Arc welder accidently trips building off ECall - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By joe-nwt
  • 4 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By just the cowboy

Old 05-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Default Arc welder accidently trips building off ECall

A welder was called out by the company facility manager to repair a Damaged Gate-The motorized Iron gate happened to be grounded to the building ground grid. Upon welding the gate the site main tripped--The generators fired up & the welder had no idea until the facility manager ran out & stopped him.

So the welder said it was not his fault because that's where he was told to weld.

So who's fault is it?
JCAUPS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,806

I would be inclined to think the site service should be inspected if welding a gate caused it to trip. Especially the grounding. I wouldn't blame the welder.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,206

It seems strange that a welder placing current on the ground (which welders do) but they set up a circuit from the welder to the equipment that is being welded and back to the welder. The current should not be tripping the main.

UNLESS there are neutrals grounded downstream from the service and the current is on those neutrals, resulting in the GFPE on the main seeing current in excess of the relay setting.

If the welder's equipment checks out I would not blame the welder for doing what welders do weld.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 504

I have seen electronics fry when welders hook up their ground wire to one end of a machine and weld at the other. Usually when two devices mounted on the machine are referencing something to ground and something to neutral. A parallel path for current to return.

But for welding on a gate I would not think so unless like said above boot legged neutral somewhere.

Cowboy
micromind likes this.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,298

Did the welder use house power? Could be a combination of marginal welder equipment and a sensitive fault setting. Once in a while, an ancient Ozark/TWA ground power unit would trip a 480 distribution Ground Fault and .25 mile of "D" concourse would go dark.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 310

Did anybody check to see what the main tripped on before resetting the breaker? I'm assuming GFP. I always had problems for one reason or another when doing GFP testing verifying single point grounds.

What type of ground fault protection circuit is it out of curiosity?
QMED is offline   Reply With Quote