Aerial span - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree14Likes

Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 283
Default Aerial span

Never did this before on residential, so not 100% sure on this. Customers underground feed damaged. Installed years back by who knows. Driveway completely finished with interlocking stones, so digging up not preferred option. . Only a 30A feed going to it. Best option would be to run guy from back corner, to back of garage, and attach teck cable to it. It directly above his fence so out of the way. I’m just not positive on height requirements for aerial span here. Same specs as would be for service conductors ( 4.5 m here in Ontario )?? Thx in advance!!
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
Never did this before on residential, so not 100% sure on this. Customers underground feed damaged. Installed years back by who knows. Driveway completely finished with interlocking stones, so digging up not preferred option. . Only a 30A feed going to it. Best option would be to run guy from back corner, to back of garage, and attach teck cable to it. It directly above his fence so out of the way. I’m just not positive on height requirements for aerial span here. Same specs as would be for service conductors ( 4.5 m here in Ontario )?? Thx in advance!!

I have no idea of what's allowed up there. It will need to be above the snow though or you will be tripping over it all the time...........

Here: Ten foot minimum above grade and higher for such things as a swimming pool or a sidewalk and such. Poco is always much higher than that.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I have no idea of what's allowed up there. It will need to be above the snow though or you will be tripping over it all the time...........

Here: Ten foot minimum above grade and higher for such things as a swimming pool or a sidewalk and such. Poco is always much higher than that.
If it’s the 4.5m rule, I’m screwed because the highest I’m getting at the back is 11 feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,351

Quote:
If it’s the 4.5m rule, I’m screwed because the highest I’m getting at the back is 11 feet.
Mixing meters and feet is discriminatory and illegal in Canada. Punishable by flogging and dunking in ice water.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 136

Quote:
You'll have to install a mast or something to get higher. I've never done something like this myself so u cannot comment on this much.

Make sure to use support rated zip ties or something secure. If you use a steel mast, it'll have to be bonded.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,714

I agree that you would have to treat it like a service on both buildings; while you would not necessarily need a "mast kit" at both buildings, you would need something secure to the building that was as rigid as a mast; I have used in the past 1/25" x 1/4" angle iron (it also has to be galvanised).

I don't have the code book with me right now, but had to go through this process when bringing services / power to non-traditional structures such as bus shelters, comms towers, bridges, etc.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 426

Yes same specs as if it were a service.

Why not just run quad plex? Much easier and less work than supporting a teck and will look more professional.

Exposed wiring on exteriors of buildings and between buildings on the same premises
12-300 Exterior exposed wiring Rules
Rules 12-302 to 12-318 apply only to exposed wiring run on the exterior surfaces of buildings or between buildings on the same premises.
12-302 Types of insulated conductors and cables
Insulated conductors and cables shall be of types suitable for exposure to the weather as indicated in Table 19.
12-304 Location of insulated conductors and cables
1) Subject to the provisions of Rule 6-112, where the insulated conductors and cables are supported on or in close proximity to the exterior surfaces of buildings, they shall be installed and protected so that they shall not be a hazard to persons or be exposed to mechanical damage, and they shall not be less than 4.5 m from the ground unless a deviation has been allowed in accordance with Rule 2-030.
Forge Boyz and splatz like this.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,444

Go with the tri-plex or quad -plex, the Teck cable is going to be heavy and need stronger supports.

Tim
99cents and glen1971 like this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post

Down here in america, it’s higher if over a driveway also.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Yes same specs as if it were a service.

Why not just run quad plex? Much easier and less work than supporting a teck and will look more professional.

Exposed wiring on exteriors of buildings and between buildings on the same premises
12-300 Exterior exposed wiring Rules
Rules 12-302 to 12-318 apply only to exposed wiring run on the exterior surfaces of buildings or between buildings on the same premises.
12-302 Types of insulated conductors and cables
Insulated conductors and cables shall be of types suitable for exposure to the weather as indicated in Table 19.
12-304 Location of insulated conductors and cables
1) Subject to the provisions of Rule 6-112, where the insulated conductors and cables are supported on or in close proximity to the exterior surfaces of buildings, they shall be installed and protected so that they shall not be a hazard to persons or be exposed to mechanical damage, and they shall not be less than 4.5 m from the ground unless a deviation has been allowed in accordance with Rule 2-030.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
Go with the quad -plex, the Teck cable is going to be heavy and need stronger supports.

Tim

Unless the code has changed with the 2018 code, if you do an Arial cable, you need to use compression connectors or an ampact connector, and will have to install a mast on both buildings if you do arial.

If you do decide to do arial, I think it will have to be quad-plex due to the new bonding and grounding rules that came into effect with the new code update. But I have not taken the code course, nor read the new book cover to cover yet.

My dad has done a few jobs with teck cable fastened to an aircraft/steel messenger cable. It might be a little heavy, but as far as I know, you can do the run without the need for open splices... I.e., teck out of the building, up the wall, through the air to the other building, down the wall, and into the disconnect switch in one run (correct me if I'm wrong).

You could also use ACWU could you not? If it's a feeder for (non-branch circuit) you're permitted to use aluminium conductors.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
Go with the tri-plex or quad -plex, the Teck cable is going to be heavy and need stronger supports.

Tim
Service heads, crimps etc. Too much work.
10/3 teck isnt that heavy to support.
Just use 2x2 angle iron on both ends with proper guy wires as needed.
I would use steel pipe clamps rather than ty-raps
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,943

I don’t know if I fully understand this but it sounds like you you need two points of attachment, some pipe and some triplex.

Teck isn’t the magic answer to everything.
canbug likes this.

Last edited by 99cents; 05-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25,418

Lift the bricks// stones.

They are not your problem.

Get a mason to re-set them.

DONE.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Lift the bricks// stones.

They are not your problem.

Get a mason to re-set them.

DONE.
Not as easy as it sounds. Those stones could be sitting on a layer of compacted road crush below a thin layer of sand. I wouldn’t touch them.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
Unless the code has changed with the 2018 code, if you do an Arial cable, you need to use compression connectors or an ampact connector, .
?? Can you post that code from the 2015
Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
?? Can you post that code from the 2015
It's in section 75:

75-504 Connections

Connectors for all overhead current-carrying connections shall be compression or wedge type.

Incognito (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #17
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
It's in section 75:

75-504 Connections

Connectors for all overhead current-carrying connections shall be compression or wedge type.

That's a good idea to have a section on overhead wiring. Certainly goes a long way to clean up all the farm wiring
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #18
RSE Master Electrician

I did a job once re feeding exterior lights for row houses in small city run neighbourhoods where the old feeds were damaged. We ran teck from the lights up to 8 x 8 PVC boxes, installed 3/4” weather heads on them and used #6 awg quad plex in between the buildings. We made all the connections inside the 8 x 8 boxes with just split bolts taped up.

I understand the reason why the Ontario code specifies compression connections for overhead exposed connections but we were connecting 12 awg Teck to #6 quad plex on a 15 amp circuit inside the box, not a big deal and the inspector didn’t care.

Then again, these were some pretty shifty neighbourhoods so maybe he just wanted to get out of there ASAP! Lol
99cents and Kevin_Essiambre like this.

Last edited by Incognito; 05-17-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
I did a job once re feeding exterior lights for row houses in small city run neighbourhoods where the old feeds were damaged. We ran teck from the lights up to 8 x 8 PVC boxes, installed 3/4” weather heads on them and used #6 awg quad plex in between the buildings. We made all the connections inside the 8 x 8 boxes with just split bolts taped up.

I understand the reason why the Ontario code specifies compression connections for overhead exposed connections but we were connecting 12 awg Teck to #6 quad plex on a 15 amp circuit inside the box, not a big deal and the inspector didn’t care.

Then again, these were some pretty shifty neighbourhoods so maybe he just wanted to get out of there ASAP! Lol
Only reason I know about the rule is I've read the 2015 OESC cover to cover like 3 times, and my dad and I were looking into installing some overhead distribution for a camp ground he wanted to build.

Incognito likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #20

Thx for replies. There is a fence at the end of the house by garage. May see if homeowner will install arch over the gate, and I can run teck overtop. It can be run between the slats on each side, no problem there. ..... So it's just getting past the gate. 👍👍