2-005(a) is it safe to say that... - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree25Likes

Old 09-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,306
Default 2-005(a) is it safe to say that...

this rule is completely void? Swapping from duplex to decora did not require a permit but now with the arc fault rule, 2-005(a)(vii) basically calls for a permit at all times?
In what situation can an electrical contractor swap out duplex to decora and NOT require a permit now?
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 170
Default 2-005(a) is it safe to say that...

Is this a strandata or oesc rule cause it's not in the cec
BlackHowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,449

Pffft. I would never pull a permit to change out devices.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHowling View Post
Is this a strandata or oesc rule cause it's not in the cec
Yeah oesc
Attached Thumbnails
2-005(a) is it safe to say that...-capture.jpg  

Last edited by NDC; 09-07-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
NDC

It's embarrassing that I still cannot grasp this new arc fault rule. I understand how I need to apply the new rule for new installations no problem, however when dealing with renovations and small service calls I'm lost as to when I have to apply it.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

I'm with 99; would never consider getting a permit to change a plug.
Wouldn't add an arc fault either.
Adding a plug or moving a plug is another story.
YMMV
P&L
99cents, silver50032000 and NDC like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
Yeah oesc
Just going by the chart you posted it seems clear what you don''t need an inspection for so I'd also figure no permit.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #8
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Just going by the chart you posted it seems clear what you don''t need an inspection for so I'd also figure no permit.
I personally would not pull a permit to upgrade duplex to decora, however technically this work now does require a permit as of May 2016 it seems.
The circuit must be brought up to current code if it's modified. Just like kitchen counter receptacles had to be brought up to current code when we replaced duplex with decora we had to now gfi the splits.
Bringing this circuit to current 2016 oesc requires a panel modification and 2-005(a)(vii) states that replacing a breaker requires an inspection.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
I personally would not pull a permit to upgrade duplex to decora, however technically this work now does require a permit as of May 2016 it seems.
The circuit must be brought up to current code if it's modified. Just like kitchen counter receptacles had to be brought up to current code when we replaced duplex with decora we had to now gfi the splits.
Bringing this circuit to current 2016 oesc requires a panel modification and 2-005(a)(vii) states that replacing a breaker requires an inspection.
Things maybe different in the great white north but I've never seen a permit pulled to swap a breaker.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 7,622

Quote:
Yeah oesc
Does that not say you don't need a permit to replace a receptacle?

Where does it say we have to arc fault the circuit if we replace a receptacle exactly?

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something?
eddy current is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Can you also show me where it says we have to gfi an existing circuit if we are just replacing the receptacle?

Moving an existing counter receptacle yes, we must follow new codes but just replacing an old or broken duplex receptacle?
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #12
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post

Where does it say we have to arc fault the circuit if we replace a receptacle exactly?

Yes it does say a permit is not required but anytime we modify a circuit we must bring the circuit up to code and new code requires arc faulting general use receptacles. Arc faulting general use receptaces requires a breaker change out so technically this requires a permit.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #13
Petulant Amateur

It's telling me you can replace 120V receptacles but need a permit to replace a dryer receptacle. Dumb.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:

Yeah that wasn't in ye old kings English for me either.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Yes it does say a permit is not required but anytime we modify a circuit we must bring the circuit up to code and new code requires arc faulting general use receptacles. Arc faulting general use receptaces requires a breaker change out so technically this requires a permit.
It's a repair and, if anyone argues, you're repairing the colour from ivory to white.
NDC and PlugsAndLights like this.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #16
NDC

Quote:
Can you also show me where it says we have to gfi an existing circuit if we are just replacing the receptacle?

Moving an existing counter receptacle yes, we must follow new codes but just replacing an old or broken duplex receptacle?
Splits that were installed within 1m of a sink that were not gfci originally are grandfathered. Soon as we swap the duplex split for decora style, we had to now gfci the circuit because it's within 1m of the sink, hence bringing it up to code.
Here's the bulletin about kitchen splits https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files...s/14-02-FL.pdf
Old 09-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Replacing old or broken receptacles does not require upgrading the circuit.

Only adding or moving a receptacle (or doing any wiring) requires upgrades.
PlugsAndLights likes this.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Splits that were installed within 1m of a sink that were not gfci originally are grandfathered. Soon as we swap the duplex split for decora style, we had to now gfci the circuit because it's within 1m of the sink, hence bringing it up to code.
Here's the bulletin about kitchen splits https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files...s/14-02-FL.pdf
That is instructions on how to GFI an existing outlet if you want, not a requirement.

From the link:
Background
Often home owners and contractors wish to upgrade existing kitchen counter split receptacles to the Ground
Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) type for the added safety value.
emtnut and PlugsAndLights like this.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #19
NDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
It's a repair and, if anyone argues, you're repairing the colour from ivory to white.
I agree. I am just looking at this from a very technical point of view because technically speaking I'm technically lost when it comes to arc fault BS.

A friend of mine pulled his own permit to do some work in his master bedroom. He knocked down a wall and re worked some of the wiring. When the inspector showed up for the final, he walked past one of the bedrooms and noticed shiny new white decoras where they should have been ivory duplex, or used to be. I'm guessing the inspector saw the old style when he went there for the initial inspection and maybe took note of it.
Long story short he told my buddy that he had to arc fault the circuit because he modernized the receptacles.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #20
NDC

Quote:
That is instructions on how to GFI an existing outlet if you want, not a requirement.

From the link:
Background
Often home owners and contractors wish to upgrade existing kitchen counter split receptacles to the Ground
Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) type for the added safety value.
Maybe you're right. I completed a general inspection deficiency list recently and on the list was a requirement to gfci the counter receptacle that was within 1m of the sink because the homeowner replaced the duplex receptacles with decoras.