new to the site - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default new to the site

Just want to introduce myself, i am currently in the process of trying to get into the apprenticeship program, my test is scheduled for 30 sep 2008. I downloaded the IBEW manual this morning at about 545. So im stocked that there was actually a manual floating around because i was getting really nervous about the test coming up. Im really hoping i can get into the program so that i can be apart of the brotherhood. Ive been in the USMCR for about 3 years, so im hoping theres the same type of brotherhood, im currently a power plant mechanic for ch-53s and i dont have any experience in the electrical field, but i hope that doesnt defer me from becoming a journeyman one day. Im thinking about going for lineman, but im pretty sure thats a very popular position to apply for, am i right? Im not exactly sure what i want to do so hopefully i can find some info on this website.

Semper Fi
Oz

Last edited by baldoman; 09-17-2008 at 10:02 AM.
baldoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Greetings and welcome!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome to the forum brother. Best of luck with your endeavor.

Semper Fi !

Mac
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome to the forum!
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:25 AM   #5

thanks for the friendly welcome. almost done with the study guide, going to look over it a couple more times after i think i have it figured out... is this forum mainly for people in the east coast?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldoman View Post
thanks for the friendly welcome. almost done with the study guide, going to look over it a couple more times after i think i have it figured out... is this forum mainly for people in the east coast?
I'm not sure how the membership is distributed, but we have people from all over the US, a fair number from the UK, and a few from "Down Under"
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Welcome to the forum!! (I live on the west coast!!)
Kletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #9

looking through this website gets me motivated all over again, every day, and i am on here every day too. So much information, and now that my test is just around the corner (end of the month) im getting nervous. Im going to the library this weekend and picking of a few books on math concepts and an english book or two...

This has definetly turned into my number one priority and it feels good to be on top of things and actually studying to get a passing score, unlike in college or H.S., when i took a test i studied maybe 1 hour and no more than that and i was fine with a B - or better now that im actually motivated and know what will result from studying and trying hard i want to study enough so there is no room for mistakes and get a perfect score. Only other time i felt like actually trying hard was when i tried to impress a girl.

Baldoman
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #10

man, i had this whole thing ass backwards...

I went today, took my test, did ok i think. turns out that the application is only for inside wireman. I'm really looking at getting a job as a lineman. luckily i overheard a gentleman ask a question pertaining to the lineman program and i met with him after the test, we went to the local 440, local 440 sent us to local 47. Then we got our info straight, turns out i had to go to a completly different place. so we went there and we got the apps and now i found out we dont even need to study for a test what?!!! sounds good.
So after about 1.5 hours of drving around in SOCAL! i got the right application and will turn it in tomm. Getting the butterflies all over again.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #11

I got my letter in the mail today and it say.... Congratulations!!! my interview is on the 22 of Oct, now to prep for the interview, thanks to this website and you guys for helping me prep.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #12

Just wanted to let you guys know, i did my interview today, it wasnt as bad as i anticipated it to be. only trick questions were like,
1 tell me about a situation at work or school where there was a conflict and how i handled it....
2 tell me about a time where i you had to do a project and did not have the right materials for the job.
3 tell me about a project you recently did from start to finish

anyways, they said they like my record so hopefully i can get in..
Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #13
ACB

Rewards Points: 75

Hello!!
My name is Alex, I apretiate the opertunity to join this forum, and engage in some hopefully interesting conversation with other electricians and contractors. I have Owned A C B Electrical & Welding for almost 13 years now, located in the center of the Niagara region of Ontario, in the little one horse town of Fenwick. I also own a second business doing pressurewashing, which I accidently aquired 2 years ago through a mis guided investment 3 years prior. really keeps things hopping around here, but I figured if the economy is gonna slide it might be good to have my fingers in multiple pies to keep the money coming in.
Look forward to chatting on here.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum Baldoman and ACB.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #15

my score wasnt as good as i thought, it is 68 out of over 200 applicants. thats for one hall.

at another local it was 77 out of over 200..... ill call tomm to make sure how many people are on the list.