hello I'm new - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default hello I'm new

Hello I am just starting off this electrical thing I'm very interested and I want to learn I live in Santa ana, ca
santacruz714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Fried Bologna um um good!

Welcome.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks I hope to learn and grow from this useful site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruz714 View Post
Thanks I hope to learn and grow from this useful site

Me too!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,198

Welcome to the forum. Are you currently working as an electrician?
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #7

Default Please help

I currently work as an assistant/helper for a small electrician company, but I am very motivated to learn and start off in this field I would like to star off by going to school since most apprentice ships require experience and knowledge I entered this forum to get valuable information and advice I live in orange county and I am looking for a good school in my are any suggestions or advice out there? I also wanted to know what all you think about Wyotech and other schools like this please help thank you
Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 522

Welcome to the forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheBrushMan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm gonna take a stab here and say you are non-union. It's great you want to learn, but you got to make sure it all counts. Ask your boss about schooling. Try to get him to pay for it or at least a good portion of it. Make every hour count towards getting your certification. State law requires that you are to be a registered apprentice. There is no such thing as an assistant/helper in the world of a C-10 unless you happen to be the chick in the office.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #10

yeah its non union its a very small handyman/ residential electrician company I mean The owner is Paying me while i learn, but I am not really learning what I would like its mostly labor with skills picked up here and there that's why i would like to go to school and get licensed,again any info on schools or how to start the trade will be helpful. I'm currently looking into wyotech's program any one have any advice on how the trade looks at this school any graduates out there please help.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruz714 View Post
Hello I am just starting off this electrical thing I'm very interested and I want to learn I live in Santa ana, ca
Being a union electrician the advice I can give you is contact IBEW local #441 (714)-939-3131. Their apprenticeship director is Dave Longhorn, I am sure he can give you sound advice on which direction to take with school.
Brother Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 77
Default learning while you work

wax on wax off wax on wax off..........I didnt even understand wire gauge till my third year as a helper. ( all wires were white back then) lol
vasparky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 12

Welcome.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #14

well I called my local ABC today, they told me in detail about their apprentice program, but when I asked hows the Acceptance rate right now he simply told me that they really aren't any so I Asked about any schooling programs that they might have, but the only other program they offer is continuing education for licensed contractors or journeymen, I already knew this just wanted to give it a try all apprentice ships are slow right now because of the bad economy, I'm going to all my local community colleges tomorrow and see whats going on in that world any other advice for me out there also why does no one talk about Wyotech is it that bad of a school, so far if heard only a hand full of bad reviews everyone says its a good staring school one of my co-workers is also a neighbor of an instructor at the school and I spoke to him and he told me the facts strait. He said its a good program to get into that the electrician field is always growing but he did tell me to check out other schools and make sure I know what I'll get into If i go there, but he told me that it is a good program and that students are finding good paying jobs at the moment. any one have any info please help I'm really confused thank you!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,002

PM me and I can give the number of a few buddies of mine that went through the abc in socal. If your really interested.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,002

ABC is a good program, and there is a good chance you will be on prevailing wage jobs, you get the time off of work two weeks twice a year for school which you are allowed to collect unemployment on and you'll learn a lot hands on of useful work experience, Wyotech, is okay too, but its very expensive where as ABC is free, Wyo tech you'l learn a little bit about everything and is better suited in my opinion for some one to be a maintenance factory electrician. The hours don't really allow you to work for an electrical contractor in conjunction with the class schedule. ABC would be my first choice and if your to dumb to pass the test pay the 17000 for wyotech. I have a buddy that went to wyotech too that can answer your questions.

Last edited by Bkessler; 09-03-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Bkessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #17
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

sup dude.........
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #18

What abc test are u talking about I haven't heard about a test are, you talking about the trainee or acceptance test. The other thing that comes to my mind is if it is a bad idea to enter a program like this without much knowledge or experience like I said I was just a helper/laborer I really don't have much knowledge that's why I want to go to school has anyone heard of the southern California institute of technology any reviews out there.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #19

What does ur friend think of wyotech what does his situation look like is he finding work does he receive respect in the field or is his schooling considered a joke i've been told that people from this school are always looked down on and most employers won't hire them I would also like to mention that I have seen the program and it would fit in my schedule I currently work days with the small company I mentioned, and I work graveyard shifts as a security guard so I have plenty of time to study at work let me know what your wyotech friend thinks a bout the school thank you for all the help

Last edited by santacruz714; 09-04-2010 at 02:10 PM.