New apprentice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83
Default New apprentice

Hello all I am from tampa,florida and thinking about signing up for the local IBEW...

Any advice of last minute words before I join and start working?
pyroracing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroracing85 View Post
Hello all I am from tampa,florida and thinking about signing up for the local IBEW...
Any advice of last minute words before I join and start working?
Yes, I don't think it's as simple as signing up. At least I don't think they're that hard up in FL. It's not like joining the Army, where pretty much everyone who's medically fit can get in. It's a genuine interview/selection process.
What have your contacts with the IBEW been like so far?

By the way, welcome Pyro If you're salting the board, feel free. All perspectives of our trade are welcome, as long as you're nice.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Yes, I don't think it's as simple as signing up. At least I don't think they're that hard up in FL. It's not like joining the Army, where pretty much everyone who's medically fit can get in. It's a genuine interview/selection process.
What have your contacts with the IBEW been like so far?

By the way, welcome Pyro If you're salting the board, feel free. All perspectives of our trade are welcome, as long as you're nice.

oh no I already did the paper work and gave them my high school stuff and math and took the test and have not yet did the interview...

I can't wait. I come from a manufacturing background so the future did not look that bright. I hope the future looks bright in elecrity
pyroracing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 36

Welcome to the site.

I am a union contractor, and see pluses and minuses to both union and non-union. I find that these issues are best not discussed on some forums (not sure about this forum) as some people are overly sensitive pro and con anything union.

I will tread lightly and say work wise I see little difference, I have worked both. For me the big thing was higher pay, better health care and retirement that transfered from contractor to contractor. As an employeer I joined the union to give me employees the best as I saw it of all the items mentioned.

I do not believe in strikes or salting.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I find that these issues are best not discussed on some forums (not sure about this forum) as some people are overly sensitive pro and con anything union.
So far, it's not really a big deal here either way. It's nice to get all viewpoints. As long as people maintain their composure and don't name call and such, it's working fine to openly discuss union and non-union matters. I find electricians to be a little more adult about these things as compared with maybe bricklayers, for instance. Where the line will get drawn is when union vs non-union discussions cross over into political discussions, which is inevidably where they often end up.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote