Concrete pole bases. Precast or pour in place?? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

View Poll Results: Precast or pour 7' pole bases with 4' above grade
Precast for me 3 33.33%
I pour mine 6 66.67%
It depends on the time allowed for installation 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kb1jb1
  • 1 Post By joebanana
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power

Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,356
Default Concrete pole bases. Precast or pour in place??

We have 10 - 7' pole bases for an upcoming job. Our estimator put in a $750 allowance for them thinking we would tie steel and pour using sonotube. I prefer to buy them precast.

Is there a diminishing point somewhere considering the number of poles where pouring or precast has an advantage over the other??
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
We have 10 - 7' pole bases for an upcoming job. Our estimator put in a $750 allowance for them thinking we would tie steel and pour using sonotube. I prefer to buy them precast.

Is there a diminishing point somewhere considering the number of poles where pouring or precast has an advantage over the other??

This whole story is biased due to the fact that you are digging in sand , which means you can hire one apprentice to dig the whole job up in an afternoon, saving yourselves the tens of thousands that it costs the rest of the country to excavate that job, resulting in enough saved cash to be able to easily purchase the pre cast poles........
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
This whole story is biased due to the fact that you are digging in sand , which means you can hire one apprentice to dig the whole job up in an afternoon, saving yourselves the tens of thousands that it costs the rest of the country to excavate that job, resulting in enough saved cash to be able to easily purchase the pre cast poles........
This site was de-mucked down to limestone and then filled in with 10' of compacted fill.
This one isn't a shoveling job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 52

Depending on the soil type and conditions, round pole bases have to be deeper in the ground. The poles that I used required a minimum 24 inch round with six feet in the ground or 24 inch square 4 feet deep. Make the form a pyramid shape and you can down size a bit. 24 X 24 at the bottom and 18 X 18 at the top. Sono tube $100. vs a sheet of plywood $12.00.
Precast you need a crane or other means to lift them to set in place. Pouring them you can work at your own pace.
splatz likes this.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,389

Precast needs a uniform hole, level bottom, same depth, and a crane, and it might lean over time. Pour in place is easier to plumb up. What does the job scope say?
sbrn33 likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Precast needs a uniform hole, level bottom, same depth, and a crane, and it might lean over time. Pour in place is easier to plumb up. What does the job scope say?
The plans show a pole base and a bolt pattern with the steel requirements. I like having the luxury of pacing ourselves and pouring our own but, I might not have the time.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,948

You can always sub it out to a concrete crew, preferably one you've worked with in the past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,314

We ALWAYS pour our own bases.

Now I'm working with a GC we haven't done business with before, and it sounds like all they've ever seen is precast used.

So we'll see, I'm not opposed to precast if the GC is willing to have the dirt sub unload and place them with our assistance.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,134

$750 per pole base? We have good dirt here and no rock, I figure at least $1,500 and still feel like I lose my ass.
Cheapest is to sub it out to the concrete guy but then you have to watch them like a hawk or they will **** you.
10 I would do that a few more I may think about precast, especially if it is a spec type of job. How much is a precast?
splatz likes this.
sbrn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 246

I can hire the same guy with an auger truck to dig a hole for a pour in place or dig and set a precast base for the same price. I haven't done a bigger site job in a while, but I seem to remember somewhere between 15-20 being the break even point that precast begins taking over poured in place. Time also being a factor. Precast bases are always at minimum 4-6 weeks out, after you receive anchor bolts from supplier.

Obviously getting the GC to be responsible for the bases being the best way, subbing to a reliable concrete guy 2nd, pouring your own 3rd, then precast, unless the numbers make sense.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
The plans show a pole base and a bolt pattern with the steel requirements. I like having the luxury of pacing ourselves and pouring our own but, I might not have the time.
In that respect it's like anything else, are you looking to fill more hours and do more work or are you already stretched?

As @sbrn33 said $750 sounds way low based on some of the other pricing you've mentioned. Digging the hole, the rebar, the form, the bolts ... but also, waiting for the concrete truck, the liability you assume, the chance of making an expensive mistake, I can't see $750.
sbrn33 likes this.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #12
Semper Fi

They put it off long enough that we are just going to hire a CW out of the hall and make this his baby for a couple of weeks.
MikeFL likes this.
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,368

Both, precast for streetlights and pour in place for our high mast lighting. The pour in place are generally 48" wide and up to 30' deep. I don't want a precast for that.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote