Taking the leap - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Journeyman2019
  • 2 Post By positron
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By J F Go
  • 1 Post By MCasey
  • 1 Post By John Valdes
  • 1 Post By nitzsparks
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By SummitElectric1

Old 01-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Taking the leap

Hey y'all, was a journeyman out of high school 12 years ago. Let my license drop and just got it back. I currently work in the mines but am ready for a career change. Trying to get into the trade but not sure what moves to make. Got 2 kids and a wife depending on me so still gotta make the bills. Have a 1080 hour trade course and some residential experience under my belt. And ideas for a guy trying to get outta the dust? Many thanks.
MikeFL likes this.
Journeyman2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

Welcome Journeyman.

Just go talk to some electrical companies. A guy working to feed his family is a desirable hire because he's stable and motivated. Be honest and sincere. The opportunity to switch careers is now while the economy is still strong.
MikeFL and Journeyman2019 like this.
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,482

Welcome aboard @Journeyman2019!

I'd look into the largest companies you can find if you want to stay in your current area.

If you would consider moving I'd head to the DC area by yourself and get a job, they are hurting for electricians in that area. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for you to get established with a decent company then move the family out.
Journeyman2019 and shipp like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome from Maine. Good luck with your search.
Journeyman2019 likes this.
J F Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Government Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman2019 View Post
Hey y'all, was a journeyman out of high school 12 years ago. Let my license drop and just got it back. I currently work in the mines but am ready for a career change. Trying to get into the trade but not sure what moves to make. Got 2 kids and a wife depending on me so still gotta make the bills. Have a 1080 hour trade course and some residential experience under my belt. And ideas for a guy trying to get outta the dust? Many thanks.
Welcome aboard!

What part of WV are yu in?
MCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,842

Seems manufacturing could be a good bridge for you. You work with machines in the mines?
Most important is welcome to the forum and good luck.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 36

doing skids for oil feild would be decent
nitzsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:19 AM   #8

i really appreciate all the help.

Quote:
You work with machines in the mines?
Yes, i can run anything. some better than others.

Quote:
What part of WV are yu in?
im near philippi. north central.

Quote:
doing skids for oil field would be decent
what is "doing skids" not familiar with this term.

Quote:
I'd look into the largest companies you can find if you want to stay in your current area.

If you would consider moving I'd head to the DC area by yourself and get a job, they are hurting for electricians in that area. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for you to get established with a decent company then move the family out.
Its a thought. My sister lives inside dc. Id like to stay in the area for now for my wife to be close to family. But, i'm not totally against moving.

Quote:
Just go talk to some electrical companies. A guy working to feed his family is a desirable hire because he's stable and motivated. Be honest and sincere.
Thank you. I'm no job hopper. i stay when needed, where needed.

again, thanks for helping out. I kinda feel dumb at this point. thanks , sam.
Journeyman2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 326

Welcome, fill out applications, working above ground should be easy,...
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #10

Welcome @Journeyman2019. Lot's of great folks on here with an incredible range of trade experience. You'll find a bunch of good answers and solid advice here.
SummitElectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:45 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,994

Welcome to the forums and good luck.
Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Welcome aboard @Journeyman2019!

Work is plentiful in DC, but be ready for a wallet shock. Housing is expensive and getting worse every year. Lots of Trades people have 2+hour commutes to find housing they can afford. Took me over 1.5 hours this morning to drive 69 miles. We have guys in Local 26 that live in WV, PA, etc. and make the commute daily.
em158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #13

And that's why there's so much traffic. Instead of everyone driving 7 miles they're driving 70 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 01-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
And that's why there's so much traffic. Instead of everyone driving 7 miles they're driving 70 miles.
A two hour commute each way, I have to look at that like a second job that I hate and don't get paid for.
SummitElectric1 likes this.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
A two hour commute each way, I have to look at that like a second job that I hate and don't get paid for.
For some people that's the only "me time" they get. Imagine someone in a horrible relationship. They'd look for a job an hour farther away than that.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by em158 View Post
Work is plentiful in DC, but be ready for a wallet shock. Housing is expensive and getting worse every year. Lots of Trades people have 2+hour commutes to find housing they can afford. Took me over 1.5 hours this morning to drive 69 miles. We have guys in Local 26 that live in WV, PA, etc. and make the commute daily.
The OP is in WV and I wouldn't live in the DC area again if my life depended on it. I'd live a fair commute away.

It takes more than 1 1/2 hours to travel 70 miles in NJ where I spent years. The Cali guys that commute more than 2 hours would love a 1 1/2 hr drive.

The pay in DC is worth the commute in my opinion.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #17

I can be in Miami or Tampa in that time.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
That's one of the major reasons that I chose to open my own shop and leave a much larger, now franchise-type company a few years ago.

I grew tired of finishing the scheduled jobs for the day around 4 o'clock, being about 30 minutes away from home and then getting kicked in the sack by dispatch...

"Oh great, glad you're done. We've got another job for you..."

Yeah, the other job was always about an hour away in the opposite direction of home. And of course, travel time was not paid.

Now I can charge appropriately for travel time. It doesn't matter if I'm fishing wires, replacing a load center, troubleshooting a tripping AFCI, hanging a ceiling fan, or sitting in traffic... My time is my time. If somebody (company or customer) wants some of my time they are going to pay for it no matter what I'm doing with that time.
splatz likes this.

Last edited by SummitElectric1; 01-16-2019 at 02:00 PM.
SummitElectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote