Big transformer lift - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum


Like Tree26Likes
  • 14 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By MotoGP1199
  • 2 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By five.five-six
  • 1 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By oliquir
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By 460 Delta
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 01:48 AM   #1
Watt Pusher
 
B-Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Coquitlam, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Rewards Points: 472
Default Big transformer lift

Today was the biggest wall mount transformer I've ever done. 300 kva, 1750 lbs, plus probably 75 lbs for the rack supporting it. Mounted 11' 6" to the bottom above a parkade ramp.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
__________________
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
B-Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2020, 01:55 AM   #2
Watt Pusher
 
B-Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Coquitlam, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Rewards Points: 472
Default

Those cables you saw above are currently feeding our site with 120/208v 400a. They will be refed in the main electrical room at 600v and will be used to feed the primary of this transformer, giving our site 120/208v 1200a. Next week I'll do the seismic aircraft cables off the front corners for seismic, install the disconnect and wire the load side to the primary, and run the secondary cables upstairs into our space ahead of the delivery of the CDP. After the CDP is installed, we will remove the cables feeding the CT cabinet in the main electrical room, replace them with cables we already have installed from a 600V breaker in the main switchgear, replace the CTs, and relocate those existing cables into the line side of the disconnect.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Wirenuting likes this.
__________________
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
B-Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
MotoGP1199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 283
Rewards Points: 477
Default

Looking great so far. Keep us updated when it's done. What type/size of anchors/lags did you use to support the chain hoist ?
Rainwater01 likes this.
MotoGP1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Watt Pusher
 
B-Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Coquitlam, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Rewards Points: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGP1199 View Post
Looking great so far. Keep us updated when it's done. What type/size of anchors/lags did you use to support the chain hoist ?
I used a 1/2" wedge anchor embedded about 4 - 5" inches into the concrete ceiling, with a rod coupling and a lifting eye. I also had two 1/2" wedge anchors drilled for the vertical rods to pick up the front corners of the rack once installed. During the lift, I attached lifting eyes to these anchors and hung a second chain hoist from them just as a secondary support. At one point we had to re rig the primary hoist and while doing that the secondary took all the weight, and in the process the anchors bent inwards about 45 degrees. So when the lift was complete and the transformer was bolted to the wall, we drilled new anchors alongside the first ones and hung the vertical rods from them.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Wirenuting and MotoGP1199 like this.
__________________
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
B-Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
five.five-six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,877
Rewards Points: 10,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
I used a 1/2" wedge anchor embedded about 4 - 5" inches into the concrete ceiling,

I do not trust those things at all. In retrospect, the failures I have seen have probably been due to poor installation (not getting all the dust out which isn’t a problem drilling up) but I transitioned about 5 years ago to Titan HD type for anything bigger than a 3/8” stud. It’s a bit of a PITA because they need a rattle gun to install them and for me that means a compressor but I have seen the electric ones work.


I digress,

Nice looking work!
B-Nabs likes this.
__________________
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to five.five-six For This Useful Post:
B-Nabs (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
brian john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gilbert's Corner VA
Posts: 30,100
Rewards Points: 1,972
Default

I am surprised the inspector allows this, violates the listing. UL did not test this transformer to operate with all that air underneath it.
B-Nabs likes this.
__________________
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,477
Rewards Points: 2,068
Default

i would have rent a telescopic forklift to do that, a lot more secure and faster install
gpop likes this.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 27,893
Rewards Points: 18,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
i would have rent a telescopic forklift to do that, a lot more secure and faster install
Not me,....... I cannot count how many times I strapped xfmr's to the scissor lift safety bars to hoist em up to those heights........... he had one there too but it looks like he chain hoisted the tran up.


Think different. Steve Jobs.
__________________
JOBS GROWTH SOARS
RECORD WORKING
UNEMPLOYMENT 50-YEAR LOW
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #9
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 6,747
Rewards Points: 3,102
Default

Not many lifts can handle 1750 lbs., but I've done the same with smaller units.
460 Delta likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #10
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 9,255
Rewards Points: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I do not trust those things at all. In retrospect, the failures I have seen have probably been due to poor installation (not getting all the dust out which isn’t a problem drilling up) but I transitioned about 5 years ago to Titan HD type for anything bigger than a 3/8” stud. It’s a bit of a PITA because they need a rattle gun to install them and for me that means a compressor but I have seen the electric ones work.
I never trusted those sleeve anchors either, the engineers loved them, but there was a big recall lately so maybe we were right.

I don't really fully trust those Titans or similar either. (The ones that are like Tapcons only bolts.) The threads are small, and they have to be, you couldn't cut big threads into concrete with the bolt. If the bit wobbles a little too much while drilling, the hole will be tapered and oversized and with those little threads it could be trouble. I also avoid using an impact with Titans if it's something important. Honestly I have not had trouble installing them with a flex handle and socket. But as I have mentioned before I have the strength of ten men so your mileage may vary.

I feel like lag shields and anchors are super strong but engineers don't like them, I don't know why. They are forbidden in the building codes for some things which makes me thing they have had failures in the past, who knows. I have gooped them up with polyurethane glue before inserting the anchor and I really doubt you could get them out without dynamite.

But I want something that satisfies both my feelings and the engineers. Something like this, I'd use drop ins, they are rated for overhead applications. I'd also rather attach a piece of strut with four anchors and hang the chain hoist from the strut, this gives you some redundancy if one anchor isn't quite right. Probably three or four 1/2" drop ins would cover you with a 4x factor, I'd have to look it up. BTW, these would have to be spaced pretty far apart, you can't put drop ins close to each other.
__________________
Whatsoever they HAND findeth to do, do it with thy MIGHT
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
460 Delta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 966
Rewards Points: 1,280
Default

I'd also rather attach a piece of strut with four anchors and hang the chain hoist from the strut, this gives you some redundancy if one anchor isn't quite right. Probably three or four 1/2" drop ins would cover you with a 4x factor, I'd have to look it up. BTW, these would have to be spaced pretty far apart, you can't put drop ins close to each other.[/QUOTE]

If you would attach a Sr strut to the ceiling, how would you then lift from it then, maybe a couple strut 4 wheel trolleys? I would be concerned the strut would spread at bad time then watch the xformer crash to the floor.
On second thought, if you used the trolley system brackets, then it may do the job.
splatz likes this.
__________________
Perfection is the enemy of good enough
460 Delta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #12
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 27,893
Rewards Points: 18,149
Default

Wood ladder....................... lol.............
CoolWill likes this.
__________________
JOBS GROWTH SOARS
RECORD WORKING
UNEMPLOYMENT 50-YEAR LOW
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #13
Watt Pusher
 
B-Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Coquitlam, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Rewards Points: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I never trusted those sleeve anchors either, the engineers loved them, but there was a big recall lately so maybe we were right.



I don't really fully trust those Titans or similar either. (The ones that are like Tapcons only bolts.) The threads are small, and they have to be, you couldn't cut big threads into concrete with the bolt. If the bit wobbles a little too much while drilling, the hole will be tapered and oversized and with those little threads it could be trouble. I also avoid using an impact with Titans if it's something important. Honestly I have not had trouble installing them with a flex handle and socket. But as I have mentioned before I have the strength of ten men so your mileage may vary.



I feel like lag shields and anchors are super strong but engineers don't like them, I don't know why. They are forbidden in the building codes for some things which makes me thing they have had failures in the past, who knows. I have gooped them up with polyurethane glue before inserting the anchor and I really doubt you could get them out without dynamite.



But I want something that satisfies both my feelings and the engineers. Something like this, I'd use drop ins, they are rated for overhead applications. I'd also rather attach a piece of strut with four anchors and hang the chain hoist from the strut, this gives you some redundancy if one anchor isn't quite right. Probably three or four 1/2" drop ins would cover you with a 4x factor, I'd have to look it up. BTW, these would have to be spaced pretty far apart, you can't put drop ins close to each other.
We are no longer allowed to use drop ins here, our seismic engineers won't allow it. I was actually planning on using epoxy on the ceiling anchors the same as I did for the wall, but the seismic guy said that's a no no. Apparently there's a concern that in a fire they would let go. He spec'd 1/2" wedgies embedded minimum 4", so that's what we did. The redundancy was provided by the second hoist.

I would not feel confident putting such a heavy thing on a telescoping material lift, especially not sideways on a ramp, even with a levelling platform. And putting it on the scissor lift is out of the question. Its lifting capacity is 500 lb total, and you approach that with three (small) guys and a few tools. I also don't mind that the chain hoist is slow, it gives you time to assess the situation and make sure everything is going as it should.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
micromind likes this.
__________________
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
B-Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #14
Watt Pusher
 
B-Nabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Port Coquitlam, Canada
Posts: 2,334
Rewards Points: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Wood ladder....................... lol.............
I use what I am provided with. However, I actually prefer wood ladders.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
micromind likes this.
__________________
Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?
B-Nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 9,255
Rewards Points: 1,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
If you would attach a Sr strut to the ceiling, how would you then lift from it then, maybe a couple strut 4 wheel trolleys? I would be concerned the strut would spread at bad time then watch the xformer crash to the floor.

On second thought, if you used the trolley system brackets, then it may do the job.
Something like this job that's way outside the routine for me, I use the Unistrut brand which I can buy locally at Fastenal. I buy that brand because they have a catalog with all the engineering data.

https://www.unistrutohio.com/unistrut-catalog

I think the thick strut nuts are rated for pretty hefty loads but I would check that for sure. Looks like the 3/8" are rated for 2000 pounds so it's marginal with one, but you could double up.

Looks like the Unistrut trolleys are surprisingly lightweight, but maybe other brands are rated for more.
__________________
Whatsoever they HAND findeth to do, do it with thy MIGHT
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com