Michigander Equipment Sparky - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By CMP
  • 1 Post By 460 Delta
  • 1 Post By J F Go
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon

Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #1
CMP

Rewards Points: 134
Default Michigander Equipment Sparky

Hello, fellow members and moderators.

I have looked at this board for a while, thought that I could sign in and make some contributions and learn more about situations that I don't come across in my normal work.

I work mostly on plant and commercial equipment installs, interlocking, modifications and repairs.

Have worked in many different industries over the years. Started in a family business servicing and refurbishing restaurant equipment back in the late 70's. Moved on to servicing a fleet of trucks for a few years and self employed mechanic. Then a short stint at an automotive testing lab.

From there I started in the electrical trade with a partner. That lasted for about a decade, and have been running my own shop for the last 24 years. Time flies, when you enjoy what you do.

Wanted to share some ideas and lessons learned along the way, and hopefully learn something new.

CMP Ω
MechanicalDVR and dronai like this.
CMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,234

Welcome aboard CMP, even though you're from that state up north!
CMP likes this.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 182

Welcome from Maine
CMP likes this.
J F Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 490

Welcome to the forums. What kind of (electrical) work does your shop do?
CMP likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Hey CMP,

Looking to hire an apprentice?
tryingtomakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
CMP

Default What my gig is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post

It has varied over the years as customer come and go, seems like I outlast a lot of them.

For quite a few years my specialty, was working with mechanical contractors doing industrial ventilation projects. Paint Booths, Prep Stations, Paint Mix and Storage Rooms.Dust and Mist Collectors. Air Make Up units, Ovens, Conveyors. Fire Alarm and Equipment Shutdown Interlocking. Paint Robots and Paint Reciprocators. Air compressors, CNC Machines, Presses, Tool Room Machinery, Printing Press's, Wood Milling and lumberyard equipment, HVAC equipment, Cement Plants, Oil Recycler's, and varied other process equipment.

When I started and had a partner, we did large custom homes, gasoline stations and retail stores, fast food build-outs and remodels, lighting services in malls and parking lots, bank remodels and new locations, general construction wiring and remodeling in commercial spaces.

In the shop I work on whatever equipment gets dragged in the door, including my own.
Service calls and troubleshooting for my local motor shop, when it's control related problem their customer is having. Build control panels to fit the various job needs. Recondition motor and machine controls and busway components. Fabricate or design and farm out custom equipment parts needed for the customer. Repair mobile construction equipment,like floor grinders and sanders, dust collectors on wheeled carts.

In slower times, I do some networking equipment and wireless installs. Repair and reload computers for people in my circles.

In short my job entails filling my customers needs and keeping them happy and keeping me out of trouble.

CMP Ω
Old 10-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
CMP

Default Hire an Apprentice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeit View Post
Hey CMP, Looking to hire an apprentice?

I have a very good greenhorn, I'm working with now. But if you send a private message about yourself and some contact information, I can keep an eye out for you.

In the past, I've had helpers, provided by the shop that I'm working at, want to get in the trade, and ask me for employment. Usually I tell them to seek out work at a local electric contractor close to them, that does more standard construction type work.

And If I have knowledge of their aptitude and work ethic, I will make a referral, to an employer of their choosing. I'v done this a few times and it has worked well for them. Some may even participate or read here, don't really know...

Its always best to learn your basics first, it requires being engaged, studying the material for your trade on your own time, and learning how to apply that knowledge.

SAF Ω
Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
CMP

Quote:

I replied to your earlier, I think it's still awaiting moderation???

CMP Ω
Old 10-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,904

Welcome aboard @CMP!

Enjoy your ride here.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 162

Welcome to Electrician Talk CMP.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #11
CMP

Default Types of Work, Michigander Sparky.

Quote:

It looks like a couple of the post's I made, after signing up didn't make it through. So let me try it again.

The work we do is is pretty diverse, mostly industrial and commercial equipment. For many years I have worked closely with a few mechanical and paint supplier contractors. Once inside a customers facility doing a job with a contractor, I often get repeat customers, from the end user facility, for their other work. This has been my customer base for many years. I also have a motor shop nearby that sends me work, when one of their customers has problems, with controls or equipment, that a motor won't solve.

Types of equipment installed and serviced include:
Paint Booths, Prep Stations, Air Make Up's, Oven's, Conveyors, Fire Systems, Compressed Air Systems, Equipment Interlocking, Dust and Mist Collectors, Tool Room Equipment, CNC Machines, Printing Presses, Presses for Therm o-forming, Gluing, Stamping, Mixers for Cement and Food. Oil Recycling Plant Equipment, Plant Production Lines, Industrial Temp Controls, Burner Equipment, Municipal Equipment.

When required, do some service replacements and modifications, to support equipment installs. Not too much construction or residential work, but can be pressed into that, if it's from a member of my circle, or from one of the existing customers.

At the shop, we refurbish many types of equipment, build control panels, some mechanical equipment repair, refurbish controls for field jobs. Maintain the trucks and our own equipment. As a side gig repair computers and install wireless networks and equipment.

My philosophy is to do every job, as if it were your own, even if the customer has no clue what their looking at. I want it done right the first time, so I don't have to mess with it again. It seems to be working, I have never had to advertise, since entering the trade in 1985.

You can't find any better advertisement than a satisfied customer.
I like to compete on skill, workmanship and service, not the lowest price. That's a hard thing for many customers to find. The best value and trust, is what they like.

Passing inspection the first time, is also one of the priorities. With specialty equipment that sometimes means meeting at the site, and answering inspectors questions, as they may not be informed on specific equipment. Made some good friends that way over the years. At code update classes, I like to sit at their lunch table, you can get some good job leads from them, when you talk about the kinds of jobs that you do.

CMP Ω
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #12
CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
Welcome to Electrician Talk CMP.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.

No problem filling in the profile, but I cant seem to get a post out, if I originate it.

Trying here again to see if the reply post will get through. Two other try's, where I was the originator, didn't work.

Any ideas whats up with my account?

CMP Ω
Old 11-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP View Post
No problem filling in the profile, but I cant seem to get a post out, if I originate it.

Trying here again to see if the reply post will get through. Two other try's, where I was the originator, didn't work.

Any ideas whats up with my account?

CMP Ω
The software is picking your long posts as spam and making them need approval. I approved them but try shortening your posts and maybe this wont happen
CMP likes this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #14
Work Speaks for Itself

Rewards Points: 202
Default ...

i didnt want to be "that guy", but i will anyways.

It sounds to me after reading all of your posts, i have not read one thing you have actually done. Your "shop" has done everything under the sun, and it more closely sounds like your either a business owner or the manager of said company.

there i said it. please prove me wrong, and if so, heh hey thanks for joining and glad to help.
phamousgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:42 AM   #15
CMP

Well, obviously you are that guy, that's OK by me. It is, what it is.

I have made a few other posts, but like the ones mentioned here, earlier, they didn't get through. As you must have read, they were too long and were getting filtered. So I don't want to waste more time, if it's not getting through.

I do own the company, but do the field work too, only have had one apprentice at a time since, since 1985.

I posted one about truck outfitting, how to make it organized, time saving, organized and safe during a collision. I only put part of the story, cause it was long. But it got filtered out anyway, so I concluded that those type posts are not welcome on the forum here. I don't care to make one line post's. So I backed off for now. Not sure what your looking for?

You can see a similar post above, that is basically a double post. Both of those got filtered for a week, due to being considered spam. So I stopped wasting time on it. Maybe this one will get waylaid too?
Old 11-12-2019, 03:00 AM   #16
CMP

I listed the type of projects I do, but I'm pretty sure I can't even post a photo yet. There are many, but I need to get a post count up before then.

Bantering with you, may help in that regard. How about your avatar? Do you install many of your panels horizontal?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 PM   #17
Work Speaks for Itself

Rewards Points: 202

Thank you for replying. Glad for any insight you can offer or have etc. sry i dont log in here very often, but when i do ....
phamousgrey is offline   Reply With Quote