Pittsburgh, PA - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Pittsburgh, PA

Hello. I've been doing electrical work for a little over three years now so I guess I'm shy of being a journeyman just yet. I moved back to PA and hoped to continue my schooling from ABC but was told they don't do it here in Pittsburgh. Union said I'd have to start from nothing and that just seemed unfair to me. And ten years of experience to get licensed, ouch! Unless you have school completed of course. So, anyone know of some good schools here?
jsfoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfoltz View Post
Hello. I've been doing electrical work for a little over three years now so I guess I'm shy of being a journeyman just yet. I moved back to PA and hoped to continue my schooling from ABC but was told they don't do it here in Pittsburgh. Union said I'd have to start from nothing and that just seemed unfair to me. And ten years of experience to get licensed, ouch! Unless you have school completed of course. So, anyone know of some good schools here?
Welcome to the forum. A very good friend of mine is a veterinarian. It took him 8 years of college to get there. He never complained about doing the time.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #4

Well, I don't mind waiting honestly its just that no one wants to pay more than ten bucks an hour because I'm not licensed. I'd have no problem finishing an apprenticeship but PA doesn't really have that unless you're union. At least from what I have gathered that's how things are here.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Infiltrator

Rewards Points: 620

Quote:
Well, I don't mind waiting honestly its just that no one wants to pay more than ten bucks an hour because I'm not licensed. I'd have no problem finishing an apprenticeship but PA doesn't really have that unless you're union. At least from what I have gathered that's how things are here.
Dean Institute of Technology

<li id="jsArticleStep1"> The Dean Institute of Technology is a career training center that offers an associates degree for electricians. Their daytime class program lasts for 15 months, and the evening program runs for 30 months. This career training program prepares students to become entry-level electrical technicians, giving them classroom and hands-on experience with residential, industrial and commercial grade electrical systems.

Dean Institute of Technology
1501 W. Liberty Ave/
Pittsburgh, PA 15226
412-531-4433
deantech.edu
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dude, I feel for ya, I just moved back up to Philly recently.

I think the Union's rules about past time and education is FUBAR.

They should at least have you take an aptitude, and hands on test and go from there.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I know there's an ABC office here in the 'burgh. My company is a member. I think the training facility is down in Charleroi. I'm not totally sure where the offices are, I think there over on the North Side somewhere. http://www.abcwpa.org/chapterlocator.aspx
Wiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

yeah I called them when I first moved back here. I was told they don't have the apprenticeships like other states with ABC. Maybe whoever I talked to didn't know what they were saying?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
yeah I called them when I first moved back here. I was told they don't have the apprenticeships like other states with ABC. Maybe whoever I talked to didn't know what they were saying?
That's what I would guess, to be honest I'm not actually an electrician, I'm the warehouse/materials/tool guy, but I know that our apprentices do go to schooling (that I assumed was through ABC) I know that we donate various things to ABC to be used for training purposes, so it only stands to logic that they have some sort of program. Perhaps it has to be accessed through a member contractor though, and that's why you got the answer that you did?
Wiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #10

Thanks for that. I called ABC again and was told they fired a lot of people a little over a year ago for not doing their job. I was also apologized to for being given incorrect information. Just a shame I have been wasting this time only working and not finishing school. Thanks again I just can't believe they told me that, sigh.