Help Career advise - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By lighterup
  • 2 Post By Switched

Old 01-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Help Career advise

Hi every one I have been an avid reader of this sight for 3+ years and have always found others post topics helpful - Thank You.
I am a 35 year old Journeyman in training with a little over 2,000hrs of field time in the state of Maine. I am a graduate of a community college electrical program. I unforchently came to the electrical field after severely damaging my back while working as a paramedic. I haven't had any issues with my back until i was working with 500MCM in a cable tray trying to pull it up into a panel
Now my Boss is pissed cause I have been laid up for a week and half not able to due really anything. long story short I think I may need to move into a low voltage direction but no next to nothing about that field. It should be noted that I live in Rural Maine. I have always wanted to work for my self doing small residential jobs but not sure if the back can take it.Working for myself would be my ultimate goal but I don't no if low voltage can pay the bills.
thanks for reading this.
Raven Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

Low voltage stuff is the biggest pain in my "back" if you were to ask me.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Sun View Post
Hi every one I have been an avid reader of this sight for 3+ years and have always found others post topics helpful - Thank You.
I am a 35 year old Journeyman in training with a little over 2,000hrs of field time in the state of Maine. I am a graduate of a community college electrical program. I unforchently came to the electrical field after severely damaging my back while working as a paramedic. I haven't had any issues with my back until i was working with 500MCM in a cable tray trying to pull it up into a panel
Now my Boss is pissed cause I have been laid up for a week and half not able to due really anything. long story short I think I may need to move into a low voltage direction but no next to nothing about that field. It should be noted that I live in Rural Maine. I have always wanted to work for my self doing small residential jobs but not sure if the back can take it.Working for myself would be my ultimate goal but I don't no if low voltage can pay the bills.
thanks for reading this.
If I were you and if you haven't already done so , I would
immediately file a workers compensation claim on this.

Do not allow anyone to intimidate you otherwise.

You are still very young and a back problem that is
persistent (even if it was pre existing condition to
your current employment) can eventually develop
into a major problem that could leave you unemployed.

Injury history & documenting same will be critical to any
future claims.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,552

Welcome aboard @Raven Sun!

Don't write yourself off as of yet.

Once the back is better I'd go back but being very careful of what you are lifting and trying to move around.

The service end of things can be your saving grace in the long run. If that doesn't pan out ther eis also good money in fire alarms and similar areas.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 508

Welcome, I get over your way to Rangeley and Sugarloaf occasionally. I try to stop is the Loony Moose in Stratton for home made corned beef hash.
Occupational and Physical should help out your back. I find that twisting in odd positions is harder on a back than heavy lifting and low voltage work has a lot of that.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Can't sign em..forget em

Not a doctor here , but if a disc slipped that could be a
future problem waiting to happen again... turn just the right
way (or should I say wrong way) and your legs instantly
quit working...down you go....if not a double ham string
pull problem for life.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,592

This is what I absolutely hate about the trades. Your boss is a complete prick and has no concern for you as a human being. This is why I tell everyone to stay away from the trades. These contractors use your best years and then treat you like trash once the body can't take the abuse anymore.

My suggestion is file workers claim and lay low during that recovery time but research other fields that might suit your interest.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg7879 View Post
This is what I absolutely hate about the trades. Your boss is a complete prick and has no concern for you as a human being. This is why I tell everyone to stay away from the trades. These contractors use your best years and then treat you like trash once the body can't take the abuse anymore.

My suggestion is file workers claim and lay low during that recovery time but research other fields that might suit your interest.
Bitter.... lol....

You either have just worked for one ass after another or you have a poor attitude.

The trades are difficult on the body and it can be a demanding career choice. My BIL is in the financial industry, sits at a desk day after day, hour after hour. He has issues with his back, neck, and will likely have carpal tunnel too.

Now... His boss should be handling the situation better, and the OP needs to get medical attention, via WC.

The grass always looks greener on the other side.....
lighterup and PokeySmokey like this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 330

Quote:

All reasons why guys quit bosses, not companies. A good tradesman is worth far more for what's between the ears than a strong back.

And 500 MCM is almost always proof that a moron planned the job. 500 is right on the edge of something you can handle. I got special tools like benders on the truck that I only need for that crap. It is cheaper to buy, fewer hours to install, and higher ampacity with double 350s over one 500 or triple 350s over two 500s even after derating. Dumb ass book smart engineers that don't have a lick of common sense specify 500. Why they haven't found 600, 750, 1000, or 1250 is just dumb luck. If you have to do 500, DLO or some other fine strand stuff can be a life saver. I've only speced out 500 intentionally once and that's because it was a retrofit and only way to do it. The best use for it is to use a three foot piece as a club to beat the crap out of whoever ordered it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Bitter.... lol....

You either have just worked for one ass after another or you have a poor attitude.

The trades are difficult on the body and it can be a demanding career choice. My BIL is in the financial industry, sits at a desk day after day, hour after hour. He has issues with his back, neck, and will likely have carpal tunnel too.

Now... His boss should be handling the situation better, and the OP needs to get medical attention, via WC.

The grass always looks greener on the other side.....
I am not bitter it is just the god damn truth.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Can't sign em..forget em

Quote:
I am not bitter it is just the god damn truth.
The last employer I worked for (1999) had a reputation for
giving guys their walking papers once they hit 40 yrs old.

The guy was piece of