole shabang.

Even better question is.. when you first started how long would have it taken you?

im sure most of us have done something the dumb way first a time or two, but maybe yall can help me form my system of attack with those old school roping tricks. Been here and there most career, but not with this pressure of my own neck and funds out there. I have ample time to plan and review codes.

My price im populating with software, as a union shop, and if they like my price, we will go forward. I have feeling if i don't get this one, i could try again in same place. But im NOT going low. Dont Need the job. I want to dive but not hit all the rocks. Any advice would be GREAT and appreciated. I am giving this a Serious GO.

Hope to make some friends out there! Thanks for any feedback!
sarahb0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 448

Don't forget the Landscape lighting,...
Wardenclyffe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wardenclyffe For This Useful Post:
sarahb0222 (02-11-2020)
Unread 02-11-2020, 02:43 AM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 18,081

I looked at your profile page. Don't know what part of US you are in so this may not apply......

You are a disadvantaged minority. A woman. Hence.......... you get to automatically beat out white male majority owned EC's who bid on municipal projects at least Federal ones, if you are less than 10% higher than they are.

Let's say uncle macmikeman bids 500k on a Fed job. You win if you bid $545K.
See how nice that is? If you live near a base or Washington, take advantage of that. Get rich quick. Forget wiring houses, wire barracks for ten thousand soldiers. Or a hanger or two, or a mess hall, etc.......
Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 6,470

Welcome to ET
John Valdes and five.five-six like this.
Unread 02-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb0222 View Post
How long would it take YOU and maybe an App, to COMPLETE a two story 2500' Square per level house W/ detached garage... Roughly?
Smokes, lighting, outlets and panel etc. whole shabang.
It would take me a few weeks, maybe a month.

While I am the best electrician the world has ever known, I just don't have the experience in roping new houses.

A typical new house builder would have 2-3 guys who don't speak English and have no real electrical skills, yet know exactly what tasks they each have to do to wire up the house you described in a long day, for $150 each.

You are a union shop? Doing new house construction?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 300

Welcome and good luck. Two points of advice:

(1) Wiring new houses is the lowest paying work you could do. You would be better off finding anything else. Remodel and additions pays better. Service work much better.

(2) Be very careful dealing with GCs. Most of them will attempt cheat you in some way. Don't let them hold back money for any reason. Don't let them get behind on progress payments. Have a written contract that specifies precisely what the scope of work is and isn't. If you can't come to an agreement, walk away, don't settle. You are far better off dealing directly with owners if possible.

ETA: The most important thing you can do to start your business off on the right foot is to determine the correct hourly rate. I am very serious about this. (Very important: It's not what everybody else is charging!!) Almost every contractor starts off charging way too little and then as they read about how to charge correctly, increase their rates several times until it is correct. Don't be them. Start off correctly. Research "hourly rate" and "flat rate" subjects here and on other sites.

Last edited by Coppersmith; 02-11-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Coppersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,872

Welcome aboard and good luck.
If you are a one woman shop, you can make great money on the little jobs. Higher mark up, payment as soon as your done, if someone rips you off far less of a loss on your part and you can often get a down payment that pays for all the material up front.

Doesn't really answer any of your questions but food for thought.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I looked at your profile page. Don't know what part of US you are in so this may not apply......

You are a disadvantaged minority. A woman. Hence.......... you get to automatically beat out white male majority owned EC's who bid on municipal projects at least Federal ones, if you are less than 10% higher than they are.

Let's say uncle macmikeman bids 500k on a Fed job. You win if you bid $545K.
See how nice that is? If you live near a base or Washington, take advantage of that. Get rich quick. Forget wiring houses, wire barracks for ten thousand soldiers. Or a hanger or two, or a mess hall, etc.......

Not to mention that if you were Pocahontas and just said that you liked girls, you would be a shoe in for every muni job you bid.

Business is business.

Custom homes are rough to bid. Don’t forget wiring concealed GD opener wires too. Is there a pool? Are they doing Solar. Is there a bubble bath tub or satellite TV? Wil you be running EMT through a cored hole in concrete? Dedicated circuit for the AV system? Smart lights? Dumb lights? Which luminaries are you supplying? How complicated are the fans and luminaries they are supplying? How is their supply chains, will you have to make 19 trips back, one for each time a different boutique sconce shows up? High chandelier(s)?
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 222

Welcome from Maine. Good luck with your venture.
J F Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 584

Welcome to the forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #11
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 19

Welcome and good luck
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 210

Welcome to Electrician Talk Sarah.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.

John Valdes
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 06:43 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

welcome and good luck
Superman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:42 AM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 14,005

What you have going for you, Sarah, is that you say you don’t need this work. That means you can walk away from it, which is exactly what you should be doing. Today. If you said you needed the job to pay the rent and feed the cat, that would be much worse since, upon completion, the rent would still be unpaid and the cat would be starving.

The only time I made decent money on a house was with an industrial customer who was building his own house and he paid me time with an ongoing material allowance.

The first rule is that you don’t expose yourself financially. That means money up front, frequent progress payments and invoices due immediately. That eliminates home builders. The second rule is don’t get stuck on a money pit to the point where you’re turning down good business because you’re busy losing money on the money pit.

I had two offers to partner up, one on a hotel job and one with a guy yanking wire in apartment buildings. I said no but I will subcontract to you. I made money and both those guys went out of business.

Good luck.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote