new. going for an apprenticeship - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default new. going for an apprenticeship

Hey everyone, im from San Mateo CA. Last December I started the process of becoming an Inside Wireman (apprenticeship) through an Local 617.I filled out the application, took a math and english proficency exam and most recently got scheduled for an interview.

My interview is on the 22nd of this month.
I got my resume and recommendation letters all set up but any information about what questions they tend to ask is quite helpful. I heard their typically open ended like 'tell us about a time you implemented something and what was the result'. I also heard there were about 5 questions. Any other information you guys may have would be very helpful.

Also, on the letter with my interview date it mentions a 'practical exam'.
I googled it but couldn't find a definetive answer to what exactly its about. One of my co-workers told me he had a friend who applied and the test consisted of mechanical skills like proprely drilling screws, carrying a bucket up a ladder, moving some pipes from one area to another and choosing which shovel to use for a pile of sand. Any idea if this is accurate and any tips.

Thanks
criv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by criv View Post
Hey everyone, im from San Mateo CA. Last December I started the process of becoming an Inside Wireman (apprenticeship) through an Local 617.I filled out the application, took a math and english proficency exam and most recently got scheduled for an interview.

I got my resume and recommendation letters all set up but any information about what questions they tend to ask is quite helpful. I heard their typically open ended like 'tell us about a time you implemented something and what was the result'. I also heard there were about 5 questions. Any other information you guys may have would be very helpful.

I googled it but couldn't find a definetive answer to what exactly its about. One of my co-workers told me he had a friend who applied and the test consisted of mechanical skills like proprely drilling screws, carrying a bucket up a ladder, moving some pipes from one area to another and choosing which shovel to use for a pile of sand. Any idea if this is accurate and any tips.

Thanks
In my state the term 'practical exam' mean Hands on experience so they mat ask you to identify different types of boxes and fittings for example.

Good luck on your test and Welcome aboard........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by criv

Thanks
I'm San Mateo 617. Good luck on you're interview. And hope you scored high on that test.
EDDYG415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

if you tell them that you have wired car stereos you are certain not to get the job
will@heartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Learn ohms law.
604fAtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

Haven't heard of the practical test, yet. Just interviewed w 369 Louisville. You are right, there are ~7 situational questions, so start thinking about your past so that when they ask, you can form a sensible answer. What is your biggest task, when did you disagree w a coworker, what project have you taken on at work, and foremost why do you want to be an electrician? Good luck!
exci ted is offline   Reply With Quote