22 Electricians caught cheating on exam, loose their license - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Incognito
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By flyboy
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 2 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By onthegravytrain
  • 1 Post By Navyguy
  • 1 Post By 99cents

Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954
Default 22 Electricians caught cheating on exam, loose their license

An instructor was giving them the answers, he was fired.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5200227
onthegravytrain likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,475

Hang ‘em high.
glen1971 likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 3,829

I'm surprised they don't have a proctor in the room.
onthegravytrain likes this.
flyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
I'm surprised they don't have a proctor in the room.
They do.

They weren’t cheating at the actual exam, they had copies of the exam beforehand I heard.
flyboy (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,642

Prairie boys
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,516

I can hear it from here.
  1. Sorry
  2. Sorry
  3. Sorry
  4. Sorry
  5. Sorry
  6. Sorry
  7. Sorry
  8. Sorry
  9. Sorry
  10. Sorry
  11. Sorry
  12. Sorry
  13. Sorry
  14. Sorry
  15. Sorry
  16. Sorry
  17. Sorry
  18. Sorry
  19. Sorry
  20. Sorry
  21. Sorry
  22. Sorry
glen1971 likes this.

Last edited by Southeast Power; 07-16-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Saskatchewan’s version of Collegegate .

Where’s Aunt Becky?
stiffneck likes this.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,800

According to some on here, working without a license is fine, so why bother? Just saying...

Hopefully they used the "Snitch Line"... Oh wait that is only in Ontario...

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 26

^Actually, a good point. A number of people including unlicensed contractors bang out shady electrical work every day. At least these kids memorized an exam and probably retained 40% of the knowledge.
onthegravytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 176

Friend of mine had his driver's license for a couple years when he gets a letter in the mail saying he needed to go to DMV. He did and they cut his license in half. Turns out his driver's ed teacher in high school wasn't legit. They made him do a driving test and a written test, then issued a new license. It was a tense hour for him not knowing if he was leaving that day able to drive or not.

What's horrible about the rogue instructor on the electrician exam is everyone in that class failed even though most (or all) did not need to cheat. Instructor hands something out and you take it. Happens everyday in every classroom.

I'd hope they're just going to retest those electricians instead of ruining them for life over something that was not only not their fault but something they had no control of.
tmessner and onthegravytrain like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 26

I don't know. Something tells me if I were to knowingly take material that looked like the exam I was about to take, I would feel responsible for anything that happens to me.
glen1971 likes this.
onthegravytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

There might be a grey area here.

I took my Master’s course through correspondence with an accredited college. Essentially it was a shoebox full of photocopies with online testing and a tutor. The exams to pass that course were similar to the actual Master’s exams.

An instructor’s job is to teach the material but it isn’t out of line for him to prepare his students for writing the exams. Writing mock exams is common. Where do you draw the line? If he was providing students with actual copies of the IP exams, that’s different, but I’m not sure how an instructor gets copies of those exams and they can change at any time anyway.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,800

There is a fine line(s) between teaching the exam, teaching to the exam and teaching for the exam.

All instructors should be teaching for the exam; meaning giving the students the skills / knowledge required as well as preparing them for the nuance of the exam such as "may", "should" and "shall" type usages. This is covered generally by ensuring there is sufficient self-study and all the learning outcomes are achieved.

Teaching to the exam, is different. It generally means that the instructor will review the exam and focus on content that is on the exam and not necessarily on other aspects of the curriculum; such as practice tests, or specific formulas. Cursory time is spent on skills (such as mathematics) that are transferable to other elements of the content.

Teaching the exam is outright academic misconduct. This requires the student to memorize questions and answers and generally the focus is only placed on passing the exam. The knowledge and skills required to meet the standard of the curriculum is generally ignored.

The question is did the students participate willingly or knowingly? That is the part that may suck for some of them. While it might fair to say that they did not know they were "cheating", I have known many instructors that clearly indicate something like "this would be a good thing to know" <wink wink nod nod>...

Cheers
John
el diablo likes this.

Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #14
RSE Master Electrician

The exam is not available to instructors or anyone to use. Even when you write you have to agree to not give out any questions and they don’t tell you which ones you got wrong or right.

The article said there was another person from the ministry who was involved. I bet they got the exam and were charging the students for the training with a 100% guarantee of passing if they took the course.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
The exam is not available to instructors or anyone to use. Even when you write you have to agree to not give out any questions and they don’t tell you which ones you got wrong or right.

The article said there was another person from the ministry who was involved. I bet they got the exam and were charging the students for the training with a 100% guarantee of passing if they took the course.
It had to be an inside job if the instructor had actual copies. I can’t imagine they made much money compared to losing their jobs.
Navyguy likes this.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #16
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,233

Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote