Alberta: CEC 2015 Update Course $130 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree14Likes

Old 05-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382
Default Alberta: CEC 2015 Update Course $130

Thanks to @electricguy for posting a news article that the Alberta Electrical League was offering a code update course for free to the Fort Mac folks.

I then decided to check out the Alberta Electrical League's web site and found they offer this course for $130. Not wanting to hi-jack that thread I decided to copy my post and start a new thread.

Guys $130 is bang for the buck. Go get educated.

My story follows...

I took the course offered by the Electrical Contractors Association...
http://www.ecaa.ab.ca/HotTopicDetails.aspx?id=185

^^ $250.00

The Alberta Electrical League appears to just want to make the world a better place. Free for the Fort Mac folks and a really great price in comparison for the other folks...
http://albertaelectricalleague.com/c...code-training/

^^ $130.00

From the above link...
Quote:
Recognition

This 8-hour course is recognized by the Alberta Safety Codes Council for Safety Codes Officers and Master Electricians. We will provide you with proof of attendance, and a certificate upon successful completion of a competency exam.

Cost

AEL Members $95 +GST per person
Non-Members $130 +GST per person
Code books available for purchase upon request
^^ So go sign up. Anyone can take the course. Take a day off work and have a good time getting up to speed on the 2015 code at a reasonable cost.

The place may not be Harvard but the certificate and new 'smarts' is still the prize.

That's what i'm thinking.
electricguy and Borgi like this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daveEM; 05-28-2016 at 06:01 AM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
AlbertaBeef (05-28-2016)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
Thanks to @electricguy for posting a news article that the Alberta Electrical League was offering a code update course for free to the Fort Mac folks.

I then decided to check out the Alberta Electrical League's web site and found they offer this course for $130. Not wanting to hi-jack that thread I decided to copy my post and start a new thread.

Guys $130 is bang for the buck. Go get educated.

My story follows...

I took the course offered by the Electrical Contractors Association...
http://www.ecaa.ab.ca/HotTopicDetails.aspx?id=185

^^ $250.00

The Alberta Electrical League appears to just want to make the world a better place. Free for the Fort Mac folks and a really great price in comparison for the other folks...
http://albertaelectricalleague.com/c...code-training/

^^ $130.00

From the above link...

^^ So go sign up. Anyone can take the course. Take a day off work and have a good time getting up to speed on the 2015 code at a reasonable cost.

The place may not be Harvard but the certificate and new 'smarts' is still the prize.

That's what i'm thinking.
Keeping up to date with code is important, but tradespeople don't usually need to be told, let's say forced, to do so.

Most have the new code, and have read it over more than once already, that is their business after all!

I like taking the course at ECAA, because I feel comfortable there, and the instructors have much to offer.

But, I must say, I don't like being forced to take it!

Borgi
Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

Well the ECCA isn't my favorite group.

Many years ago they were allowed to take a small percentage and handle re-licencing fees for Master Electricians. Being a private company they of course went right to work figuring out a way to extract more money from us. Business I guess.

They lobbied hard and after a couple of years they almost took over the Masters program. There was much opposition and in the end they lost all. Didn't even get to continue collecting their small fees for the licence renewal.

Up to that point they were able to confuse and strongly suggest that not taking their course you would lose your Masters. They were the only ones and got me twice suggesting the government would be requiring this. They also tried to add a couple of bogus Masters license at different fee rates. Then there is their own internal thingy of which I believe you belong to.

So it was a good day for me when the government took it back. And now they have some heavy competition which is good I'm thinking.

The price from the competition is so reasonable that many Alberta electricians should and might take it if the word gets out.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 554

Quote:
Well the ECCA isn't my favorite group.
So it was a good day for me when the government took it back. And now they have some heavy competition which is good I'm thinking.
Except now instead of being $55, it is $125 or $150 if you let it expire.
They may have made mistakes, but leave it to government to really screw it up.
daveEM likes this.
AlbertaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaBeef View Post
Except now instead of being $55, it is $125 or $150 if you let it expire.
They may have made mistakes, but leave it to government to really screw it up.
Yeah, forgot about that. Edmonton licence up also.

I guess we have to be careful what we wish for.
AlbertaBeef likes this.

I like perfect.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,888

The British Columbia Safety Agency Are also putting these on. One great thing is after taking the course the course is also available online to refresh knowledge and has a Quiz. Then we can printed a certificate of Completion.
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 22

The CEC 2015 update course is FREE at www.electricalexam.ca. It is also simplified
kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenw View Post
The CEC 2015 update course is FREE at www.electricalexam.ca. It is also simplified
Is it approved by the SCC of Alberta?

Now, if you're just looking for a refresher, read the code book. We are all pros here.

The only reason I pay for an update course approved by the SCC of Alberta is because I must do so to keep my SCO, and Master, certification.

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, forgot about that. Edmonton licence up also.

I guess we have to be careful what we wish for.
If you were a CME, or PEC, in Alberta you don't pay license fees.

But, you guys know that! 😉

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgi View Post
If you were a CME, or PEC, in Alberta you don't pay license fees.

Borgi
EDit: Cut the reply till I know what I'm talking about.

Appears they have a deal with the City of St. Albert.

I asked about the City of St. Albert, City of Spruce Grove and of course Edmonton.

Other smaller towns often don't have a system set up so you just get a permit on your Masters... Sherwood Park comes to mind. Mornville I believe I've worked out of with my masters. Inspections thru Inspections Group.

I like perfect.

Last edited by daveEM; 06-08-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
EDit: Cut the reply till I know what I'm talking about.

Appears they have a deal with the City of St. Albert.

I asked about the City of St. Albert, City of Spruce Grove and of course Edmonton.

Other smaller towns often don't have a system set up so you just get a permit on your Masters... Sherwood Park comes to mind. Mornville I believe I've worked out of with my masters. Inspections thru Inspections Group.
I am talking about a business license daveEM, which you are required to have to work in those communities. St. Albert, Spruce Grove and of course Edmonton.

As a CME, and PEC, you are protected by the Professional and Occupational Associations Registrations Act, and are not required to pay licensing fees. Here is a link, http://www.ecaa.ab.ca/Attachments/PE...egulations.pdf

In St. Albert the annual business license fee is ~ $660. So the small fee to be a CME is well worth it.

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 546

Great idea if you intend to stay a one man show, removes some overhead for the little guy. I got dinged for the business license fee for a 2 day job in St. Albert and my butt still hurts.

Last edited by LuckyLuke; 06-08-2016 at 02:05 PM.
LuckyLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
Great idea if you intend to stay a one man show, removes some overhead for the little guy. I got dinged for the business license fee for a 2 day job in St. Albert and my butt still hurts.
Get your CME, it's less than $100, and the annual fee is $20.

Doesn't matter if you're a one man show. What matters is who gets the license. Same as a Master getting a permit.

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

"A registered member of the ECAA (P.E.C., P.E.C. Student, C.M.E., and R.M.E.) operating as a sole proprietor (no employee) is exempt from purchasing or maintaining municipal business licences"

http://www.ecaa.ab.ca/Attachments/An...CIPALITIES.pdf

I am a CME and a PEC, but I am incorporated with employees so I 100% must get a business license.
emtnut likes this.

Last edited by LuckyLuke; 06-08-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
"A registered member of the ECAA (P.E.C., P.E.C. Student, C.M.E., and R.M.E.) operating as a sole proprietor (no employee) is exempt from purchasing or maintaining municipal business licences"

http://www.ecaa.ab.ca/Attachments/An...CIPALITIES.pdf

I am a CME and a PEC, but I am incorporated with employees so I 100% must get a business license.
I am not a PEC, so I can not speak to that. The ECAA sells their PEC program on the fact that a business license is not required. So I guess they must be not telling the truth., and you are correct!

I am a CME, and I have never been asked about employees or if I am incorporated. I send a copy of my CME card, and go to work.

But, I actually live in Alberta. 😂 What do I know?

Like I have told all my ex wives, you must be right, you have all my money after all. 😜😂

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #16

They are telling the truth if you read what they send out, zero to hide as it's all there in black and white as it always has been. Choosing to use or understand only portions of that information is your call to make I guess, but if you are going to try and explain the rules and regulations without knowing them isn't the best course of action for your character.

Choosing to not follow the rules is your call to make I guess!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
They are telling the truth if you read what they send out, zero to hide as it's all there in black and white as it always has been. Choosing to use or understand only portions of that information is your call to make I guess, but if you are going to try and explain the rules and regulations without knowing them isn't the best course of action for your character.

Talk, talk, talk.

I am a CME, and I follow the rules. Plus, I am from Alberta! You clearly are NOT!

The ECAA follows the rules as well, and as far as I know their PECs do NOT pay business license fees.

You are a poser, LuckyLuke, much like 99cents who claimed to get in the 90s on his Alberta Master exam. For all I know, you are the same poser. 😜😂

This site is full of guys like you. Makes for entertaining nonsense.

When you do actually land in Alberta, you are welcome to visit. Until then, vote for Trump, and leave me alone. 😂😂

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #18

Born and raised here actually.....pretty sure you told me that you relocated here from Ontario actually, still sleeping on your sisters sofa (oh yes I remember your private messages btw)

You claim to have employees yet say you are a sole proprietor without any so you don't have to buy a business license....pretty sure that falls under the not following rules category. Your work is probably as scabby as your attitude but hide behind calling yourself a SCO.

Next time get some facts before spewing out false information while patting yourself on the back.

Btw what you do mean "their PECs do NOT pay for business license fees"? Like I said I am a member of the ECAA (10years) and a PEC and pay for business licences for my company in more then one municipality.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #19

Quote:

Quote:
Born and raised here actually.....pretty sure you told me that you relocated here from Ontario actually, still sleeping on your sisters sofa (oh yes I remember your private messages btw)

You claim to have employees yet say you are a sole proprietor without any so you don't have to buy a business license....pretty sure that falls under the not following rules category. Your work is probably as scabby as your attitude but hide behind calling yourself a SCO.

Next time get some facts before spewing out false information while patting yourself on the back.

Btw what you do mean "their PECs do NOT pay for business license fees"? Like I said I am a member of the ECAA (10years) and a PEC and pay for business licences for my company in more then one municipality.
You can't even keep track of your lies, or 99cents, which is you.

You are not from Alberta, you are an online poser.

This site is full of posers like you. 😜😂😂

Borgi
Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgi View Post
You can't even keep track of your lies, or 99cents, which is you.

You are not from Alberta, you are an online poser.

This site is full of posers like you. 😜😂😂

Borgi
You moved here just over ago when your mother died and stayed with your sister until you were able to get your masters (remember who I am now?) So you are not the Alberta boy you claim to be! You failed in Ontario and tucked tail and came here.

Pretty classless for you to bring 99 into this who hasn't even posted. You must think highly of yourself if you think someone from out of province would lie just to point out your mistakes. Even if it was true it would be worse that an out of province person knows the rules and regulations better then you. So keep spouting off ya fat tub!