New member seeking advice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default New member seeking advice

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am from Tn. I have been reading on this site for about a month now and have been finding plenty of knowledgeable answers and tons of friendly people. Hopefully by using this site it will help me to enhance my knoweldge and skill set. I am currently working as an Electrical Technician, but kinda feel like this job is just not what I thought. I have been here for 9 months and really like everyone I work with and learn something new almost everyday, however I just got married in August and I am working 12 hour shifts on nights currently. I have been reading alot lately about Journeyman schooling, and am debating on attending this training, also I only lack 1 and 1/2 years from having my B.S. in E.E. I currently have an Associates Degree and a technical certificate and really just looking for some advice as to what direction could help to lead me to be brighter future? I really want to one day own my own company working on switch gear and high voltage, it seems that I always find myself gravitating towards the high voltage cabinets out of curiosity reading the schematics in my down time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ckemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 340

Welcome to the forum.

I would finish the EE degree somehow. The degree might count as time toward an EC's or JW license, I'm not exactly sure on how it works in Tn so don't quote me on that though.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckemp View Post
Hello,
My name is Chris and I am from Tn. I have been reading on this site for about a month now and have been finding plenty of knowledgeable answers and tons of friendly people. Hopefully by using this site it will help me to enhance my knoweldge and skill set. I am currently working as an Electrical Technician, but kinda feel like this job is just not what I thought. I have been here for 9 months and really like everyone I work with and learn something new almost everyday, however I just got married in August and I am working 12 hour shifts on nights currently. I have been reading alot lately about Journeyman schooling, and am debating on attending this training, also I only lack 1 and 1/2 years from having my B.S. in E.E. I currently have an Associates Degree and a technical certificate and really just looking for some advice as to what direction could help to lead me to be brighter future? I really want to one day own my own company working on switch gear and high voltage, it seems that I always find myself gravitating towards the high voltage cabinets out of curiosity reading the schematics in my down time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I would finish the EE degree somehow. The degree might count as time toward an EC's or JW license, I'm not exactly sure on how it works in Tn so don't quote me on that though.
I agree work as hard as you can and get there ,The day will come when you will own your own ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING FIRM so stick with it i did and i love it,, You will be the boss and you can make your own hours,, the best part you will not have to work nights unless you want to.
welcome to the forum.

Last edited by HARRY304E; 10-14-2010 at 02:35 AM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
RIP 1959-2015

Click this link it will help you out.
http://tennessee.gov/commerce/boards...ctrician.shtml
Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
√-1 2 Σ π

Rewards Points: 18

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckemp View Post
tons of friendly people. .
ah......
Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,008

Take classes and get your degree or get into a state registered apprenticeship. The money will be in the trades again as soon as all the baby boomers are retired.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I recently convinced my boss to let me work weekend days, so as of January I will be a full time student again.
ckemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
RIP 1959-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
Take classes and get your degree or get into a state registered apprenticeship. The money will be in the trades again as soon as all the baby boomers are retired.
Hua ? could you tell us how that works?

FYI the last of the baby boomers won't be retired till 2026.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote