1 phase vs 3 phase curcuit panel - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree92Likes

Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default 1 phase vs 3 phase curcuit panel

Hey everyone, I simply can't wrap my head around the difference between a single phase and a 3phase curcuit panel, and when it is applied. I have been working in residential for a long time and would like to get some insite if possible, thank you all again in advance
Eq electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,520

Are you an apprentice? Have you been to school yet?
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eq electric View Post
Hey everyone, I simply can't wrap my head around the difference between a single phase and a 3phase curcuit panel, and when it is applied. I have been working in residential for a long time and would like to get some insite if possible, thank you all again in advance
Ahh oui .,,,

very simple the single phase panel typically have two hot conductors with netural while three phase panel do have three hot conductors in the panel.

Be aware the three phase voltage some will not be same as single phase
typicial USA voltage:
208Y120
240D120
480Y277
208Y
240D
480D or Y

Note Y = wye ( useally have netural there)
D = Delta ( most case no netural but some do have 4 wire delta system with netural with oddball line to netural voltage I will cover that later if you need to know )

some super large residentail home do use three phase supply all it depending on POCO specs what they can offer on that.
jelhill likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 1,960

Where are you from?

Where did you go to school to be an electrician, that didn't teach you about three phase wiring?

We can better help you if you fill out your profile, and tell us more about experience on the introductions thread.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
Where are you from?

Where did you go to school to be an electrician, that didn't teach you about three phase wiring?

We can better help you if you fill out your profile, and tell us more about experience on the introductions thread.
I never went to school I started 4 years ago with a master electrician.
micromind likes this.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,480

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f3/a...fields-258186/

Thanks in Advance
The_Modifier likes this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
Where are you from?

Here by your 4th year you have been to school twice and are almost an electrician. Do they have a mandatory school for apprentices where you are?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 1,960

Quote:
Well that's a start.

Are you in the USA? if so what area, there many programs to help you forward your career in this industry, and the jobs will be there if you're qualified.

The long and short of it is you should understand single phase first which you see in a residential panel, the two hots operate 180 deg. out of phase to supply 240 V power to small motor and heating loads. A single phase power supply operating at 60 Hz reaches zero 60 times per second. Not so efficient but ok for smaller applications.

Three phase has a third hot, all three operate at 120 deg overlapping waveform so power remains constant, that is more efficient and is used in primarily commercial and industrial settings for higher power consumption.

This is a brief simplified explanation and as @frenchelectrician stated there are different types of three phase power.
frenchelectrican and jelhill like this.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #9

Thank you so much for the information I certainly appreciate it. I am in Canada and more specifically in Ontario. So when it comes to 1 phase which is seen in residential what a 3phase in a house just be an overkill in that case? If so is that the reason why they use 3 phase in commercial due to heavy usage such as restaurants and larger appliances?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you so much for the information I certainly appreciate it. I am in Canada and more specifically in Ontario. So when it comes to 1 phase which is seen in residential what a 3phase in a house just be an overkill in that case? If so is that the reason why they use 3 phase in commercial due to heavy usage such as restaurants and larger appliances?
Are you registered as an apprentice in Ontario? Have you been to school yet and what levels have you done so far?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25,356

Tesla came up with three-phase power. He loved the number 3 in the first place.

It's also known as poly-phase power.

It is quite more efficient to generate power in a 3-phase alternator.

Indeed, the 'generator' in your car is a 3-phase alternator that uses internal diodes to convert asynchronous 3-phase power into pretty low ripple DC power at 13.8 Volts.

( The connected battery hugely reduces ripple. )

There are a TON of books on the issue. Visit a library or use a search engine.

BTW, 60 Hertz power goes to 0 volts at twice the frequency - so 120 times a second.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Here by your 4th year you have been to school twice and are almost an electrician. Do they have a mandatory school for apprentices where you are?
Here in Alberta, you would have been to school 3 times.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #13

No I'm not registered, the only chance I got to getting my journeyman papers is if I challenge the exam.
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Tesla came up with three-phase power. He loved the number 3 in the first place.

It's also known as poly-phase power.

It is quite more efficient to generate power in a 3-phase alternator.

Indeed, the 'generator' in your car is a 3-phase

alternator that uses internal diodes to convert asynchronous 3-phase power into pretty low ripple DC power at 13.8 Volts.

( The connected battery hugely reduces ripple. )

There are a TON of books on the issue. Visit a library or use a search engine.

BTW, 60 Hertz power goes to 0 volts at twice the frequency - so 120 times a second.
Thanks again for the help, it seems like a very great and supportive platform to be apart of,and I'm glad to be apart of it now.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,562

Quote:
No I'm not registered, the only chance I got to getting my journeyman papers is if I challenge the exam.
Find a company to indenture you and get your apprenticeship.. A company might credit you some time, and you can challenge your first year test..

IMO challenging your ticket with no schooling on any of the theory will lead to a disaster.. If you're in doubt, read post #1...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 354

Quote:
would like to get some insite if possible
Try filling out your profile- AS PER THE SIGN UP AGREEMENT.
Bird dog likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #17

[QUOTE=The_Modifier;5156542]
Quote:
would like to get some insite if possible
Try filling out your profile- AS PER THE SIGN UP AGREEMENT. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.electriciantalk.com/images/smilies/wink.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.electriciantalk.com/images/smilies/wink.png[/IMG][/QUOTE

I have filled out everything birthday name Ext.. What am I doing incorrectly? I followed every link provided and fill out everything there is to fill out?!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,024

[quote=Eq electric;5156546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Modifier View Post

Try filling out your profile- AS PER THE SIGN UP AGREEMENT. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.electriciantalk.com/images/smilies/wink.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.electriciantalk.com/images/smilies/wink.png[/IMG][/QUOTE

I have filled out everything birthday name Ext.. What am I doing incorrectly? I followed every link provided and fill out everything there is to fill out?!
Go to your "User CP" top left of page, then on left look for "Profile Privacy" & choose "Registered Members" from drop down menus (all 7?). Then only registered members will see your details. That may fix it. Also, on the details page there is a button you can click to see what others see from your details. Try that.
The_Modifier likes this.

Last edited by Bird dog; 02-03-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,033

If you did all the cables in your user picture, then , I shall consider teaching you about 3 phase wiring. Otherwise.............
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
You can’t challenge the exam, whoever told you that you can is lying to you. Don’t believe me? Contact the MTCU and ask them. Challenging is for people who have proof of training from other countries, not for guys who work illegally by not being registered. You must be able to provide proof of experience in order to challenge. Where is your proof of hours working with an electrician going to come from?