Electrician Talk banner

Basic Care Area

CEC 
4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jmcstevenson 
#1 ·
I am looking at renos to a medical office. Are the exam rooms considered Basic Care Areas? If so, I assume that means minimum #12 with #12 ground and receptacles without isolated ground. New to me so thanks for the help.

Also, the book says receptacles should be within 1.5m of the sink in a bathroom but it doesn't say if receptacles are required.

#3 ·
I don't know your canada rules, but it's highly unlikely that you use isolated ground in patient care areas. Redundant ground, most likely. Isolated ground, very unlikely.

#4 · (Edited)
This is from section 24:
Basic care area — a patient care area where body contact between a patient and medical electrical equipment
is neither frequent nor usual.
Critical care area — a patient care area that is an anaesthetizing location, or in which cardiac contact between
a patient and medical electrical equipment is frequent or normal.

So I would say that exam rooms are not basic care for sure.

Also 24-106(7) Receptacles shall not be of the isolated ground type.

Also from Appendix B:
Rules 24-102 and 24-106
Basic care areas should not, even in long-term facilities, be considered residential occupancies that are governed
by general Rules such as 26-710 and 26-726. Users of this Code should be aware that the need for circuits and
receptacles in patient care areas is frequently greater than in most other locations. Users are directed to
CSA Z32 for recommendations regarding the minimum number of receptacles and circuits normally required in
the various patient care areas.

This article says exam rooms are considered basic care areas
https://www.908eng.com/z32.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.