Mississauga, ON, Canada - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
1st Yr/Apprentice

Rewards Points: 10
Default Mississauga, ON, Canada

Hey, I am almost 1 month into my job so far, and I started by taking a 1 year pre-trade electrician course at Sheridan College, in Oakville about 30 mins away.

I really enjoyed the course and started looking for a job, I applied with my YMCA and after 1 1/2 months of searching the Y called me and said they got an interview for me with an electrical contractor. I really lucked out because I'm signing up for my apprenticeship this coming Friday, and they like to keep people as long as they want to keep working. So I won't be looking for a job every year or so and I'm being put to work right away no coffee runs

Plus the college course I took gave us a tool pouch with all the starting tools I needed. The funny thing was the electrician I'm currently working with said my wire strippers, side cutters, philipshead screwdriver and some other things were not going last long and yeah the first week I was struggling to use those tools. So he told me Klein Tools were really good for drivers and pliers, so I lucked out again Lowes is having a 2 month 50% off sale on all Klein Tools which really helped cause I pretty much replaced every tool I had and added a few more.

Anyways I'm really enjoying myself it's hard work long days but I feel like I'm really accomplishing something everyday, I see new places and I think I'll end up liking it in the long run.
19ninetynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I'm about 2 weeks worth of classes finishing my pre-trade course at st. clair college in Windsor. It would be interesting if we could compare the twos syllabus. The math, theory, code is pretty common but the installations(labs) I've noticed is pretty different from school to school. Our labs were:

-wiring circuits, in all sorts of combos, 3-ways, 4-ways, multiple lights, multiple switches, etc
-wiring dryer, range receptacle
-wiring in emt
-bending emt(saddle bends, offsets, box offsets, 3 points, and combinations of all of them. we also bent a rigid project
-electronics labs- the basic stuff with and gates, or gates, inverters, oscilloscope usage, etc. I really didn't may much attention to this crap as it doesn't really interest me, still pulling over 80 though.
-now we are on motor control, forward, reverse, multiple start buttons, stop buttons, push button interlocking, electrical interlocking, and combos off all of that, next week is jogging circuits.

is that basically what you guys went through? and are you entertaining the idea of writing the first year exemption exam??

I never knew the Y helped secure apprenticeship. Anyways good to here from someone who went through a similar program secure apprenticeship. Good luck bro.
PORUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
1st Yr/Apprentice

Yeah everything you did, we did, there's pretty much no difference. The YMCA I think after a month they will try to hook you up with companies because for the first month it seemed they just told me what to do for myself they didn't say they'd help me contact people. I'd sign up with them for sure since it helped me out.

It's not so much they helped me get an apprenticeship I just lucked out that the company that hired me was interested it training someone from scratch so I wouldn't have any baggage or bad techniques I'd have to break.

I didn't know there was a first year exemption exam, but I'll probably just do the full 5 years since that way I'll get more experience I suppose.

Good luck to you too dude!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Morally Bankrupt

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ninetynine View Post
Anyways I'm really enjoying myself it's hard work long days but I feel like I'm really accomplishing something everyday, I see new places and I think I'll end up liking it in the long run.
Dude, I totally respect your attitude. You are going to go far in this trade. Welcome.
Big City Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
1st Yr/Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big City Electrician View Post
Dude, I totally respect your attitude. You are going to go far in this trade. Welcome.

Thanks so much!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

What are job prospects like in the Niagara region? I grew up in Buffalo, and have lots of relatives/friends in Hamilton, Oakville and St Catherines. I love that part of the world (in the summer). Work here in Arizona seems on the verge of coming back, but it's still hit and miss most weeks.
ichimo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 20

Heck I just like the name "Mississauga". The young kids have a lot to learn in early spelling classes.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
1st Yr/Apprentice

Mississauga is just outside Toronto which is ofcourse Canada's largest city and Ontario's Provincial Capitol. Toronto's Pearson Airport which is also one of the buissiest aiports in North America is technically located in Mississauga but they call it Toronto's. The area outside Toronto is refered to the GTA Greater Toronto Area which includes Mississauga and Oakville among other cities. I work at Pearson and lots of Gas Station's in Ontario and Mississauga is a great city but it's getting really big now so it could change. Anyways I thought I'd share that for ****s and giggles
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,008

I always refer to Mississauga as HazelVille.. One feisty Woman that gets things done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't fight .. Play nice!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Toronto Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Good luck to you.
electric_avenue is offline   Reply With Quote