Hello, my first post on the forums! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Hello, my first post on the forums!

I've been lurking on the forums for some time now and I decided to introduce myself.

I'm 22 years and I received my construction electricity diploma from a tech school last may. I started my apprenticeship 2 weeks ago for a small company that does a little of everything. I'm loving every part of the trade so far. Theres alot of differences between the things they teach in school and in the real life work. I never learned to work with a drill in school and it may be the most important tool I use on the job.

We are 3 in the company so I pretty much get to see, learn and work on everything for scratch to finish! I'm currently in the local 568 (in québec)

This week I've got the chance to re-wire an old apartment building. I think it was built in the 20's. What's up with the K&T wiring??? lol, it got my confused all week long . This stuff is dangerous!

Anyway, i'm glad that I found this site!

Have a nice day!

Mat Gagné

*sorry for spelling and grammar, english is not my main language
soapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Greetings and welcome!

K&T was pretty common 'back in the day'. Sometime inthe future, electrician will wonder how we wired homes with NM....
Old 09-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 524

Welcome to the site!
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome to the forum.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Knob and tube was the accepted practice during the first half of the last century.

So, any older buildings that were wired during that era will have had it installed, many of which are still in service today.

The best thing I can suggest is disconnect and remove as much of it as possible, making your rewire effort worthwhile.

Votre anglais est très bon pour une deuxième langue.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote