Adding new 3rd party circuit to Service Entrance Panel (Street Lighting) - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By torontorepair

Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Adding new 3rd party circuit to Service Entrance Panel (Street Lighting)

New to the forum and this is probably going to be a difficult question to answer, but I can't get a clear answer from anyone.

I work in the Telecommunications Industry (Ontario). I'm tasked with planning for new 5G radios mounted to the City's street light poles. We have to route fibre add power 120V to these radios. My main concern is the power. Our 1 option is to place a new hydro feed from the LDC's underground transformer to the light pole, up the outside of the light pole to a new 15amp breaker, then to the radio mounted ~5m up. We'll us Uguard near the base of the pole. We also would have to run a fibre up the pole.

Now I don't like this option at all because all the wiring is visible, its very expensive to build because many of these radios will be in the downtown core surrounded by concrete.

What I want to do is use the City's existing street light infrastructure to run our fibre and power through the ground and into the chaseway of the light pole, we would drill out (City approved). We would install a new breaker in the City's Service Entrance Pedestal, which is the demarcation point between the LDC and the Street Light Asset Owner. We would also add a new meter if required unless we could just pay flat rate.

Now the City has agreed with this plan but Hydro has stated that we can't add our own breaker due to some Ontario Energy Board regulations that they can't even cite. Even if it was metered they said we still can't do it, Keep in mind that the City owns all the infrastructure from the from the 100A Main Breaker in an un-metered panel.

Anyway in short we need to find a way to use the City's infrastructure to run our cables because we can't have cables run on the outside of these street light poles on a mass scale. Our Eng house mentioned that we could run a second cable from the transformer to another 100A Fusible Disconnect on the Service Entrance Pedestal and route our fibre that way, it just seems like a big waste of money when there's already power there and we only need a couple amps. I know the City can't resell us power, but they're not really reselling anything if we're metered. ESA has approved it.

If anyone can point me to the regulation that says we can't do this that would be great. Our regulatory team hasn't got involved yet because we don't have our full designs complete. thanks
ryan4689@yahoo.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
New to the forum

I work in the Telecommunications Industry (Ontario).
Welcome- Please read the forum rules as you are required to fill out your profile.

We have a section of the forum for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Our regulatory team hasn't got involved yet because we don't have our full designs complete. thanks
It's an extremely easy question to answer! Hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor.

They will simply ask for the engineered drawing and be regulated to follow them as that stamp on it says that it is ok- that is how we bid off the project.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!

Last edited by The_Modifier; 07-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Band Member

Rewards Points: 816

I'd be interested in which City is re-tard-ed enough to let a private company use their infrastructure, and litter their poles with radios

So I guess between Telus, Rogers, Bell, and all the little players that will want to do the same, I guess it will start looking like Little India there.

As a taxpayer, are you at least paying rent/month per pole ?
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6
Default I hope its not Toronto...

.... Oh I really hope its not Toronto..... but I would not be at all surprised to find out it was. This city has been making some really really bad choices ever since fatass mc crack crack was mayor.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
torontorepair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ldc, street light.