Help! From Virginia. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Help! From Virginia.

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to the forums and am aspiring to get my Journeyman Electricians license and eventually my Contractors as well.

I was wondering would an Associates Degree in Applied Science and over 10 years of PC hardware, Server Room design and maintenance, and software administration.

On my application I selected 2 years Education and 2 Years Experience. My question is will the State recognize this and allow me to take the tests?

Many thanks in advance!

Nick
nicholasxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 60

Welcome
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 24

1. How much actually time in the trade do you have.
2. How much of an approved apprenticeship course have you completed?
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post

1. Officially none
2. Zero

I am guessing its not looking too good.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasxy View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to the forums and am aspiring to get my Journeyman Electricians license and eventually my Contractors as well.

I was wondering would an Associates Degree in Applied Science and over 10 years of PC hardware, Server Room design and maintenance, and software administration.

On my application I selected 2 years Education and 2 Years Experience. My question is will the State recognize this and allow me to take the tests?

Many thanks in advance!

Nick

For your work experience, you must have a notorized letter from your employer stating your "electrical related duties" and how long you have been doing them on their clock. It's up to the state if those duties qualify as on the job experience. Have you notorized a letter? does it describe your duties?
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post

1. I dont have actual trade time but my work is all electronics based. I was A+ certified early in my career focusing on hardware and printer repair.

2. None
Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
For your work experience, you must have a notorized letter from your employer stating your "electrical related duties" and how long you have been doing them on their clock. It's up to the state if those duties qualify as on the job experience. Have you notorized a letter? does it describe your duties?

I have 2 employers that have signed off on the relevant experience forms. Most of my responsibilities have been helping with building Computer rooms\Data Centers. I help out with power distribution, HVAC planning, cable and network wiring. After that I rack and mount servers and UPS systems, I also do some UPS maintenance.

My main responsibilities would be Server administration and Hardware administration. That I do full time.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

download the candidate information bulletin from the va state website. it tells you everything you need to know. If none of your work was working under a master electrician performing electrical work, the work experience will probably not be usable. Don't know about the schooling.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks in advance!

Nick
Look here.........http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/dporweb/tra_main.cfm

Welcome to the forum......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
I have 2 employers that have signed off on the relevant experience forms. Most of my responsibilities have been helping with building Computer rooms\Data Centers. I help out with power distribution, HVAC planning, cable and network wiring. After that I rack and mount servers and UPS systems, I also do some UPS maintenance.

My main responsibilities would be Server administration and Hardware administration. That I do full time.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you do not have the required electrical rated experience and your past employers saying you do. None of the work you mentioned would get you the required experience here.

Welcome to the forum!
Bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

What part of Virginia? I'm not sure if the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee gives credit for things like that, but I can ask tomorrow at school. I'm in Richmond, so that is assuming a few things. 1, that all JATCs across the board have the same guidelines on this and 2, you'd want to go into a union apprenticeship program. Anyway, if you'd like me to find out, let me know

K.
MollyHatchet29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLovelace29 View Post
What part of Virginia? I'm not sure if the Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee gives credit for things like that, but I can ask tomorrow at school. I'm in Richmond, so that is assuming a few things. 1, that all JATCs across the board have the same guidelines on this and 2, you'd want to go into a union apprenticeship program. Anyway, if you'd like me to find out, let me know

K.
I think the rest of the guys here are right. My past experience is with servers and helping to design server rooms. The most electrical thing I have done is put together ups' and then installing them.

While doing research on the va website, it seemed like an Associates in an electrical type field. With 2 years of "Electrical" experience, would allow me to at least study for and take the exam.

I would appreciate any information you could possibly get ty! Oh yeah I am located in Fairfax. (I know lame.)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #13

Sorry to be somewhat off topic...

Could someone point me to where I can get more information on having employers sign off on work experience for certification? I'm an aspiring electrician, but I work in the field doing the legwork for a team of engineers. The most disappointing aspect of this job is that isn't not providing any sort of paper, although the experience is great. If it's possible to have my experience and time here count towards a certification, that would be amazing.

Btw, I'm in Tennessee, not VA.
de93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by de93 View Post
Sorry to be somewhat off topic...

Could someone point me to where I can get more information on having employers sign off on work experience for certification? I'm an aspiring electrician, but I work in the field doing the legwork for a team of engineers. The most disappointing aspect of this job is that isn't not providing any sort of paper, although the experience is great. If it's possible to have my experience and time here count towards a certification, that would be amazing.

Btw, I'm in Tennessee, not VA.

If your state requires a license to do electrical work I'm sure they have a website with all the information you need. In NC your experience must e electrical related for the most part. Your past employers have to sign a notarized form stating you have the experience. I am surprised the op's past employers signed off on his sheet. I don't think the he experience he posted would not count towards his hours needed here.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #15

Look here....

http://tn.gov/commerce/boards/contractors/
Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #16
Speed Demon

Rewards Points: 75

Sorry. No. I am licensed as a master and contractor in virginia and did my apprenticeship here. 4 years of approved electrical apprenticeship program or ten years directly in the field. Sorry buddy but you also have to have a masters in virginia to get a contractors license as in most states. You need to stick with electronics IMO
Seannorva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #17
Speed Demon

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLovelace29

K.
The JATC has nothing to do with licensing in this situation. And why should he go union and start off as an R-1 or if he's lucky get the inside A side and make fifteen an hour tops. Stick w electronics.
Seannorva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seannorva View Post
The JATC has nothing to do with licensing in this situation. And why should he go union and start off as an R-1 or if he's lucky get the inside A side and make fifteen an hour tops. Stick w electronics.
Everybody has to start somewhere. And what difference does it make, if he doesn't have the experience, you think a non-union employer is gonna start him at journeymans wages?
The raises come quick anyway. My local was 2 per year if hours and grades were good.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,540

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks in advance!

Nick
get your low volt licence.