New member seeking advice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default New member seeking advice

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am from Tn. I have been reading on this site for about a month now and have been finding plenty of knowledgeable answers and tons of friendly people. Hopefully by using this site it will help me to enhance my knoweldge and skill set. I am currently working as an Electrical Technician, but kinda feel like this job is just not what I thought. I have been here for 9 months and really like everyone I work with and learn something new almost everyday, however I just got married in August and I am working 12 hour shifts on nights currently. I have been reading alot lately about Journeyman schooling, and am debating on attending this training, also I only lack 1 and 1/2 years from having my B.S. in E.E. I currently have an Associates Degree and a technical certificate and really just looking for some advice as to what direction could help to lead me to be brighter future? I really want to one day own my own company working on switch gear and high voltage, it seems that I always find myself gravitating towards the high voltage cabinets out of curiosity reading the schematics in my down time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ckemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,325
Rewards Points: 340
Default

Welcome to the forum.

I would finish the EE degree somehow. The degree might count as time toward an EC's or JW license, I'm not exactly sure on how it works in Tn so don't quote me on that though.
__________________
Everything has user serviceable parts inside.
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
RIP 1959-2015
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,624
Rewards Points: 1,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckemp View Post
Hello,
My name is Chris and I am from Tn. I have been reading on this site for about a month now and have been finding plenty of knowledgeable answers and tons of friendly people. Hopefully by using this site it will help me to enhance my knoweldge and skill set. I am currently working as an Electrical Technician, but kinda feel like this job is just not what I thought. I have been here for 9 months and really like everyone I work with and learn something new almost everyday, however I just got married in August and I am working 12 hour shifts on nights currently. I have been reading alot lately about Journeyman schooling, and am debating on attending this training, also I only lack 1 and 1/2 years from having my B.S. in E.E. I currently have an Associates Degree and a technical certificate and really just looking for some advice as to what direction could help to lead me to be brighter future? I really want to one day own my own company working on switch gear and high voltage, it seems that I always find myself gravitating towards the high voltage cabinets out of curiosity reading the schematics in my down time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I would finish the EE degree somehow. The degree might count as time toward an EC's or JW license, I'm not exactly sure on how it works in Tn so don't quote me on that though.
I agree work as hard as you can and get there ,The day will come when you will own your own ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING FIRM so stick with it i did and i love it,, You will be the boss and you can make your own hours,, the best part you will not have to work nights unless you want to.
welcome to the forum.

Last edited by HARRY304E; 10-14-2010 at 02:35 AM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
RIP 1959-2015
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,624
Rewards Points: 1,344
Default

Click this link it will help you out.
http://tennessee.gov/commerce/boards...ctrician.shtml
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
√-1 2 Σ π
 
Josue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mexico
Posts: 3,465
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckemp View Post
tons of friendly people. .
ah......
__________________
Do you want a good job or a fast job?
Josue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,428
Rewards Points: 1,008
Default

Take classes and get your degree or get into a state registered apprenticeship. The money will be in the trades again as soon as all the baby boomers are retired.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I recently convinced my boss to let me work weekend days, so as of January I will be a full time student again.
ckemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
RIP 1959-2015
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,624
Rewards Points: 1,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
Take classes and get your degree or get into a state registered apprenticeship. The money will be in the trades again as soon as all the baby boomers are retired.
Hua ? could you tell us how that works?

FYI the last of the baby boomers won't be retired till 2026.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
william1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Posts: 11,095
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi! Student Seeking Advice Greens New Member Introductions 25 02-07-2015 07:43 AM
Non-Union Electrician Seeking Advice swright Union Topics 39 12-23-2010 08:26 PM
New member (uk) advice sought please! rolltop New Member Introductions 5 11-14-2008 05:58 PM
New member looking for advice! paythemanning General Electrical Discussion 1 02-29-2008 08:15 AM
Australian Sparky seeking advice seanpembroke General Electrical Discussion 12 01-02-2008 01:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com