Driling Through Studs - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree14Likes
  • 5 Post By 99cents
  • 4 Post By splatz
  • 3 Post By HertzHound
  • 2 Post By splatz

Old 04-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Default Driling Through Studs

Looking for anyones input on the best way to drill through these steel studs. Drilling horizontally, parallel to the bottom of the window. I am thinking a carbide cutter and right angle drill would work. Looking to see if there is a better way out there. The steel is thick, probably at least 1/16"
joesparky28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10,418

Stud punch if you have the room.

Carbide cutters work very well, just gotta keep em lubed up like everything else.

How many studs and holes? Like a ton of them or just a few?
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 3,041

I just use a step bit.
Navyguy, flyboy, tmessner and 2 others like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

No room for a stud punch. I like the step bit idea. About 20-30 holes.
joesparky28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,888

Buy a couple of these

Milwaukee 1-3/8 in. SHOCKWAVE IMPACT DUTY Hole Saw

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...9830/204994423

And 50 of these

Arlington SB13

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/lo...tal-studs/SB13

and you'll be done faster than what it took me to make this post.
zac, canbug, Signal1 and 1 others like this.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

I usually use a stud punch where I can. If there's no room, I use a step bit on my impact for the lighter gauge stuff and a hole saw on a drill for the heavy gauge. Keep them lubed up or you'll be replacing them often (especially with the heavier gauge studs). I've also found the Milwaukee Quik-lok hole saw extensions come in handy for situations you have 2 studs close together. Its also come in handy for several other situations and fits my holehawg and auger for residential rough ins.

PS i'd refrain from using any high torque drills on metal studs. If it catches, youll rip studs out of the wall lol.
raffcapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 324

Greenlee Stud Punch
NoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,490

Oxygen and Acetylene.
99cents, Switched and raffcapz like this.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I just use a step bit.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
terras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I just use a step bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terras View Post
Yep
It's fine if you're just making a few holes but a step bit isn't really the right tool for the job, I bet I can talk you out of it.

Step bits are slow for making holes, because you are actually making a series of holes - one for each step.

Compared to a cutter, you make a lot more shavings mess with a step bit. Think about it, the whole slug you make with a cutter - that's all shavings with a step bit.

Unless you're making a hole the max size of the step bit, you have to carefully stop at the right step to get the right size hole. If you don't get the right size, your bushing won't fit.

Step bits are expensive and one of the most pilfered things on the job site.

It's hard to find step bits with a hex shank that will work with an impact driver. The Milwaukee cutters are at HD and etc., and on the M18 impact make a nice short package that's easy to fit between studs and easy to put an extension on.

A step bit still is a must to have around, it's by far the easiest way to enlarge an existing KO, and you can drill a bunch of different size holes with one bit, and I will admit I just get a kick out of watching them work, but then I am easily entertained.
zac and B-Nabs like this.

Last edited by splatz; 04-15-2020 at 06:43 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,822

@splatz - I agree with your assessment, by the OP is only doing 30 holes. Now if he was doing several hundred or a thousand, then the stud punch is probably the best option; granted it cannot get to all the places you need, but then you are back to drilling just a few holes.

The issue with drilling with any bit, is often the framers only use one kelly screw and it is so easy to rip the stud out with anything that spins.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote