New to the Forum - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default New to the Forum

Hi everyone. My name is Matt and I live in Greensburg, PA which is pretty close to Pittsburgh. I'm a former music teacher that decided to make a career change into the electrician field. I'm currently at a tech school in which I will graduate in Feb 2010. I haven't decided if I'm going residential, commercial or industrial yet but I have some time to think about that. So far I absolutely love the theory and the wiring I have done. It seems that this forum will be a valuable resource to me throughout my studies.
mccarltone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Semi-Retired

Rewards Points: 500

What will you do when everyone suggests that your time (let alone your money) is better spent actually working in the field and earning wages getting real world experience and doing that for a company that will pay to send you through apprentice (and later journeyman) training?

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #3

I'm actually using some VA education benefits I had left. The program I'm in will get me an associates degree which I can use to get a pretty decent job. Seems like a lot of the companies I've come across require the degree. Also the school's job placement doesn't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanMD View Post
What will you do when everyone suggests that your time (let alone your money) is better spent actually working in the field and earning wages getting real world experience and doing that for a company that will pay to send you through apprentice (and later journeyman) training?

Welcome to the forum.
I went to a technical school after working in the field for a couple of years. It was the best decision I have ever made. It counted as two years of my apprenticeship and taught me a ton of stuff that I may never have learned otherwise. Every body goes a different route and some are better than others, but I think he made the right choice by going to the school. Don't knock what you haven't tried.

Welcome to the forum!! What made you decide to join the electrical field?

Kurtis
Kletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #5

My grandfather was a "jack of all trades" kind of guy and really got me interested at a young age. Remember those RadioShack kits where you can hook up wires to certain points and make a light turn on or a create a make shift radio? He got me doing those all the time. He passed away when I was young so he didn't really get a chance to teach me more.

Anyways I pursued music after high school... in the Marines and college. Gave teaching a go and did not really enjoy it. I remembered really enjoying doing electrical projects as a kid and enjoyed doing things around the house. I decided to give school a go.

It's been great so far. Ohm's Law calculations, learning the NEC, drawing out circuit diagrams...it's comes easily to me and it's very enjoyable. Hell, fixing my in-law's three way switches put me in their good graces!!! You just can beat working on something and seeing the result at the end of the day.

I may decide to go union after I'm done school...who knows? I'm really looking forward to all the options I'll have when I'm done school. I made plenty of money teaching, but doing something that is your passion (electricity) just can't be beat.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome aboard and Semper Fi brother. From music to handtools is an interesting transition, best of luck.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #9

Hey randomkiller, where were you stationed? I spent my enlistment down at LeJeune from 97 to 00.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome!
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 86

Welcome aboard and Semper Fi brother. USMC '77'-'86', (0321 with 22nd, 24th MEU) never knew any guys to come from the music end of things.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote