Please help! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HackWork
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Please help!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, my apologies if not.

A 6/3 wire got damaged in my garage. I am going to consult with my brother (a senior tech for the power company), but would like to attempt to wrap my head around the situation first.

The wire/circuit feeds the stove on the other side of a split level home. The breaker is now off. The old cloth covered 6/3 wire has no ground. The plan (?....): The length of the wire coming from the panel is just too short to tie into. Run a new length of 6/3 romex (w/ ground wire) to an exposed 4-11/16 x 2-1/8 junction box mounted in the ceiling (joist). Use 3 appropriate Polaris connectors to tie in the new Romex with the old existing wire. My question, what to do with the ground wire from the Romex? I should ground the metal box, yes? Can I? Is there a solution other than the impossible task of running a complete run from the panel to the kitchen in a split level home?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt6ct View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, my apologies if not.

A 6/3 wire got damaged in my garage. I am going to consult with my brother (a senior tech for the power company), but would like to attempt to wrap my head around the situation first.
You should not consult with your brother. You should consult with a licensed electrician with a lot of experience doing residential work.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
bwt6ct (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

I appreciate your good advice. I am not going to do this myself, for certain. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the grounding situation before I call in the troops and empty the back account. Will it require an entire new run to the stove?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt6ct View Post
I appreciate your good advice. I am not going to do this myself, for certain. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the grounding situation before I call in the troops and empty the back account. Will it require an entire new run to the stove?
Sure, you are not going to do it yourself... Yet you already picked out the exact material you are going to use and are asking how you should do it.

Quote:
Run a new length of 6/3 romex (w/ ground wire) to an exposed 4-11/16 x 2-1/8 junction box mounted in the ceiling (joist). Use 3 appropriate Polaris connectors to tie in the new Romex with the old existing wire. My question, what to do with the ground wire from the Romex? I should ground the metal box, yes? Can I?
CoolWill likes this.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,754

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com.
However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,754

Timed out double post deleted.
Closed Thread