400 amp service with duplex meter base - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buck Parrish
  • 1 Post By wcord

Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Default 400 amp service with duplex meter base

Hello everyone. I am in British Columbia installing a 400 amp service to a small electrical shack on a rural property c/w a duplex meter. POCO is allowing this as there are two separate residents on the property. My issue is POCO will not allow a double mast only a single mast and the only mast kits I can find are 4inch which are very expensive.

My question is has anyone installed this set up before who may have some pointers on getting my costs down? Also am I correct in using 600kcmil AL service conductors based on rule 4-004 (23). As the calculated load is under 357 amps. T.39

The meter base I am using is a Hydel HC42R-BC

Thanks
JoelM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 258

The best way to get the cost down is to have the poco install it under ground. Tell the customer they pay for that. It's best to tell the customer before you start the job. Like during the bidding process...

That 600 seems kind of big. The calculated load seems kind of big, too
trentonmakes likes this.
Buck Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,103

So you have to provide a load calc to Technical Safety BC, if you're using Table 39, correct?

Are they semi-detached units?

I saw a service today that had two separate meters on a single service pole. However they were feeding detached dwellings.
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #4

Yes according to the directives and bulletins I would have to submit a load calculation. The load is coming in under 357 amps. The set up would have two detached dwellings on the property which will be approx 80m apart with the electrical shack placed in between. I have seen the double mast used before but according to Fortis they do not allow this set up anymore as it creates a hazard for their workers. 4 inch is starting to look like the only way if it stays overhead.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,838

Welcome to Electrician Talk Joel.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,592

Can you build a steel or Unistrut support structure and run single conductor free air?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Parrish View Post
The best way to get the cost down is to have the poco install it under ground. Tell the customer they pay for that. It's best to tell the customer before you start the job. Like during the bidding process...

That 600 seems kind of big. The calculated load seems kind of big, too
If the area is an overhead distribution system, the pocos will charge for going underground. The large load is probably due to electric heat, as it is a rural area
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #8

Yes you are correct. The majority of rural properties here are 400amp minimum due to heating, outbuildings and irrigation loads. Running free air might be an option. Thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 82

Use 4" p.v.c. down to meterbase.Use a 6x6 pressure treated timber about 1 ft.away as the actual mast.Attach insulator to timber and use uni-strut between mast and p.v.c. for support.
Bcec is offline   Reply With Quote