Worried about my interview - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Worried about my interview

I have an interview this Friday, and was reading the last topic about interviews (started about this time last year), and figured I'd do well except one problem.

I have NO experience in construction, or other types of labor, except for a summer at GM 9 years ago (packing and shipping), and growing up on construction sites (my dad helped build houses for him and family members).

I have soft, girly hands (well I am a woman...) and all my work experience is retail (which I HATE!) I really want to be an electrician... all those years in retail were just a job to have while I figured out what I wanted to do with my life (I'll be 27 in a few weeks). I'm really worried that they're not going to think I'm serious about this, since I've never worked in anything similar at all.

I could really use some advice, or reassurance.
TaraY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

union or open shop ?
lectric_hand6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Have you thought about school, it will be a good start, give you experience, lets you see different aspects of the trade.

As far as age goes I'm 23 and I'm one of the young ones in my class, there are couple guys in there 40's, the one girl in class is in her late 30's.

The school will prove a couple main points to employers. You know how to do something so they aren't training you from scratch. You can physically do the work, meaning you have soft girly hand because you are a girl, not because you don't do any manual labor. The other point is you can handle the work environment, at least in my classes that is the way the teachers work, you need to be on time, you better call in if your not going to be there, if you complain about this and that to them or other people in class the only response is 'are you sure this is the field you want to be in?' Your work needs to be good, don't just throw it together and expect a good score because it works.

Another plus since most of these teachers came from the trade, or are still in it, they are a good resource to help you find a job, so if you are a good student, you will have that much more of a chance getting a job right away.

Last edited by collin.thomas; 01-29-2009 at 12:32 AM.
collin.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraY View Post
I have an interview this Friday, and was reading the last topic about interviews (started about this time last year), and figured I'd do well except one problem.

I have NO experience in construction, or other types of labor, except for a summer at GM 9 years ago (packing and shipping), and growing up on construction sites (my dad helped build houses for him and family members).

I have soft, girly hands (well I am a woman...) and all my work experience is retail (which I HATE!) I really want to be an electrician... all those years in retail were just a job to have while I figured out what I wanted to do with my life (I'll be 27 in a few weeks). I'm really worried that they're not going to think I'm serious about this, since I've never worked in anything similar at all.

I could really use some advice, or reassurance.
At your interview don't keep thinking or focusing on the fact that they're not going to take you serious because you are a woman.

Try to put yourself in that mindset when you were growing up around construction sites, packaging and shipping, but remember to have manners and be professional.

5volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin.thomas View Post
Have you thought about school, it will be a good start, give you experience, lets you see different aspects of the trade.

As far as age goes I'm 23 and I'm one of the young ones in my class, there are couple guys in there 40's, the one girl in class is in her late 30's.

The school will prove a couple main points to employers. You know how to do something so they aren't training you from scratch. You can physically do the work, meaning you have soft girly hand because you are a girl, not because you don't do any manual labor. The other point is you can handle the work environment, at least in my classes that is the way the teachers work, you need to be on time, you better call in if your not going to be there, if you complain about this and that to them or other people in class the only response is 'are you sure this is the field you want to be in?' Your work needs to be good, don't just throw it together and expect a good score because it works.

Another plus since most of these teachers came from the trade, or are still in it, they are a good resource to help you find a job, so if you are a good student, you will have that much more of a chance getting a job right away.
What do you mean by "school", are you in an apprenticeship program?
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #6

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's an interview for an apprenticeship with the local union.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Shunt trip

Rewards Points: 75
Default Interview.

Being a female is a plus, It is illegal to discriminate for being female. Not a issue. Its hard, dirty, hot, cold, wet, windy, toxic, physical, work. Know want you are getting into. Some men will resent you. (unfair world) It can be rewarding. In the union you will travel, in the non union you will travel. this can suck, it can also be great, depends on your attitude. I've made wonderful friends for life & good money at the same time. No matter what, it is a hard life, with constant learning & early mornings. I prefer commercial & industrial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shunt trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
What do you mean by "school", are you in an apprenticeship program?
I'm in a tech school, that is a two year program, just school not actually working. The union apprenticeship program here is 5 years, which around here you don't need experience, but it looks a lot better when you have an interview and you acctually know something about the trade.
collin.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Shunt trip

Rewards Points: 75
Default Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin.thomas View Post
I'm in a tech school, that is a two year program, just school not actually working. The union apprenticeship program here is 5 years, which around here you don't need experience, but it looks a lot better when you have an interview and you acctually know something about the trade.
Good point, you do not need experience.
However,You will get paid way better when you do have it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shunt trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #10

Default Job Interview

I would say just be honest,and let them know that you are willing to commit whatever time effort and hard work it takes to become a journeywoman.Don't let you gender stop you from being the best that you can be.I've worked with some smart and hard working lady's in my lifetime.My advice is go for it you have nothing to lose and if it don't work life still goes on.Good Luck

Last edited by shorttimer; 01-29-2009 at 09:17 PM.
shorttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #11

Well, now that I'm home, I can think of 100 better ways to answer their questions, HAHA! I didn't do too bad I guess. It was all situational questions, nothing to do with experience related to this particular job. Could've done better, but could've done a lot worse. On the plus side, the 3 guys after me were all wearing jeans and sweatshirts, and I was dressed in dress pants and a nice sweater, so I think I presented myself better at least.

Nothing I can do about it now. I'm just gonna do my best not to worry about it, and wait for that letter.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #12
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Welcome!

And good luck!
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 526

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Welcome to the forum and from reading your two posts here I have a feeling you did just fine.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote