3 Phase / 1 Phase question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 4 Post By telsa
  • 3 Post By A Little Short
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By Ultrafault
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
J91
Registered Member

Default 3 Phase / 1 Phase question

Hi guys,

Im told an office runs 120v, 3 phase with a hi leg. However the wall sockets are for single phase (they look like the residential ones). 3 phase type equipment is being made for that office, however since the wall sockets look like the single phase ones, the machiney cant be plugged in. Since im told the office runs 3 phase, can the wall sockets just be changed so a 3 phase machine can be plugged in or is it more complex than that?

Thank you.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by J91 View Post
Hi guys,

Im told an office runs 120v, 3 phase with a hi leg. However the wall sockets are for single phase (they look like the residential ones). 3 phase type equipment is being made for that office, however since the wall sockets look like the single phase ones, the machiney cant be plugged in. Since im told the office runs 3 phase, can the wall sockets just be changed so a 3 phase machine can be plugged in or is it more complex than that?

Thank you.
I hate it when I'm told
readydave8 likes this.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26,836

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you.
Basically, NO.

Basically, YES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,146

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you.
TRANSLATION.....
This is my office space, the electrician said I need 3 phase run to the wall receptacles. Can't I get by with just changing receptacles and not spend all that money?
readydave8, glen1971 and emtnut like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to A Little Short For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
TRANSLATION.....
This is my office space, the electrician said I need 3 phase run to the wall receptacles. Can't I get by with just changing receptacles and not spend all that money?
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Swap out your single phase receptacles for the VFD type. Done.
P&L
readydave8 and emtnut like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
J91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you.
Basically, NO.

Basically, YES.
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you.
TRANSLATION.....
Not really. I dont mind spending some money to get it right (though obviously the less i have to spend the better). The equipment manufacturer said the machines require 3 phase receptacles, and that the machinery can't be plugged in a single phase type socket. The plant electrician is away for a while so i just wanted to get some opinions/options as i need to see if there's a way to do it as soon as possible preferrably.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Band Member

Quote:
The plant electrician is away for a while

Wher'd he go
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
fertilizer distrubuter

Rewards Points: 554

Who would do it if your electrician is gone?
emtnut likes this.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #10
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Not really. I dont mind spending some money to get it right (though obviously the less i have to spend the better). The equipment manufacturer said the machines require 3 phase receptacles, and that the machinery can't be plugged in a single phase type socket. The plant electrician is away for a while so i just wanted to get some opinions/options as i need to see if there's a way to do it as soon as possible preferrably.
None of us will be in a position to give you what you need. You need
to wait for your plant electrician to return, or get another another
electrician in, to find out what it'll take to run 3-phase, at the required
voltage and current, to the locations required.
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
Band Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you.
Honestly, given if I was TOLD that the office was 120V 3phase, with a bitch leg, that gives you 60Vac , and 104V on the bitch leg.
You would have to talk with the mfr to ensure that their equipment was either compatible with 60Vac 3 ph, and/or that they could work on the high leg at 104 Vac.
Most mfr's will work with you on these types of things.

either that, or wait till your plant sparky comes back
readydave8 likes this.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 20,637

About J91
What is your electrical related field/trade:
Electrician
General Location
Florida

Another illegal alien swam across the Rio Grande again.
emtnut likes this.
MechanicalDVR (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Another illegal alien swam across the Rio Grande again.

Like this !

Old 10-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 20,637

To J91 the original poster: These other guys are jerking you around. Here is a picture of a three phase receptacle outlet. Open up your outlets and you will see there is three wires sticking out connected to the old 120 volt ones. Simple to fix when you use this three phase style one. Three terminals for three wires. Easy peasy! Good luck! You should be able to find lots of those outlets down at ACE Hardware stores.

glen1971 and Jamato like this.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #15
Band Member

You're giving all our trade secrets away MacMike ...

readydave8 likes this.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,882

Guys that come here and lie on the 'about me' section really tick me off. Especially when they ask ridiculously ignorant questions.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread should be closed.
readydave8 likes this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (10-23-2016), telsa (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #17
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

The best answer is get a electrician to come in and deal with it or your plant electrician come back.

this is very compacited item and it not that easy to convert from single to three phase unseen.

sorry.,,

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->