question about my future - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default question about my future

first off, Im 25 years young in phoenix az, I have about 3 years in commercial electric experience and only finished 1 year in an electrical apprenticeship program, after i quit that, i went to a company and installed some building automation stuff for hvac units for 1 year and then wasted my money at the refrigeration school for 8 months worth of knowledge in that, i use the word wasted loosely. I graduated top 10% in my class at rsi btw. I enjoyed everything ive done so far really, Im just not sure where to head next, I feel i need more knowledge in hvac, but i eventually want to maybe get a degree in say electrical engineering or mechanical engineering or something. The electrical company i worked for payed for me to go to that program, i bailed on them for more money tho, unfortunetly. i would just like some advice from everyone, what you think i should do. thanks
jjon418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,810

I think you should go to Phooket and sit on the beach until you figure it out.
While nothing learned is wasted knowledge You have also been busy burning bridges. No one here can tell you what to do but you have been doing electrical work for 3 years and I would expect you have a lot more to make the decision on than you did 3 years ago. What have you enjoyed? what would you never want to do again? what do you crave to understand? Make a list of pros and cons wait a week and do it again. Look at what you wrote and follow your path. Oh, and one advantage of youth is you have time for decisions and time to finish things too. Looks like you need to also finish something first.
Good luch on making a choice it is yours.
Mshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjon418 View Post
first off, Im 25 years young in phoenix az, I have about 3 years in commercial electric experience and only finished 1 year in an electrical apprenticeship program, after i quit that, i went to a company and installed some building automation stuff for hvac units for 1 year and then wasted my money at the refrigeration school for 8 months worth of knowledge in that, i use the word wasted loosely. I graduated top 10% in my class at rsi btw. I enjoyed everything ive done so far really, Im just not sure where to head next, I feel i need more knowledge in hvac, but i eventually want to maybe get a degree in say electrical engineering or mechanical engineering or something. The electrical company i worked for payed for me to go to that program, i bailed on them for more money tho, unfortunetly. i would just like some advice from everyone, what you think i should do. thanks
Sorry but at the age of 25 you should have already decided what you want to do for a living.

Do you own a house?

Do you pay rent somewhere?

If you live at home with your folks then i can see why you are a quitter at your age you should be out on your own that is the only way to motivate your self to work as hard as you can so you can keep it that way.

Being 25 is great but you will be 50 in no time at all .
Do you really need another 25 years to decide what you want to do?

Tomorrow morning get out of bed and decide and stick with it your childhood is over..

Take this as a pep talk not an insult.

Welcome to the forum...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 642

Move outta the desert.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

First of all, experience and some sort of State or local license or certification is really the only way to make any money in our trade. You have crossed over into HVAC which is a definite plus.
Can you get back into the company that was paying for your training?

You also mentioned getting an education in electrical or mechanical engineering. This can be your ticket out of the ditch. I would find a way to get the engineering degree. If you start working and make enough money to get into debt, you will find it very hard to get out of the construction trades.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

i did the house thing once, i live with my sister for now for cheap, its good enough for now. when i was an electrician i owned my house and car, and then the economy turned so did my will to succeed. i lost my job doing building automation, lost my house, car, and became an alcoholic, got 2 dui's, im just now about done with fines and bull**** from that, i have a month left of jail in the work furlough program, working for a rental car place to get by until im done with jail. i know this isnt a help line talk show, but you asked so, this is me. i was thinking about going bac to my old electric company and finishing what i started, wilson electric good company, **** pay, but they put me on the right track. i was enjoying doing building automation for hvac, dealing with computers and easy work. i thought id like to find a mechanical company and see if theyd help with school and what not, i wouldnt mind doing service for hvac either since you get good money, but itll be about the same work forever. i would like to get out of az since ive been here my whole life, but i guess work is okay and hvac isnt going to go out of style out here. **** im not even sure what kind of input im looking for now, just thought id share.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #7

thanks for your inputs btw
Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

First, grow a pair and quit whining.

Second ... once the soreness goes away from stepping on your own ****, go back to the EC and finish the apprenticeship program. Beg. Cry. Plead. Suck it up. No one likes a quitter - and you want to leave a job with more than just your hat in your hand. A journeyman card is a credential that means something.

Left for more money, huh? Yea, that's smart .... ever get anything near journeyman wages? Just imagine if you had stuck with the program ....

Amazing creatures, apprentices. We've all been there. After two years we all think we know it all .... and after four years we realize that our learning is just beginning.

There's no reason you can't keep up night school .... and, once you're a journeyman, school will solve your concerns about what to do with your time during the winter layoff.

Plus, there's a reason we're called JOURNEYmen. You'll have plenty of opportunity to visit other places. Places like Edmunton, where you can hug a polar bear. Or help build a skyscraper in a real city.You might even find one you like.
Amish Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Sorry but at the age of 25 you should have already decided what you want to do for a living.

Do you own a house?

Do you pay rent somewhere?

If you live at home with your folks then i can see why you are a quitter at your age you should be out on your own that is the only way to motivate your self to work as hard as you can so you can keep it that way.

Being 25 is great but you will be 50 in no time at all .
Do you really need another 25 years to decide what you want to do?

Tomorrow morning get out of bed and decide and stick with it your childhood is over..

Take this as a pep talk not an insult.

Welcome to the forum...

I changed careers at 28. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
Bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Broke

Rewards Points: 150

#1 stop drinking and driving
#2 finish your jail time and so on
#3 Get a job in electrical or HVAC. They are both about the same. Do you like one over the other? Then stick with it. You only get out what you put in.
parnellelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 48

Finish what you started.
You dug yourself a hole and it will take time to fill it in.
After your clean and clear for a year go to a military recruiter and join. Get away from were your at and start clean. Grow up and in time you will fill the hole you got yourself into, one shovel full at a time.

Never give up on trying to better yourself.
Things can always be worse.

Good luck next year.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
RGH

Rewards Points: 2,044

At the end of the day there is the guy in the mirror...you gotta answer to...what are you going to say to him? I am a fxxk up? Or I am a god dxxm electrician..I can fix shxt...I can walk in to a building or a house and fix things and people give me money...wow...HVAC is cool trade too.. put on the big boy pants son...25 its no longer a game...now don't look at us look in the mirror....good luck son..we will be here to help...but no pity from us...just our help..get up now and go talk to that guy...
Old 12-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
Move outta the desert.
Yeah get out before you end up stuck here with a company and clients and family.

Actually you haven't picked a bad way to go, continue your electrical and HVAC training and definitely keep learning about building automation, energy management and HVAC controls.

One of the biggest complainants I hear from facility managers these days is what a ****ed up, cobbled together, worthless POS their BMS/EMS and HVAC systems are, learn that stuff well and you can go far fixing it.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,852

Grow up and act your age...

Yeah what ever!

At eighteen I ran off to Hawaii! Came back and walked away from the Brown machine. UPS!

Figured out there's more to know in life, I went back to school at your age.

My parents where the blessing in that they always stated, get a vocation, and then be ready to do something else as well. Well I'm on my second vocation.

I can only say that doing, or in you case finding, that one or two things in life that are personally enriching and enlighting will be the job for now but once you find it, it will really be no work at all!

I have also found that electrical work as a trade to be fulfilling for me because in most cases, it a run and done situation!

Last edited by CADPoint; 12-24-2011 at 08:04 AM.
CADPoint is offline   Reply With Quote