220 single phase to 3 phase? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By oliquir
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power

Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156
Default 220 single phase to 3 phase?

Hello all! a relative of mine who has a detached shop is thinking of buying a German made lathe that is 3 phase 380V. He has 220V single phase to his shop right now so I'm wondering if first of all, it is against code to do so because it's a residence or not?
Secondly, if acceptable, what sort of equipment is required?
Does the voltage need to be stepped up first to 380 and THEN converted to 3-phase or vise versa? (converted to 3-phase first Then stepped up)]
Is this all even possible?
I know that single phase voltage can be obtained from 3-phase voltage but not sure about the other way around.
Just so you all know my brother-in-law has not even bought anything yet and its just something he was considering due to getting this lathe at such a great deal. He would hire a licensed electrical contractor if he goes ahead with it after all costs involved are considered.
This is NOT a side job of mine and I would not even attempt such a task, probably not even if I was licensed!

Also thank you to all who add comments to this thread and thank you in advance for any help
TechieBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 146

Some VFDs will let you bring Single phase in and 3 phase out, works good for Table saws. Your line current will be increased on your L1 L2 Lines though. Not sure if you'll get rated voltage from a 220V input going to 380
psgama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psgama For This Useful Post:
TechieBecky (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,754

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgama View Post
Some VFDs will let you bring Single phase in and 3 phase out, works good for Table saws. Your line current will be increased on your L1 L2 Lines though. Not sure if you'll get rated voltage from a 220V input going to 380
He should be able to adjust the output voltage. Max voltage.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Valdes For This Useful Post:
TechieBecky (01-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

I was under the impression that the maximum voltage output you could get out of your VFD is 1.414 * RMS voltage when Ran on single phase due to the cyclical power.

220V * 1.414 = 311V Which is lower than your rated voltage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, Take note, your VFD should be rated for approximately double the HP of the motor your running if it's over 3 HP due to the increased line current running it single phase.
So 3 HP Motor = 6 HP VFD

Last edited by psgama; 01-19-2016 at 02:31 PM.
TechieBecky (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
I was under the impression that the maximum voltage output you could get out of your VFD is 1.414 * RMS voltage when Ran on single phase due to the cyclical power.

220V * 1.414 = 311V Which is lower than your rated voltage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just worked on a project that had an ABB ACS250 drive with a single phase 115 volt input and 3 phase 230 volt output.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don_resqcapt19 For This Useful Post:
TechieBecky (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

Interesting. I'll have to look more into that

Last edited by psgama; 01-19-2016 at 03:16 PM.
TechieBecky (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Yes, I didn't think they existed, so I had to dig up the specs when I was reviewing the panel design.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,992

unless he wants to pay CSA special inspection (or the machine is listed for use in canada), it is not legal, but most people don't care
oldtimer and 51360 like this.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oliquir For This Useful Post:
TechieBecky (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
unless he wants to pay CSA special inspection (or the machine is listed for use in Canada), it is not legal, but most people don't care
Thankyou all for the replies!
Yes this is his main concern, if ESA will even entertain this install at all. I was under the impression that 3 phase power is not allowed on a residential property in Ontario or Canada for that matter, am I wrong? Is there a code for this?
I see section 2 has this code; Max voltage is 150Vt-to-ground as per code 2-106.
He is looking to buy over $25,000 in shop equipment so he is not worried about having proper CSA approvals done. he just wants good reliable equipment and swears by this German made stuff hehe
Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #10
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieBecky View Post
Thankyou all for the replies!
Yes this is his main concern, if ESA will even entertain this install at all. I was under the impression that 3 phase power is not allowed on a residential property in Ontario or Canada for that matter, am I wrong? Is there a code for this?
I see section 2 has this code; Max voltage is 150Vt-to-ground as per code 2-106.
He is looking to buy over $25,000 in shop equipment so he is not worried about having proper CSA approvals done. he just wants good reliable equipment and swears by this German made stuff hehe
There is no code against 3-phase on a residential property, it is commonly done with larger houses. The 150 V to ground thing might be an issue though. That would be a question for your AHJ.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,873

Change out the motor to a single phase.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joebanana For This Useful Post:
TechieBecky (01-23-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #12
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,878

Quote:
Hello all! a relative of mine who has a detached shop is thinking of buying a German made lathe that is 3 phase 380V. He has 220V single phase to his shop right now so I'm wondering if first of all, it is against code to do so because it's a residence or not?
Secondly, if acceptable, what sort of equipment is required?
Does the voltage need to be stepped up first to 380 and THEN converted to 3-phase or vise versa? (converted to 3-phase first Then stepped up)]
Is this all even possible?
I know that single phase voltage can be obtained from 3-phase voltage but not sure about the other way around.
Just so you all know my brother-in-law has not even bought anything yet and its just something he was considering due to getting this lathe at such a great deal. He would hire a licensed electrical contractor if he goes ahead with it after all costs involved are considered.
This is NOT a side job of mine and I would not even attempt such a task, probably not even if I was licensed!

Also thank you to all who add comments to this thread and thank you in advance for any help
I know that he wants that specific lathe but, it just has too many strikes against it to be installed.
He should look more toward something compatible with the power he has available.
just the cowboy likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
TechieBecky (01-23-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Fond of three phase

Rewards Points: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
I know that he wants that specific lathe but, it just has too many strikes against it to be installed.
He should look more toward something compatible with the power he has available.
Is the equipment new or used? I don't think Germany builds much 380 volt 3 phase products. The new voltage standards for the EU are 230/400 @ 50HZ.
A VFD is the only way to go! Single phase VFD's for 3 HP motor should be readily available with a input of 240 volts. Lathes, like table saws, start with little of no load. Also, being able to set voltage, as well as frequency will let the machine operate, they way it was designed.
retiredsparktech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retiredsparktech For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (01-24-2016), TechieBecky (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #14

Well my bro-inlaw decided to buy the lathe, it was apparently free considering what he paid for it so he couldn't pass it up. I have suggested swapping out the motor and he is going to look into doing so however here is the motor plate (first pic) and control box plate (second pic)
Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
220 single phase to 3 phase?-img_7873.jpg  

220 single phase to 3 phase?-img_7872.jpg  

Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,754

Quote:
Take a measurement of the bus voltage on a VFD. This my friend is how you can get more out, than you put in as far as voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Change out the motor to a single phase.
If the motor is less money sure.
But with using just a motor, speed changes are done with pulleys. Mechanical adjustment if you will. Most lathes today have adjustable speed capability. (VFD). And the ones without, are getting it.
With a VFD, the lathe operator can adjust speed with a turn of the new poteniometer you installed on the operator panel.
The VFD is the way to go IMO. Being able to adjust speed, must be considered when looking at a new motor vs the VFD.
Single phase motors are very expensive and have more moving parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
If the lathe has only one motor, A VFD is the way to go. The voltage and hertz issue is resolved with a VFD and the addition of speed adjustment has to be considered.
Being able to slow down or speed up the lathe is quite important. There is no reason anymore to move belts to adjust speed. We don't do that **** anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredsparktech View Post
Is the equipment new or used? I don't think Germany builds much 380 volt 3 phase products. The new voltage standards for the EU are 230/400 @ 50HZ.
A VFD is the only way to go! Single phase VFD's for 3 HP motor should be readily available with a input of 240 volts. Lathes, like table saws, start with little of no load. Also, being able to set voltage, as well as frequency will let the machine operate, they way it was designed.
Agree!

Quote:
Well my bro-inlaw decided to buy the lathe, it was apparently free considering what he paid for it so he couldn't pass it up. I have suggested swapping out the motor and he is going to look into doing so however here is the motor plate (first pic) and control box plate (second pic)
Any thoughts?
Since the motor is not inverter duty, he may not get all the life left in that motor. He might though.
The best part is when the motor goes, he can buy a new 3 phase inverter duty motor for less than a single phase motor.

Do you have any idea as to what his motor speed range will be?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 28

it's been a month, but my question is ... have you looked at installing a 3 phase 600V service for the shop? I did this for a customer of mine, single phase 240V service for the house and completely separate 3 phase 600V service for the shop. In my case the property was zoned for multiple use, so Hydro was willing to play ball. YMMV
Destarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:46 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 25,622

This exact topic was beaten to death less than a month ago.

There is a UK outfit that sells VFD units that make the conversion in ONE STEP.

You mate them to each machine tool.

They are not that pricey.

They provide the European standard frequency and voltages.

NO PROBLEM.

They are especially perfect for lathes as NO-ONE ever starts a lathe under heavy load.

The actual loading of a shop lathe -- an 'engine' lathe -- is far, far less than the nameplate figures.

They have power plants sized for the worst case torque demand.

Hence, they loaf along for decades.

Go to Tubalcain at YouTube for ENDLESS videos on such topics -- to include his own 1 phase to 3 phase conversion project.

And he's not even an electrician.

He found it simple Simon.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote