Compressor Causes LED Troffer Flicker - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre

Old 04-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Swimmer

Rewards Points: 652
Default Compressor Causes LED Troffer Flicker

I replaced 10 2X2 Fluorescent troffers with LED troffers. The LED troffers flicker while the compressor is running.
Details:

1. Flickering occurs during the entire time the compressor is running which may be a duration of 10 minutes.

2. I measured voltage drop at a fixture when the compressor was off and again while it was on. On: 119V. Off 115V

3. Spec on LED troffers says 110V -277V

4. Connected a Variac to one LED fixture and dialed down to 100V. No flicker

5. Customer said flurorescents used to flicker. There was a combination of magnetic and electronic and I'm not sure which were or were not flickering.

6. New LED troffers have 0-10V dimming but this feature is not connected.

7. Compressor and lighting circuit both come from a 208V 3-phase panel. The compressor takes 2 of these legs with a dedicated circuit. The lights share a leg - not a circuit - with the compressor. The lights are on a dedicated circuit.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,998

Can you put the lights on the leg which does not feed the compressor?

How "loaded" is the service?

Did you check all the connections in the lighting circuit back to the panel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The lights share a leg - not a circuit - with the compressor. The lights are on a dedicated circuit.
I'm not understanding that.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
I'm not understanding that.
He means that the compressor is on A & B phase, and the lights are also on either A or B phase.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
daveEM likes this.
swimmer (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Swimmer

Rewards Points: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Can you put the lights on the leg which does not feed the compressor?

How "loaded" is the service?

Did you check all the connections in the lighting circuit back to the panel?
Problem occurs when nothing is running except a few computers. Also occurs when portable power tools are run. There was no heavy electrical equipment running while I was on site though I'm sure the customer has jobs that require it.

I'll change the legs the next time I go there
Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Problem occurs when nothing is running except a few computers. Also occurs when portable power tools are run. There was no heavy electrical equipment running while I was on site though I'm sure the customer has jobs that require it.

I'll change the legs the next time I go there
Be careful just changing the leg that feeds the lights. If there's a common neutral on 3 circuits, you could end up overloading the neutral. You *might* have to move 3 breakers.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Tags
flicker, led, led troffer flicker, troffer