B.C. Master designation - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree7Likes

Old 07-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 82
Default B.C. Master designation

I am curious to know if any of the B.C. guys have applied for and received the new Master designation in B.C.
Bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Is there a test involved? Is it a mandatory thing for EC’s?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,135

I have.
Bcec likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Is there a test involved? Is it a mandatory thing for EC’s?
no test.

Basically they've expanded the name from FSR to Master Electrician/ FSR. It is valid for 3 years and a $100 fee.
Incognito likes this.

Last edited by spinninwheels; 07-15-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
spinninwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
no test.

Basically they've expanded the name from FSR to Master Electrician/ FSR. It is valid for 3 years and a $100 fee.
Was there a test to get the FSR?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Was there a test to get the FSR?
yes of course
Incognito (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
yes of course
So the new Masters is the same test as before, just a name change?

Here (Ontario) to have an electrical contracting business, you must be or employ a master. I assume that is also the same in BC?

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:

Here (Ontario) to have an electrical contracting business, you must be or employ a master. I assume that is also the same in BC?

Thanks.
yes, exactly.
Incognito (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 66

Have any Alberta masters gotten their FSR? I want to start the process and am curious if anyone has any input or advice for getting it through this pathway.
I did read the following on their website;

"The equivalent certification of Alberta Master Electrician in BC is Class A FSR. Alberta*Master Electricians are required to take an exam based on the*Acts, Regulations, Directives (ARD)*of BC."

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Bcec likes this.
Jmcstevenson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcstevenson View Post
Have any Alberta masters gotten their FSR? I want to start the process and am curious if anyone has any input or advice for getting it through this pathway.
I did read the following on their website;

"The equivalent certification of Alberta Master Electrician in BC is Class A FSR. Alberta*Master Electricians are required to take an exam based on the*Acts, Regulations, Directives (ARD)*of BC."

This is a great way to get your B.C. F.S.R. "A" certification.My B.C. qualifications (B class F.S.R.)allowed me to write the Alberta Master exam.So I was then able
to use my Alberta Master to sit for my B.C. "A" F.S.R. certification.The test is a short version and only covers A,R and Ds for B.C. Not difficult if you study the info and know where to find it.And now when you renew the F.S.R. you can request a B.C.Master designation.I did,so now i am currently a master in both B.C. and Alberta.I have a part time business at home but work 2 week shifts in the oilsands.I take out permits for the company I work for in Alberta(for a fee of course).

Last edited by Bcec; 07-16-2019 at 01:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bcec For This Useful Post:
Jmcstevenson (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #11

Quote:

Thanks.
In B.C. you do not need a Master designation to be a contractor. You do need a contractors licence and an F.S.R. named on your permit though.Also a 10,000.00 bond is required by Technical Safety B.C. before they issue a licence.The F.S.R. cant take out permits but is required to sign off on declarations indicating all work is completed and code compliant. The scope of work the company can do depends on the class of the F.S.R. An "A" F.S.R. is unrestricted,the "B" F.S.R. is restricted to 750 volts but unlimited amperage while the "C" is limited to single phase 240 volts and 200 amps.I have a B.C. contractor licence and name myself as the F.S.R. The F.S.R. when renewing his licence can indicate whether or not he wants the master designation as it is voluntary,not mandatory.So we have a master "A" master"B" or Master"C".

Last edited by Bcec; 07-16-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 68

I have my Alberta Masters and BC FSR.. I just put in my renewal and applied for the masters BC designation. I haven't heard anything back but I got my renewal invoice for my FSR class B.

I'm curious to see what happens.
FishinElectrcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
yes of course

Thanks.
Depends where you are and what you consider a Master electrician to be.. In Alberta it's the right to pull permits, in BC they got rid of the masters designation in favour of FSR (field safety representative).. About 15yrs ago? So now they are considering masters from other provinces as having a higher level of training than just an FSR.

Kinda like they want to bring it back but I'm not sure if there is a BC masters program in place, might be for all I know now.

I won't even get into all the hoops I had to jump through to write the FSR exam (with an Alberta Masters) to come home to BC and start contracting out here. When I finally got done my correspondence course and was allowed the privilege of writing the FSR she handed me 3 or 4 sheets of paper that weren't even double sided. I said:
"Is this it?"

She said: "funny a lot of guys say that"

"In Alberta this is a two part 3 hour (3.5?) Mind melting exam, I'll have this banged off for you in less than hour". I finished in a half hour and waited for another 15 min double checking out of misplaced guilt.

I'm kind of curious if there's any advantage to a BC masters other than prestige and possibly extra fees. I applied but haven't heard anything.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,579

Yeah, I send money to BC to keep my status alive. Maybe I should go back. Like tomorrow.
electricguy likes this.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinElectrcian View Post
Depends where you are and what you consider a Master electrician to be.. In Alberta it's the right to pull permits, in BC they got rid of the masters designation in favour of FSR (field safety representative).. About 15yrs ago? So now they are considering masters from other provinces as having a higher level of training than just an FSR.

Kinda like they want to bring it back but I'm not sure if there is a BC masters program in place, might be for all I know now.

I won't even get into all the hoops I had to jump through to write the FSR exam (with an Alberta Masters) to come home to BC and start contracting out here. When I finally got done my correspondence course and was allowed the privilege of writing the FSR she handed me 3 or 4 sheets of paper that weren't even double sided. I said:
"Is this it?"

She said: "funny a lot of guys say that"

"In Alberta this is a two part 3 hour (3.5?) Mind melting exam, I'll have this banged off for you in less than hour". I finished in a half hour and waited for another 15 min double checking out of misplaced guilt.

I'm kind of curious if there's any advantage to a BC masters other than prestige and possibly extra fees. I applied but haven't heard anything.
So it's that easy? I'm in the process of tracking down the documents I need to study to write the FSR. I'll look into the correspondance course. I'll probably made it a trip down to kelowna to write it in the fall.

Jmcstevenson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 3,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Yeah, I send money to BC to keep my status alive. Maybe I should go back. Like tomorrow.

So you pay for the contractors license and the new 100.00 FSR fee renewed by July 31 if not the contractors licese is suspended until the 100.00 is paid
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #17

So it's that easy? I'm in the process of tracking down the documents I need to study to write the FSR. I'll look into the correspondance course. I'll probably made it a trip down to kelowna to write it in the fall.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Well sort of, I did it 15yrs ago now.. But they made me take a update / complete correspondence course for the FSR.. Since I was in Calgary and couldn't take a night school one in BC for 2 months of Wednesday's or whatever it was. The old fella Alfonse that did it was having medical problems and I was the last student he ran through.

I thought they should have just let me write the exam but it's the typical "our certification is better than yours" attitude between provinces. Hopefully it's changed now for you. Made me angry when I saw the four page exam for the FSR, I went through hell to get my Alberta masters. BC is a joke by comparison.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Petulant Amateur

Quote:

Well sort of, I did it 15yrs ago now.. But they made me take a update / complete correspondence course for the FSR.. Since I was in Calgary and couldn't take a night school one in BC for 2 months of Wednesday's or whatever it was. The old fella Alfonse that did it was having medical problems and I was the last student he ran through.

I thought they should have just let me write the exam but it's the typical "our certification is better than yours" attitude between provinces. Hopefully it's changed now for you. Made me angry when I saw the four page exam for the FSR, I went through hell to get my Alberta masters. BC is a joke by comparison.[/QUOTE]

It isn’t a code test. It’s a test of the regulations particular to BC.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #19

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/cer...er-electrician

Hey looks like an active AB masters is good enough to write the exam, no extra hoops this time bud.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/cer...er-electrician

Hey looks like an active AB masters is good enough to write the exam, no extra hoops this time bud.
I wrote my FSR about eight years ago and all it was was a simple open book test on regulations (as an AB Master).