Boxes part way in block wall - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree9Likes

Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87
Default Boxes part way in block wall

I've spent most of my morning reading through code book to try and find answers to my question but have not found anything really specific to my question.
I have a build out I am doing in an existing shopping center, their is an exterior wall that is block that has 1" furring strips and 1/2 drywall. My idea was to chip the block face down a 1/4-1/2" to fit my box in the wall, mount a 4x4" to the block and bring my MC into that however I know trying to chip the block will result in in busting out. My new idea is to bust the block out around the block and mount a 2x4" flat to that wall and mount my nail on 4 inch square boxes to that and then siliconing or mortaring around the box, where at in the NEC could I find a article relating to this matter.
Thanks for all your replies!
psd7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,162

Is the block hollow? If so you can bust the block out big enough and deep enough for a 4" sq. box with brackets. the furring strip can hold the box in place.

OR

One of these for mc cable if that is what you have

Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
ET rocks

Rewards Points: 2,174

Code wise, you'll just run into the "listed for use" stuff. i would not rely on silicone etc. for mounting. You may get away with mortaring a 4 square as where i can't over here.

Can you use the shallow 4 square (1 1/2") with mud ring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,837

There is no code section on "chipping" or "busting" any finished surface. Being an exterior wall (load bearing)I don't think the inspector will go for "glue in boxes" Since the drywallers beat you to it, it sucks being you right now. If you had your stuff nailed to the block before they showed up with the furring, it would be their problem.(woulda, shoulda, coulda) I suppose you can't go surface?
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 66

1.25" 4 square anchored to the block with 1/4" mudrings.
InPhase277 likes this.
freeagnt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagnt54 View Post
1.25" 4 square anchored to the block with 1/4" mudrings.

Plan B:

4-11/16" square @ 1.25" deep with 1/4" mud ring.

Let the mudders deal with the roughcut.

Use a Fein Multi-Master for perfect cutting in.

Last edited by telsa; 02-04-2016 at 10:37 PM.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

did everyone not read the OP? it says existing firring and drywall. been there a while. and no, there isnt a problem busting a hole the block to fit a box into as long the hole isnt big enough to jepordize the structure. (not gonna happen in your case) as long as you have something to support the box, go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to papaotis For This Useful Post:
donaldelectrician (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
did everyone not read the OP? it says existing firring and drywall. been there a while. and no, there isnt a problem busting a hole the block to fit a box into as long the hole isnt big enough to jepordize the structure. (not gonna happen in your case) as long as you have something to support the box, go for it!

If he wants to screw around all day trying to bust out block through a tiny cut-in-box hole, that's fine, hes not on my crew.

Or he could cut a 4x4" hole, fish wire down, connect m/c, anchor box, mud ring and move to the next one.
freeagnt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,539

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd7.3 View Post
I've spent most of my morning reading through code book to try and find answers to my question but have not found anything really specific to my question.
I have a build out I am doing in an existing shopping center, their is an exterior wall that is block that has 1" furring strips and 1/2 drywall. My idea was to chip the block face down a 1/4-1/2" to fit my box in the wall, mount a 4x4" to the block and bring my MC into that however I know trying to chip the block will result in in busting out. My new idea is to bust the block out around the block and mount a 2x4" flat to that wall and mount my nail on 4 inch square boxes to that and then siliconing or mortaring around the box, where at in the NEC could I find a article relating to this matter.

I am not sure What ART in the NEC you are looking for ?

Ex Block Walls are not considered Same Loco as interior block walls ...

We did not Smash Holes in Block Wall ... We used a small grinder with the

Diamond Mason wheel ... Set Box ... set ring .

Don

Last edited by donaldelectrician; 02-05-2016 at 01:24 AM.
donaldelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #10
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

rereading the OP what is going in the box? 1" furring and 1/2" drywall make 1&1/2" depth, a normal every day box wether 2x4 or 4x4

i like neat! just doesnt always happen
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #11

Boxes part way in block wall-image.jpg
Old 02-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #12

That is what i came up with, the furring strip was only 3/4 inch so i had to remove about 1/4" of the block surface, I appreciate all of your ideas!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #13

Dont mind the crooked drywall cuts, laid off landscapers dont always make great GC helpers ��
CGW likes this.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,539

Quote:

OMG .... What a " Patch " Job .....

You got to teach him how to cut rock so it is patch easy ...

You know the , Blow out patches ... cut on studs flap patch ... side ways flap
patch .... thumb cuts ... ect......

Don
donaldelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:23 AM   #15

Quote:
That is gruesome.

Did you EVER hear of the pumpkin cut ?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 AM   #16

Quote:
With that level of 'detail'.... the rockers should start from scratch.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #17
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

Quote:
I am see something is missing is the conductors ..

how ya going get that in that mc cable ??
telsa likes this.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
rereading the OP what is going in the box? 1" furring and 1/2" drywall make 1&1/2" depth, a normal every day box wether 2x4 or 4x4
For a nice finished appearance the box has to be entirely in the furring strip, the mud ring in the drywall.

Before I'd start chipping up the block, I'd explain to the customer that the furring strips are sized incorrectly for the acceptable wiring methods / boxes available, and use a wiremold extension. That way you don't need a mud ring.

I usually try to get approval for this kind of thing before, some prefer seeking forgiveness after.

Last edited by splatz; 02-05-2016 at 06:11 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #19
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,870

Quote:
Everything here is CBS. I've smashed holes in concrete blocks for decades and usually we screw a furring strip on each side and the GC either patches the hole or it gets blasted with foam buy us unless someone wants to play with mud.
And
I assure you, our south Florida building codes are very, very strict.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 501

Cut a large opening for your 4x4x1-1/2" box, fasten it to the block, install a 1/2'' mud ring and have the general slap another sheet of 1/2" drywall over the entire wall. It would probably be faster for you and the drywall contractor in the end.
telsa and splatz like this.
JohnJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote