Industrial Electrician (Retired) Mobile, AL. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By AWW
  • 1 Post By Majewski
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By Jhellwig
  • 1 Post By drsparky
  • 3 Post By AWW
  • 1 Post By drsparky
  • 1 Post By LARMGUY

Old 09-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
AWW

Rewards Points: 42
Talking Industrial Electrician (Retired) Mobile, AL.

My name is Alan...
My first 6 years in the field of electricity was 1 year wiring new Navy ships then 5 years maintaining electrical equipment in the shipyard including the 13.8kv distribution system.
Then I worked for the Alabama State Port Authority as a Port Electrician for 34 years. Worked on Shiploaders, Bucket Cranes for unloading ships, Bargeloaders & Unloaders, Train loaders and unloaders (Car Dumper), Stacker/Reclaimers. This equipment moves coal at a rate of several thousand tons per hour.
My job (and other's job too) keep it running. If it stops, figure out why, get it going again. This required knowledge of 23kv distribution systems; 4.160kv motors and starters for same; PLC's from various manufactures including some automation.
I held a Master Electrician's Card for decades until I recently let it go.
I am retired, don't plan on going back to work but I still love the field so I try to follow it closely.

Alan, W4WMM
Majewski, MikeFL and gesparky222 like this.
AWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

Very cool history!!!! Glad you joined the forum Alan!
AWW likes this.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 522

Welcome aboard Alan! Hope you enjoy retirement and the forum.
AWW likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,722

Congratulations on quite a career.
Enjoy the retirement!
AWW likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,457

Welcome. Good to see another guy in the industrial side.
AWW likes this.

Obey your Master.
Jhellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 482

Welcome, I did industrial for years but now most of my work is with a laptop to troubleshooting and repairs.
AWW likes this.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
AWW

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Welcome, I did industrial for years but now most of my work is with a laptop to troubleshooting and repairs.

All most everything on my plant was either connected to a network or needed a laptop to plug into it, read error codes, change program parameters, upload them for safekeeping and on and on. Three of our cranes are connected to the Internet so the Engineer can "dial in" from anywhere in the world if we have something we couldn't figure out by ourselves.

We joked about hanging our tool pouches up and just carry a laptops and portable hard drives.

One of my favorite "toys" was the Data Recorder on the ABB system. An operator could say he had problems at 0200 and I could go the data recorder and playback an on screen automation showing what he was doing, what alarms or warning he received and show a limited number of I/O's state. And even though I wasn't there at 0200 it would be like I was and most of the time figure out what happened and fix it.
drsparky, Majewski and MikeFL like this.
AWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 482

In the morning I have a cup of coffee and sort through email alarms, ether fix them remotely or prep to visit a site. I'm in my mid 50s so no more 4" ridged for me.
AWW likes this.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,838

Welcome, Enjoy the Surf!

If there's an one aspect of the electrical trade I really wish I had an
opportunity to work in would be industrial work.

I'm Jealous, Good Luck with retirement.
AWW (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 550

Howdy from Oklahoma!

Check this one out retiredone.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/one-books-176209/
AWW likes this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #11
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2

Thats was a cool biography of you. Spending so many years in the same field is an achievement. Please share your knowledge and experience with us so that we can learn from you. Wish you all the best.
Jasom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jasom For This Useful Post:
AWW (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 8,590

I absolutly love George. Last time I was there I took a day to do 26 miles on the Appalachian trail.

I love Waffle House too, does that make me weird?
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 384

Welcome
This is a great place to learn, if you are going to ask something please give as much info as you can, most will help if given the info needed.

If you do post please return and give us the outcome of the question, so many people ask a question and never return, the people on here spend the time to answer it and never know if it helped. It is also good for the next person searching for answers.