Multi unit retail - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By joebanana
  • 1 Post By cdslotz
  • 2 Post By manchestersparky
  • 1 Post By MTW
  • 1 Post By kb1jb1
  • 1 Post By MHElectric
  • 2 Post By nrp3
  • 1 Post By nrp3
  • 1 Post By MHElectric
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By MTW

Old 03-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 710
Default Multi unit retail

Is there anything that says a single unit retail space being zoned into 4 smaller retail spaces must be separated electrically?

The owner just wants to keep all the electrical as one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,119

If he's going to foot the bill for all four, sure. And if he doesn't mind all the tenants bugging him to flip breakers, after he figures out which one.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
If he's going to foot the bill for all four, sure. And if he doesn't mind all the tenants bugging him to flip breakers, after he figures out which one.

Not how I would design things, but if it’s legal and that’s what he wants I’ll give it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 990

What about firewall requirements?
splatz likes this.
cdslotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,402

I would consider talking to the head building inspector downtown about that.

There's no codes that I know of, however, most cities have some type of ordinances about shared occupancy in shopping/retail zoning.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 2,276

ALL 4 of the tenants would need access to the electrical Panel UNLESS there is 24 hour maintenance
MHElectric and splatz like this.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 944

I know this is done in office buildings all the time. One meter for the whole floor and the electric is built into the rent based on square footage.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
MTW

Rewards Points: 12,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
Is there anything that says a single unit retail space being zoned into 4 smaller retail spaces must be separated electrically?

The owner just wants to keep all the electrical as one.
So this guy is an extreme cheapskate I see. He won't pay for the proper electrical upgrade, but will pay a common electric bill for all the tenants in perpetuity. Makes perfect sense.
splatz likes this.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
So this guy is an extreme cheapskate I see. He won't pay for the proper electrical upgrade, but will pay a common electric bill for all the tenants in perpetuity. Makes perfect sense.
He might just be practical. Many times size and configurations of units change so it might be better to keep it under one meter especially if the electric usage is consistant between tenants. I have seen walls move every 2 / 3 years and then the question comes up who is paying for what. A good property manager should know what is best for his buildings.
splatz likes this.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,919

Much as this forum loved to stomp on EE's , this is one area where they are more familiar with the many rules and regulations in your area. Fire Alarm system?
Sprinklers? Is the building owner allowed to add his own sub metering? As another posted -- Firewall?

Could be none of that matters. Could be it all might and it might end up being a financial disaster for you to become involved in.

This is when I usually insist on stamped drawings and a building permit number from the customer (usually a general contractor in commercial jobs ).

One more thing. Check the fine print in your liability insurance policy papers.
Deviations from accepted standards and laws can lead sometimes to the carrier abandoning you entirely. Legally.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 1,536

One of the office buildings I work on was a single tenant bank when first built and has been cut up and remodeled so many times that eventually management realized it was easier to take back all of the accounts because meters and panels are scattered all over the place and circuits are intermingled between spaces. Then they can more fairly account for the electricity cost. They started with emon dmon, but it was still so much of a mess that it didn't work out.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jb1 View Post
He might just be practical. Many times size and configurations of units change so it might be better to keep it under one meter especially if the electric usage is consistant between tenants. I have seen walls move every 2 / 3 years and then the question comes up who is paying for what. A good property manager should know what is best for his buildings.
Dude, I did a service call at a Sally Beauty one time cause their HVAC wasn't working. I got up on the roof of the shopping center, only to find a sea of AC units with no labels for what retail space they belonged to, I eventually traced the power outage back to an Air Handling Unit that wasn't even in the same tenant space!!!

I'm guessing after 40 years of remodels and tenant changes, somehow the air handling unit for that space got enclosed into the the unit next door.

I don't know of any electrical codes that violates, but I'm positive it violates all kinds of building codes.
nrp3 likes this.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Can't Remember

Commercial suffers from all the problems residential does. Hacks are everywhere.
MHElectric and MTW like this.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
Commercial suffers from all the problems residential does. Hacks are everywhere.
Retail work and residential work both seem to have a bunch of crazy stuff. Doing a few years of service work in either of these two areas of will season somebody up real good.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #15
Can't Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHElectric View Post
Retail work and residential work both seem to have a bunch of crazy stuff. Doing a few years of service work in either of these two areas of will season somebody up real good.

Or drive them into new construction. I like the challenge to a point. Sometimes a tear out makes more sense.
MHElectric likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
MHElectric (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
Or drive them into new construction. I like the challenge to a point. Sometimes a tear out makes more sense.
Yes!

Sometimes service work will drive a man to say screw it, I'm going back to construction! But sometimes construction work will cause someone to say the exact same thing!
Superman likes this.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #17
Can't Remember

I agree, most new construction bores me to death, but it has its appeal too. There’s something for everyone in this trade.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #18

Agreed. We all need to find where we fit in the best.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #19
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 21,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHElectric View Post
Dude, I did a service call at a Sally Beauty one time cause their HVAC wasn't working. I got up on the roof of the shopping center, only to find a sea of AC units with no labels for what retail space they belonged to, I eventually traced the power outage back to an Air Handling Unit that wasn't even in the same tenant space!!!

I'm guessing after 40 years of remodels and tenant changes, somehow the air handling unit for that space got enclosed into the the unit next door.

I don't know of any electrical codes that violates, but I'm positive it violates all kinds of building codes.
We have a Sally Beauty store in Hawaii Kai. The women that work there are the farthest thing from beauty that it is possible to conceive. I've seen close in some of the antifa memes posted here, but not in the same league as these ugly women are. It's scary and hilarious all at the same time........
Old 05-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #20
MTW

Rewards Points: 12,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
We have a Sally Beauty store in Hawaii Kai. The women that work there are the farthest thing from beauty that it is possible to conceive. I've seen close in some of the antifa memes posted here, but not in the same league as these ugly women are. It's scary and hilarious all at the same time........
I had a female friend once (yes, I know, hard to believe ) who was 5' tall and weighed 95 pounds soaking wet. She walked into a Lane Bryant store once by accident not knowing it was for fat chicks and one of the large women that worked there told her "This store isn't for you, honey."
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote