Electrician Talk banner

Pulse start MH ballast

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  The bishop 
#1 ·
I have to replace a lithonia PGR 175M garage fixture ballast, this one has a relay inside the ballast kit And I'm having trouble communicating the type of ballast I need even with all the numbers off the fixture, is this a pulse start fixture? I would appreciate someone's help.

#2 ·
Now you're really screwed....:eek::laughing: Just kidding.:)

You want to get the cat Number off ,of the ballast and the ANSI rating when you change any HID fixture Ballast you want to change it as a kit ,Don't waste your time messing around with starters and capacitors just change the whole thing as a kit and make sure that you lamp matches the ANSI rating on the ballast.

Take a look at this link

Welcome to the forum you will have fun here.....:thumbup::thumbup:

#5 ·
The bishop said:
Thanks for the reply, I am replacing the whole ballast kit but the supply houses seem confused when I give them all the numbers, so I guess what I need to know is if I get a pulse start ballast, is that the one that has a relay in the kit
Look at the label on the ballast get the cat number and the ANSI rating and match that up with the MH lamp, All metal halide lamps have an ANSI rating match them up and your good to go.

#6 ·
I guess I'm not saying it right, when I convey the numbers from the fixtures and the ballasts to the supply house for a replacement they either don't understand or give me the wrong one, where I'm confused is why the ballast has a relay in it and is that a version of a pulse start.

#8 ·
I have to replace a lithonia PGR 175M garage fixture ballast, this one has a relay inside the ballast kit And I'm having trouble communicating the type of ballast I need even with all the numbers off the fixture, is this a pulse start fixture? I would appreciate someone's help.
Any chance that you may have a aux or emergecy light with it ? the reason why due I know you say 175 W MH but the relay it kinda did click in my mind real quick some of the parking garage do have stand by or emergecy bulb ( it also used on cold start )

They will have differnt kit part number if you have aux lamp there.

Merci,
Marc

#9 ·
I appreciate everyone's input, now that I'm actually starting to replace them I'm finding out that these are part of a PLC lighting control system that has several ambient light level sensors that turn the lights off when it's bright enough in the garage, they also have dimmers on the lighting circuits. I'm replacing the ballast parts with new pulse starts and reconnecting the relay back the way it was and everything is working but the relays are in every light and have a wire coming of the capacitor so I still don't know what these do exactly but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing till I can get more info. Very weird that lithonia can't help me with their own product.

#10 ·
Check with the ballast manufacter for more details and you describing a dimming relay which it will cut in or cut out the capaitour so it will change the light level / power useage.

Again please check the ballast manufacter which you have them on your ballast and double check the wiring diagram some case it may changed from the oringal one.

Merci,
Marc

#11 ·
Thanks frenchelectrician, everything you say does make sense so you know what your talk in about. I changed the power pack in the light cont.box cause the old one was broke and the light sensors weren't getting 24v so after fixing that the whole parking cont. box is now like clockwork. I have a few more ballast kits to change but know I know exactly how these things work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.