Cutler-Hammer breaker used in Siemens Panel - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 12-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32
Default Cutler-Hammer breaker used in Siemens Panel

Office staff complained of their computers suddenly shutting down on one particular circuit. At the outlet I was getting varying meter readings. 10V hot-neutral, 120V neutral-grnd, and a minute later 0 V, and then 120V hot-neutral, and so on.
Using a circuit tester, it showed Hot and Ground reversed.

Traced circuit to a Siemens NLAB442C 3 phase 4 wire, 120/208 panel (Canada) designed for Type Q and BQ Siemens branch breakers and found a 15A cutler-hammer type BR115/C115, the only breaker of its kind in the panel. I locked out the breaker and will change after hours.

Has anyone else ran into this sort of issue?

Even though the breaker "fits" and has worked for some time apparently, am I right to assume this is the cause of the problem?
Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,944

I find mis-matched breakers all the time. Why did you not just change it right there?

For as long as it took to "lock it out", you could have changed the breaker.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #3

I wanted to get some practice filling out my lockout tag and signing and dating my lockout lock and filing the proper lockout forms for management approval.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 3,373

Siemens push-ins can be a little finicky anyway so the mismatch is probably the issue. If you didn’t have a replacement with you, I would have tested it on a different breaker just to make sure.

Since you have the option, replace it with a bolt-in.
Kyle93 likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Hot and ground reversed??
splatz likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
sbrn33 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Hot and ground reversed??
Yeah, was reading 0V hot-neutral and 120V neutral-ground. And circuit tester came up with hot-ground reversed.
Seems dangerous.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 553

It's probably a loose connection somewhere. The breaker is a good place to start. I have a hard time getting all excited about mismatched breakers though.
Reliance and generac buy loadcenters from Siemens, modifies them with interlocks and has them listed for use with all four manufacturers breakers. If UL says a br, hom or thq breaker is okay in that panel, why not in a Siemens branded one? Just ran into a Kohler transfer switch the other day. Same thing. Siemens guts, listed for all four. Milbank meter main also listed for all 4.

Last edited by JoeSparky; 12-18-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Damned autocorrect
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
It's probably a loose connection somewhere. The breaker is a good place to start. I have a hard time getting all excited about mismatched breakers though.

Reliance and generac buy loadcenters from Siemens, modifies them with interlocks and has them listed for use with all four manufacturers breakers. If UL says a br, home or the breaker is okay in that panel, why not in a Siemens branded one? Just ran into a Kohler transfer switch the other day. Same thing. Siemens guts, listed for all four. Milbank meter main also listed for all 4.
Interesting.
Was not able to find any loose connections. And the outlet worked normally after C-H breaker was cycled off-on.
Unless I jostled something while searching for loose wire/tracing circuit..

Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Petulant Amateur

I would have solved the problem then and there. Even if I didn’t have the breaker, I would have used a breaker temporarily that was used for a candy bar dispenser or something. Too many variables with the wonky meter readings, although wonky meter readings aren’t uncommon.

Computers are sacred. It would be my first priority to get them up and running.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
Band Member

Rewards Points: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
I wanted to make it look all technical with the lock-out, and change the breaker after hours ... "Cha-Ching"

FIFY

Receptacle testers are fine for a quick 'is there power check'.
They give lots of false readings ... when you get one, pull out a wiggy or low impedance meter and take your readings.

Sounds like an open Hot, and you were getting ghost readings.
Navyguy and Kyle93 like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 553

Quote:
Interesting.
Was not able to find any loose connections. And the outlet worked normally after C-H breaker was cycled off-on.
Unless I jostled something while searching for loose wire/tracing circuit..

The loose connection could be on the bus bar, or worn-out internally on the breaker. Either way I'd start by replacing a breaker. Based on your outlet tester lights, I'd be inclined to believe there's a loose neutral on the circuit somewhere though. Find the furthest point you can on the circuit, plug a space heater in there and start wiggling things.
splatz likes this.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,636

Did you not pull the receptacle? WTF?
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Did you not pull the receptacle? WTF?
Yeah, ghost readings there. and no loose or reversed connections.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,636

Quote:
Yeah, ghost readings there. and no loose or reversed connections.
Go get yourself a T-Pro+. Doesn't really sound like a breaker to me though if those are actual readings.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,140

That sounds like a loose neutral on a multiwire branch circuit, breaker could be a coincidence, or maybe you have two problems.

Of course replace with bolt on first to eliminate one possibility, check the bus. That has to be done whatever else.

If the meter is not low-Z, that could be a second source of confusion, three problems. Get the low Z.
Saucy likes this.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 5,944

On those little plug in testers, often an open ground comes up as a hot - ground reversed (I have no idea why). I think it depends what is plugged into the circuit at the time you do the test.

Had one the other day, light switch open, hot - ground reversed, light switch closed open ground. It turned out to be an open ground in a light box in the basement where the customer said that they did not install that brand new fixture...

They are a good "check tool" but you need a quality meter for any real testing.

Cheers
John
gpop likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
That sounds like a loose neutral on a multiwire branch circuit, breaker could be a coincidence, or maybe you have two problems.

Of course replace with bolt on first to eliminate one possibility, check the bus. That has to be done whatever else.

If the meter is not low-Z, that could be a second source of confusion, three problems. Get the low Z.
Not using a low-z meter was a mistake. Will check outlet with wiggy after hours.

Could not find open or loose neutral yet, although that's what I first thought too.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #18
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 22,901

It's time for your Mactip of the day! I always check with the Knopp tester first, and then if I wanna see something more intricate like continuity, voltage drop, or amps- I take out my fluke tester.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 3,014

Is this the first time you have ever found a bad neutral wire???????

If you read anything other than 0v between ground and neutral then its not bloody connect to ground is it.

As a hint......something else is plugged in on the same circuit (thats how power is getting from the live wire to the neutral)

Sorry long day......
Kyle93 likes this.

Last edited by gpop; 12-18-2019 at 07:02 PM.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #20
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
Is this the first time you have ever found a bad neutral wire???????

If you read anything other than 0v between ground and neutral then its not bloody connect to ground is it.

As a hint......something else is plugged in on the same circuit (thats how power is getting from the live wire to the neutral)

Sorry long day......

You short them together so boom! Found the problem?
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote