Hello! I would like to become electrician, where is the page? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree18Likes

Old 07-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Post Hello! I would like to become electrician, where is the page?

Good morning:

Am pleased to register on this website. I would like to become an electrician yet where do I post about this topic? Am looking to get opinions from you all about the field, but I don't want it to sound redundant as I think you probably get this kind of post. I studied physics, applied physics, and then finance for a long while (only for the money, hate the actual work). Coronavirus crippled my company, I am laid off, and the silver lining is now I can focus on a career that contributes to society. May I ask my questions here? Thank you.
UseAsDirected is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 494

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for taking the time to fill out your profile!

You definitely chose the best trade to get into.

This section of the forum is a great place to start off.

I'm just gonna leave this here for your enjoyment:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,210

Welcome to the forums.
Do a search for this topic, it's been discussed a lot but we are always game to go through it again.

Tim.
Max C. likes this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 798

How old are you & what exactly have you done work wise the past 10yrs?
Max C. likes this.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #5

Hi, Kevin, Canbug, and hopefully others:

Thank you for the timely response. Thanks, that was an entertaining video, LOL. I have been researching for over two weeks but I would like to get an actual electrician's opinion as opposed to the rather PR laced articles I have been reading. Perhaps if electrician's here blacken into font again their experiences, maybe their perspectives might change in the process. I don't know, that could be a plus for giving it a second go.

Background:

My degree is in physics. Loved it. Passion. Through a clouded sense of judgement, after graduation I instead worked for a long while in finance, really only for the money. I worked 318 hours per month and the material was not interesting. I hate myself for this. I read history of science books to while away the time on Sundays. But that is history. Never mind it.
When I was laid off from COVID-19 this early summer, I finally had the time to FaceTime my niece and help her with her homework. I have taught he about circuits. I got so passionate about it I am reading through her little book and reproducing the material myself. Harkens back to my physics programme. I think to myself, goodness this is so interesting I should do this for a living. I should re-study electromagnetism, re-study algebra, number series, pass the exams, become an apprentice, and be an electrician. It will be a hard transition, hard on my body, among other challenges, but it will be worth it. Physics is in part the source of our national prosperity. I cannot become a physicist because I have been too long out of the field, do not have a Ph.D., but perhaps I can be an electrician!

My questions thus
1. How did you exactly get into the trade? What is your life story? Details.
2. Can I skip trade school and directly be an apprentice? (I have M.S. degree)
3. By how much may I shorten the apprenticeship if I work crazy hours, overtime, and study hard for my mentor? (I am a little concerned about the years required to become an electrician and the $20 apprentice pay since I have a family).
4. Is it intellectually stimulating? Intellectually challenging?
5. Inside wiremen: what is the most profitable area in which to work?
6. Are there times in which you have no work and idle at home? Or are you in such high demand that you complete one project and move on to the next with no trouble?
7. If I work hard, days off, overtime, can I make at least $100,000?
8. Is your goal to one day own your own electrician practice as an independent business owner? If so/no, please explain.
9. What questions did I not ask that I should?

I want to move into electrical work by the end of summer.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
How old are you & what exactly have you done work wise the past 10yrs?
Bird Dog, I am 39. Worked in corporate last ten years, in finance, for a major company, 12-15 hours per day wasting away. My major was physics, understand electromagnetism, and still have the study habits to learn.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

You are not to old to start an apprenticeship but I think you are already aware that you will be the grunt to start with and have a few hurdles to get through but it is a great trade to get into. Others will chime in but have you looked at lineman as well?
You need to get out and sell yourself to possible employers and to the local union.
Speaking of my own history I can't say whether a large or small shop is best. I apprenticed at a small shop that never said they couldn't do something so I worked on everything but he was not able to always keep me busy and would lend me out to a sign shop which was a lot of fun.
You will not make as much as you want to start with but it just keeps getting better. If this works out and you start your own shop, you should do well.
Chin up and go get indentured.

Tim.
The Following User Says Thank You to canbug For This Useful Post:
UseAsDirected (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #8

By age 40 electricians are trying to become foreman or maintenance. Capitalize on the skills & experience you already have in the same or similar field. Move if you have to (Texas, Florida, Georgia etc.).

The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
German Spy

Rewards Points: 4,831

You don't want this trade.....Apprentice to electrician....

Just being honest here.

With your background, get an EE and design stuff in an A/C office.

You won't last in the field.

Again, just being honest. No disrespect intended.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post

Just being honest here.

Agreed @Helmut. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. The OP is no 20-25 year old kid.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 810

Quote:

Just being honest here.

Become a Doctor, just as easy,...
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #12

I'm turning 55 and just saying, OT is not as appealing as it used to be.

Tim.
460 Delta likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 812

My 2 cents (2 points).

No details needed I picked this as a carrier at age 12. Went to trade School for 3 years. Severed 4 years as an apprentice. Worked in field 40+ years Don't regret 1 minute of it.
Yes don't waste money on trade school.
3. By how much may I shorten the apprenticeship if I work crazy hours, overtime, and study hard for my mentor? (I am a little concerned about the years required to become an electrician and the $20 apprentice pay since I have a family).
This is not a field where you can not cram in knowledge or skills by working more. After so many hours of hard labor you are not gaining knowledge but may start making mistakes. You need to allow the full time for an apprenticeship you can't just jump in and want OT over others with more time.
Yes I am always learning, at 61 I am bringing in Rockwell to train my guys and me so we can go into a 7 year project upgrading and installing a state of the art system.
Work for happiness goals not money, money will follow if you are good.
6. Are there times in which you have no work and idle at home? Or are you in such high demand that you complete one project and move on to the next with no trouble?
If you are good no problem getting work.
After you come out. Sure if you are good and want to do that.
8. Is your goal to one day own your own electrician practice as an independent business owner? If so/no, please explain.
Been there done that. I make more and work less hours per year working for someone else since I am good at what I do.
What field would suite me. I would say "39 years old 5 years apprenticeship in Denver in cold, not for me at that age." Go into automation and controls if you have the logic and common sense for it. They are a skill set skill that can not be taught
canbug and UseAsDirected like this.

Last edited by just the cowboy; 07-02-2020 at 12:53 PM.
just the cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to just the cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 02:08 AM   #14
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 22,791

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseAsDirected View Post
Hi, Kevin, Canbug, and hopefully others:

Thank you for the timely response. Thanks, that was an entertaining video, LOL. I have been researching for over two weeks but I would like to get an actual electrician's opinion as opposed to the rather PR laced articles I have been reading. Perhaps if electrician's here blacken into font again their experiences, maybe their perspectives might change in the process. I don't know, that could be a plus for giving it a second go.

Background:

My degree is in physics. Loved it. Passion. Through a clouded sense of judgement, after graduation I instead worked for a long while in finance, really only for the money. I worked 318 hours per month and the material was not interesting. I hate myself for this. I read history of science books to while away the time on Sundays. But that is history. Never mind it.
When I was laid off from COVID-19 this early summer, I finally had the time to FaceTime my niece and help her with her homework. I have taught he about circuits. I got so passionate about it I am reading through her little book and reproducing the material myself. Harkens back to my physics programme. I think to myself, goodness this is so interesting I should do this for a living. I should re-study electromagnetism, re-study algebra, number series, pass the exams, become an apprentice, and be an electrician. It will be a hard transition, hard on my body, among other challenges, but it will be worth it. Physics is in part the source of our national prosperity. I cannot become a physicist because I have been too long out of the field, do not have a Ph.D., but perhaps I can be an electrician!

My questions thus

I want to move into electrical work by the end of summer.

Thank you all in advance.

Canadian spelling. Nice try Frunk. Just remember, macmikeman is always right.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 612

Quote:

Just being honest here.

Helmet is 100% correct. If you could major in physics EE would be a breeze. No disrespect here either but you don’t sound like the type who could stomach crawling through muddy crawl spaces when it is 10 degrees outside nor in an attic when it is 90 degrees outside.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tremblay View Post
see how they immediately tried to troll you? first post, was an attempt to hurt you.
If you want to have a good experience on this forum, and avoid racist, and trolls.
read my signature below.
@CoolWill was my first friend ever on ET... so I guess you better block me too.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tremblay View Post
see how they immediately tried to troll you? first post, was an attempt to hurt you.
If you want to have a good experience on this forum, and avoid racist, and trolls.
read my signature below.
Game over.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,082

The OP is probably long gone
UseAsDirected likes this.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
No Longer Here

Rewards Points: 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickservice View Post
@CoolWill was my first friend ever on ET... so I guess you better block me too.
I know how he approaches new fish...

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 8.21.42 AM.png
Views: 41
Size:  53.7 KB
CoolWill and UseAsDirected like this.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #20
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I know how he approaches new fish...