prospective electrician NORTH CAROLINA - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Post prospective electrician NORTH CAROLINA

Hello Electrician Talk Memebers,
I Have Recently Been Faced With The Task Of Trying To Find A Job As An Electrician Helper. It Is My Understanding That If I Was To Get Signed On As An Electrician Helper I Would Most Likely Be Able To Start My Apprenticeship And Start Accrediting Man Hours Towards Being An Electrician And Obtaining My Journeyman's.
It Seems Even Being Signed On As An Electrician Helper Is Quite The Task. I Have Submitted My Resume To At Least 16 Companies In My Surrounding Area And Still Haven't Had Any Response. I Just Recently Got Out Of The Military (navy) Where I Worked As An Electrician For Four Years. I Know There Is A Big Difference Of Being An Electrician On A Naval Ship Compared To A Residential Electrician, But The Basics Are Still There. My Question Is There Anyway To Make Myself More Appealing To Companies To Want To Hire Me. If You Have Any Suggestions To Help Me Out On My Way To Working In The Electrical Field It Would Be Greatly Appreciated.thank You For Your Time

Chris
Iredell Country,north Carolina
opher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Greetings and welcome!

Here's a post I made to a similar question:
http://www.electriciantalk.com/showp...06&postcount=2
Old 04-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome!

I can't speak to what is going on in North Carolina, but the new residential around here is slloooowww. Not the best time for someone to be looking for a start in that part of the trade.
We have gone from about 26 guys to 16 in the last 2 months.

Have you applied to any commercial companies?

In all honesty, when we hire new guys, we would LOVE to have one like you- some experience, and a few years in the military. Some of the young guys we get....
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome to the forum.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 172

I hope your resume isn't all in CAPS!

Is there any reason you want to break into the trade at it's lowest level, after already getting 4 years practical experience? I'd look towards commercial or industrial if I were you. Also, check out your local's "helmets to hardhats" program.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Welcome "prospective electrician"! I see Lawnguy has advised you on the H to HH program. I happen to be Command Career Counselor for a reserve Seabee Battalion (Construction Electrician Chief) so let me encourage you to consider being a "damn" reservist with your present skills. I am attaching some links here for post military employment possibilities. Thank you for your service...........Good luck
Mike

Links:
http://www.nffsp.org
http://www.navyleague.info
http://www.TurboTAP.org
mam39702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
R.I.P. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam39702 View Post
Welcome "prospective electrician"! I see Lawnguy has advised you on the H to HH program. I happen to be Command Career Counselor for a reserve Seabee Battalion (Construction Electrician Chief) so let me encourage you to consider being a "damn" reservist with your present skills. I am attaching some links here for post military employment possibilities. Thank you for your service...........Good luck
Mike

Links:
http://www.nffsp.org
http://www.navyleague.info
http://www.TurboTAP.org

What are they teaching those seamen nowadays? That boy start every word with a capitol letter. I agree with what Mike here had to say by the way.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
.....That boy start every word with a capitol letter.....
His CAPS LOCK is on, and his web browser recognizes that, so it reduces every letter except the first of each word to lower case. Some browsers do it, some don't.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
R.I.P. 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
His CAPS LOCK is on, and his web browser recognizes that, so it reduces every letter except the first of each word to lower case. Some browsers do it, some don't.

I just know it's annoying to read it.

"One Nation Under God"
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
Cool Welcome to the forum

I hope you find what you need
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

I'm not far from you and it has been really slow the last few months for commercial, residential guys are starving. Take lawnguy's advice with commercial/industrial, and just start acting like you know absolutely everything there is to know about electrical and tell your potential employers you've done it all, trust me you'll fit right in with all the rest of the "electricians" around here.
threewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
Proud Navy Veteran

Rewards Points: 592

I spent 10 years in the Navy as an electrician, I hate to say it but your 4 years will not get you near a resi guy. You are better off in the industrial/commercial world, that is if you are strong on motors, controllers, and generators. Keep one thing in mind on the ships we ran Delta systems with no grounds or neutrals, do that on land and someone can get hurt or killed. You should be able to make the transistion. I agree with Mike and Random go reserve or stay active duty, some day you will regret not doing it.

Good luck