One Brotherhood to the next.... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking One Brotherhood to the next....

Hello, I am a U.S. Marine getting out of the service in Dec. I want to join up with the union. I went to a 2 year vocational school and I am an electronics technician in the Corps, so I am hoping I will make a competative candidate. I am from Cleveland, OH and have been looking at local 38. Seems like a good union that pays great, but Cleveland isn't doing too hot. I am worried about work dropping off. I am also considering Richmond with local 666 or somewhere else east coast wise. Maybe I am wrong but it doesn't look like many places pay as well as Cleveland and still have such a low cost of living. Any ideas or comments are appreciated, Thanks!
SGT VB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome aboard brother. I have no ideas about the cost of living in Ohio at all. I would call both halls and talk to the BAs and see what they have to say about the foreseeable future. Also ask about the helmets to hard hats program. I went right into my local out of the Corps back in 86, there were many vets there at the time and it was a smooth transition.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Welcome to the forum! RK pretty much summed it up.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I am an ohio guy and let me tell ya, we have been getting our butts kicked the last 8 years. It's not a pretty picture. I can't think of a worse off state then Ohio.

West Virginia has been carrying Ohio electricians the last few years. You may want to check them out. Huntington looks like it's still the 1800's but Charleston seems to be a booming metropolis.

If there are no limitations on where you can settle, the east coast may be best. Cost a lot to live there though.

welcome aboard. feel free to ask away.
daddymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 86

Semper Fi brother, welcome aboard. NY and NJ always have work for reliable people. The cost of living is very high in some places but easier in others not so far away, maybe a county or two.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies and Semper Fi to my Marine Brothers. I am even more confident I should shy away from Ohio now. Guess it doesn't matter, they could pay me a million dollars an hour, but if theres no work, no ones' getting paid anything. I think I will start with Richmond, maybe try Raleigh next and I heard NJ was pretty good as well. The east coast is where I want to be.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
IBEW Local 661 JW

Rewards Points: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT VB View Post
Thanks for the replies and Semper Fi to my Marine Brothers. I am even more confident I should shy away from Ohio now. Guess it doesn't matter, they could pay me a million dollars an hour, but if theres no work, no ones' getting paid anything. I think I will start with Richmond, maybe try Raleigh next and I heard NJ was pretty good as well. The east coast is where I want to be.
I have a LU 666 sticker on my hardhat. Meet a guy who was traveling and that was his home local. His Wife works for Boeing and was transferred out here was the only reason he left. He said that 666 treated him great!

Oh BTW Welcome aboard but I dont know if forum can handle many more Marines. Go ARMY
Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome to the forum!
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I'm in North Jersey out of local 164 Essex,Bergen and Hudson counties. The work here has been slow but really picked up in the last few months. Actually prospects look great for the next few years at least. I think we have a nice balance of cost of living to wage ratio.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info. I am really looking forward to getting into this field.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250
Cool Welcome To The Forum

I Hope You Find What You Need
Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #12

hello fellow craftsmen
ibew1426 is offline   Reply With Quote