Just a quick question. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By wcord
  • 1 Post By LARMGUY
  • 2 Post By Wirenuting
  • 1 Post By eddy current
  • 1 Post By wcord

Old 07-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Default Just a quick question.

So ive been working in residential for 1 1/2 years and was wondering if your company supplys your work tools? Now what im refering to is a holehawg for drilling out, maybe a sds for concrete drilling things like that. Ive been having to use my personal tools for tasks that i deem as their responsibility. Not everyone has $500 to buy a sds but since i have one they want me to burn through mine. Thanks.
KenoDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenoDavid View Post
So ive been working in residential for 1 1/2 years and was wondering if your company supplys your work tools? Now what im refering to is a holehawg for drilling out, maybe a sds for concrete drilling things like that. Ive been having to use my personal tools for tasks that i deem as their responsibility. Not everyone has $500 to buy a sds but since i have one they want me to burn through mine. Thanks.
You should not be suppling any tools other than your hand tools.

However, we all know that a lot of guys will bring extra tools, such as battery tools, which will make it easier for themselves.
That is your choice to do so.
But no company should be asking or expecting you to supply such tools.
i would suggest in the future, you keep quite about any extra tools you have at home. Even if the company is willing to pay for repairs, that tool will worn out and worth nothing
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,974

That depends on what was agreed/requested to be supplied when you started the job. (which should have been taken in to account during pay negotiations)

Ive had company's pay me extra per hour, lump sum payment per year and a few that just considered that you came with tools.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 978

Did you sign a tool usage policy document? Do they even have one? My old company had a policy I was to use their tools only on the job and they would provide them. I could not borrow their tools for personal use.

If I wanted to bring and use my own tools I did so at my own risk of theft or damage. It worked out great.
wcord likes this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,233

Only hand tools, the employer supplies power tools. Unless you work for a cheapo contractor. The union contractor I've been working for supplies uni-bits, hole sawz, roto-zips, etc. and all the Makita power tools you can think of, plus John Deere Gators, ladders, lifts, Pettybones, job boxes, cargotainers, bottled water, benders, and apprentices.
But, we don't do residential.......ever.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #6
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 7,804

Quote:
Yours just broke.
Now what is your boss going to do, hand you a dull star bit for your hammer?
99cents and Superman like this.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
Even if the company is willing to pay for repairs, that tool will worn out and worth nothing
I have some very nice tools due to company's paying to repair or replace tools. They never ask if it worked before i brought it from home. Bring in a old craftmans drill from a yard sale with a bad battery trade it in for a brand new M18.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 110

union or non union ...its the employers responsibility to provide at minimum all power tols.what if you get hurt we the boss tell you it was your tool your problem...BULL --IT
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
Light Bender

Rewards Points: 8,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
union or non union ...its the employers responsibility to provide at minimum all power tols.what if you get hurt we the boss tell you it was your tool your problem...BULL --IT
Is there an actual legislation where you live that says it is the employers responsibility?
Here, employers must provide safety gear and training, but no tools.
Some unions have tool lists for workers that they negotiate with the contractors, and some non union shops will also tell the employees when they start what tools they must supply, but there is nothing legally requiring employers to provide tools.
splatz likes this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
I have some very nice tools due to company's paying to repair or replace tools. They never ask if it worked before i brought it from home. Bring in a old craftmans drill from a yard sale with a bad battery trade it in for a brand new M18.
So, you're saying that you have ripped off your boss?
Now, that's loyalty.
John Valdes likes this.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #11

Coming from framing company i thought it was odd how they dont really supply many tools. Its like pulling nails to get a new holehawg bit. Its a big company with over 100+ people, but the way they run it makes no sense. Thanks for the feedback i will be looking elsewhere in the near future.
KenoDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,056

Quote:
Coming from framing company i thought it was odd how they dont really supply many tools. Its like pulling nails to get a new holehawg bit. Its a big company with over 100+ people, but the way they run it makes no sense. Thanks for the feedback i will be looking elsewhere in the near future.
That's crazy.

The union tool list is understandable, you supply what's on the list and life is simple, it's agreed upon in advance and it makes sense. The only part that maybe doesn't make sense is having an apprentice making $jack with zero paychecks under his belt show up with the same tools as a guy making $nice with years under his belt.

There's a union mentality that any contractor that asks anyone to supply any power tool or consumable is scrooge. This is of course ridiculous. If someone paid you $10 over scale but you had to supply your own battery drill, are they scrooge? What if they make you bring your own roll of tape? No deal, you walk? Shrewd, brother.

But a big company jacking around to see if they can borrow a pretty basic, necessary tool from an employee rather than buying what they need - silly. Penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #13
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 543

Decent size HVAC contractor I have done work with in the past does not supply their employees with any tools. Boss gives them an annual tool allowance and they're expected to supply all of them. I might be remembering wrong, but I think the number was somewhere in the area of $500 a year. This was 4-5 years ago.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,198

You should have your own hand tools. We provide all power tools,bits, blades and tips.

Tho i know some of my guys use their own battery operated tools cause they like makita and dewalt.....I will only buy Milwaukee battery tools.

I know a lot of contractors in my area expect their employees to have all their own power tools.
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 9,320

Quote:
Take it in for service. Let the boss know it will be in for a few weeks.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote