Hello! I would like to become electrician, where is the page? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions


Like Tree18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
UseAsDirected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: near Denver
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 20
Post Hello! I would like to become electrician, where is the page?

Good morning:

Am pleased to register on this website. I would like to become an electrician yet where do I post about this topic? Am looking to get opinions from you all about the field, but I don't want it to sound redundant as I think you probably get this kind of post. I studied physics, applied physics, and then finance for a long while (only for the money, hate the actual work). Coronavirus crippled my company, I am laid off, and the silver lining is now I can focus on a career that contributes to society. May I ask my questions here? Thank you.
UseAsDirected is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty
 
Kevin_Essiambre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,139
Rewards Points: 494
Default

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for taking the time to fill out your profile!

You definitely chose the best trade to get into.

This section of the forum is a great place to start off.

I'm just gonna leave this here for your enjoyment:
__________________
Vote Kevin for Moderator!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin_Essiambre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
canbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Just North of Calgary
Posts: 1,121
Rewards Points: 2,210
Default

Welcome to the forums.
Do a search for this topic, it's been discussed a lot but we are always game to go through it again.

Tim.
Max C. likes this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 6,546
Rewards Points: 798
Default

How old are you & what exactly have you done work wise the past 10yrs?
Max C. likes this.
__________________
EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
UseAsDirected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: near Denver
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 20
Default

Hi, Kevin, Canbug, and hopefully others:

Thank you for the timely response. Thanks, that was an entertaining video, LOL. I have been researching for over two weeks but I would like to get an actual electrician's opinion as opposed to the rather PR laced articles I have been reading. Perhaps if electrician's here blacken into font again their experiences, maybe their perspectives might change in the process. I don't know, that could be a plus for giving it a second go.

Background:

My degree is in physics. Loved it. Passion. Through a clouded sense of judgement, after graduation I instead worked for a long while in finance, really only for the money. I worked 318 hours per month and the material was not interesting. I hate myself for this. I read history of science books to while away the time on Sundays. But that is history. Never mind it.
When I was laid off from COVID-19 this early summer, I finally had the time to FaceTime my niece and help her with her homework. I have taught he about circuits. I got so passionate about it I am reading through her little book and reproducing the material myself. Harkens back to my physics programme. I think to myself, goodness this is so interesting I should do this for a living. I should re-study electromagnetism, re-study algebra, number series, pass the exams, become an apprentice, and be an electrician. It will be a hard transition, hard on my body, among other challenges, but it will be worth it. Physics is in part the source of our national prosperity. I cannot become a physicist because I have been too long out of the field, do not have a Ph.D., but perhaps I can be an electrician!

My questions thus
1. How did you exactly get into the trade? What is your life story? Details.
2. Can I skip trade school and directly be an apprentice? (I have M.S. degree)
3. By how much may I shorten the apprenticeship if I work crazy hours, overtime, and study hard for my mentor? (I am a little concerned about the years required to become an electrician and the $20 apprentice pay since I have a family).
4. Is it intellectually stimulating? Intellectually challenging?
5. Inside wiremen: what is the most profitable area in which to work?
6. Are there times in which you have no work and idle at home? Or are you in such high demand that you complete one project and move on to the next with no trouble?
7. If I work hard, days off, overtime, can I make at least $100,000?
8. Is your goal to one day own your own electrician practice as an independent business owner? If so/no, please explain.
9. What questions did I not ask that I should?

I want to move into electrical work by the end of summer.

Thank you all in advance.
UseAsDirected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
UseAsDirected's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: near Denver
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
How old are you & what exactly have you done work wise the past 10yrs?
Bird Dog, I am 39. Worked in corporate last ten years, in finance, for a major company, 12-15 hours per day wasting away. My major was physics, understand electromagnetism, and still have the study habits to learn.
UseAsDirected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
canbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Just North of Calgary
Posts: 1,121
Rewards Points: 2,210
Default

You are not to old to start an apprenticeship but I think you are already aware that you will be the grunt to start with and have a few hurdles to get through but it is a great trade to get into. Others will chime in but have you looked at lineman as well?
You need to get out and sell yourself to possible employers and to the local union.
Speaking of my own history I can't say whether a large or small shop is best. I apprenticed at a small shop that never said they couldn't do something so I worked on everything but he was not able to always keep me busy and would lend me out to a sign shop which was a lot of fun.
You will not make as much as you want to start with but it just keeps getting better. If this works out and you start your own shop, you should do well.
Chin up and go get indentured.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canbug For This Useful Post:
UseAsDirected (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 6,546
Rewards Points: 798
Default

By age 40 electricians are trying to become foreman or maintenance. Capitalize on the skills & experience you already have in the same or similar field. Move if you have to (Texas, Florida, Georgia etc.).
__________________
EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
UseAsDirected (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
German Spy
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: THE United States Of America
Posts: 4,231
Rewards Points: 4,831
Default

You don't want this trade.....Apprentice to electrician....

Just being honest here.

With your background, get an EE and design stuff in an A/C office.

You won't last in the field.


Again, just being honest. No disrespect intended.
__________________
I see nooothing, I was not here.
I did not even get up this morning.
Helmut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
UseAsDirected (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 6,546
Rewards Points: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You don't want this trade.....Apprentice to electrician....

Just being honest here.

With your background, get an EE and design stuff in an A/C office.

You won't last in the field.


Again, just being honest. No disrespect intended.
Agreed @Helmut. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The OP is no 20-25 year old kid.
__________________
EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
UseAsDirected (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Wardenclyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 387
Rewards Points: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You don't want this trade.....Apprentice to electrician....

Just being honest here.

With your background, get an EE and design stuff in an A/C office.

You won't last in the field.


Again, just being honest. No disrespect intended.

7. If I work hard, days off, overtime, can I make at least $100,000?

Become a Doctor, just as easy,...
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
canbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Just North of Calgary
Posts: 1,121
Rewards Points: 2,210
Default

I'm turning 55 and just saying, OT is not as appealing as it used to be.

Tim.
460 Delta likes this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
just the cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Springs Colorado
Posts: 2,057
Rewards Points: 812
Default

My 2 cents (2 points).

1. How did you exactly get into the trade? What is your life story? Details.
No details needed I picked this as a carrier at age 12. Went to trade School for 3 years. Severed 4 years as an apprentice. Worked in field 40+ years Don't regret 1 minute of it.
2. Can I skip trade school and directly be an apprentice? (I have M.S. degree)
Yes don't waste money on trade school.
3. By how much may I shorten the apprenticeship if I work crazy hours, overtime, and study hard for my mentor? (I am a little concerned about the years required to become an electrician and the $20 apprentice pay since I have a family).
This is not a field where you can not cram in knowledge or skills by working more. After so many hours of hard labor you are not gaining knowledge but may start making mistakes. You need to allow the full time for an apprenticeship you can't just jump in and want OT over others with more time.
4. Is it intellectually stimulating? Intellectually challenging?
Yes I am always learning, at 61 I am bringing in Rockwell to train my guys and me so we can go into a 7 year project upgrading and installing a state of the art system.
5. Inside wiremen: what is the most profitable area in which to work?
Work for happiness goals not money, money will follow if you are good.
6. Are there times in which you have no work and idle at home? Or are you in such high demand that you complete one project and move on to the next with no trouble?
If you are good no problem getting work.
7. If I work hard, days off, overtime, can I make at least $100,000?
After you come out. Sure if you are good and want to do that.
8. Is your goal to one day own your own electrician practice as an independent business owner? If so/no, please explain.
Been there done that. I make more and work less hours per year working for someone else since I am good at what I do.
9. What questions did I not ask that I should?
What field would suite me. I would say "39 years old 5 years apprenticeship in Denver in cold, not for me at that age." Go into automation and controls if you have the logic and common sense for it. They are a skill set skill that can not be taught
canbug and UseAsDirected like this.
__________________
The cost of our answers are not free, we charge you a answer back.
"DID THIS FIX IT??"

Last edited by just the cowboy; 07-02-2020 at 12:53 PM.
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to just the cowboy For This Useful Post:
UseAsDirected (07-02-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 02:08 AM   #14
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 30,188
Rewards Points: 22,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseAsDirected View Post
Hi, Kevin, Canbug, and hopefully others:

Thank you for the timely response. Thanks, that was an entertaining video, LOL. I have been researching for over two weeks but I would like to get an actual electrician's opinion as opposed to the rather PR laced articles I have been reading. Perhaps if electrician's here blacken into font again their experiences, maybe their perspectives might change in the process. I don't know, that could be a plus for giving it a second go.

Background:

My degree is in physics. Loved it. Passion. Through a clouded sense of judgement, after graduation I instead worked for a long while in finance, really only for the money. I worked 318 hours per month and the material was not interesting. I hate myself for this. I read history of science books to while away the time on Sundays. But that is history. Never mind it.
When I was laid off from COVID-19 this early summer, I finally had the time to FaceTime my niece and help her with her homework. I have taught he about circuits. I got so passionate about it I am reading through her little book and reproducing the material myself. Harkens back to my physics programme. I think to myself, goodness this is so interesting I should do this for a living. I should re-study electromagnetism, re-study algebra, number series, pass the exams, become an apprentice, and be an electrician. It will be a hard transition, hard on my body, among other challenges, but it will be worth it. Physics is in part the source of our national prosperity. I cannot become a physicist because I have been too long out of the field, do not have a Ph.D., but perhaps I can be an electrician!

My questions thus
1. How did you exactly get into the trade? What is your life story? Details.
2. Can I skip trade school and directly be an apprentice? (I have M.S. degree)
3. By how much may I shorten the apprenticeship if I work crazy hours, overtime, and study hard for my mentor? (I am a little concerned about the years required to become an electrician and the $20 apprentice pay since I have a family).
4. Is it intellectually stimulating? Intellectually challenging?
5. Inside wiremen: what is the most profitable area in which to work?
6. Are there times in which you have no work and idle at home? Or are you in such high demand that you complete one project and move on to the next with no trouble?
7. If I work hard, days off, overtime, can I make at least $100,000?
8. Is your goal to one day own your own electrician practice as an independent business owner? If so/no, please explain.
9. What questions did I not ask that I should?

I want to move into electrical work by the end of summer.

Thank you all in advance.

Canadian spelling. Nice try Frunk. Just remember, macmikeman is always right.
__________________
Start buying American
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Quickservice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Down South where people talk funny
Posts: 306
Rewards Points: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You don't want this trade.....Apprentice to electrician....

Just being honest here.

With your background, get an EE and design stuff in an A/C office.

You won't last in the field.


Again, just being honest. No disrespect intended.
Helmet is 100% correct. If you could major in physics EE would be a breeze. No disrespect here either but you don’t sound like the type who could stomach crawling through muddy crawl spaces when it is 10 degrees outside nor in an attic when it is 90 degrees outside.
__________________
The better half won’t let me climb an extension ladder at home!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quickservice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Quickservice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Down South where people talk funny
Posts: 306
Rewards Points: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tremblay View Post
see how they immediately tried to troll you? first post, was an attempt to hurt you.
If you want to have a good experience on this forum, and avoid racist, and trolls.
read my signature below.
@CoolWill was my first friend ever on ET... so I guess you better block me too.
__________________
The better half won’t let me climb an extension ladder at home!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quickservice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 4,676
Rewards Points: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tremblay View Post
see how they immediately tried to troll you? first post, was an attempt to hurt you.
If you want to have a good experience on this forum, and avoid racist, and trolls.
read my signature below.
Game over.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,224
Rewards Points: 3,082
Default

The OP is probably long gone
UseAsDirected likes this.
__________________
#HACKLIVESMATTER
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 39,206
Rewards Points: 578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickservice View Post
@CoolWill was my first friend ever on ET... so I guess you better block me too.
I know how he approaches new fish...


Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 8.21.42 AM.png
Views: 41
Size:  53.7 KB
CoolWill and UseAsDirected like this.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 4,676
Rewards Points: 554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I know how he approaches new fish...


Attachment 145384
There is no other way.
UseAsDirected likes this.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apprentice inside wireman, career change

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com