BCHydro and tankless water heater - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By electricguy
  • 1 Post By spinninwheels
  • 1 Post By Funksparky

Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,864
Default BCHydro and tankless water heater

A few years ago bchydro didnt want these installed have they changed their position on that now ?
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,454

I think the point of use tankless is ok but not really keen with whole house tankless verison.

I did recall there were some discussion reguarding of whole house tankless units and most POCO in USA side is not too keen with it either but they will do hook it up but they will ask the customer to hevay up or pay for damaged transfomers.

In Philippines we can have whole house tankless but not on single phase 240 volts at all. Three phase ( 415 or 480 volts ) or 480 volts single phase can use whole house tankless verison. ( note commercal verison mantory three phase tankless units )
Old 05-23-2017, 01:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I think the point of use tankless is ok but not really keen with whole house tankless verison.

I did recall there were some discussion reguarding of whole house tankless units and most POCO in USA side is not too keen with it either but they will do hook it up but they will ask the customer to hevay up or pay for damaged transfomers.

In Philippines we can have whole house tankless but not on single phase 240 volts at all. Three phase ( 415 or 480 volts ) or 480 volts single phase can use whole house tankless verison. ( note commercal verison mantory three phase tankless units )
Whats their reasoning for 3 phase resistive loads? There's no power factor correction to consider, or is it a load balance thing? Is 3 phase to residential customers common there?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 02:26 AM   #4
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Whats their reasoning for 3 phase resistive loads? There's no power factor correction to consider, or is it a load balance thing? Is 3 phase to residential customers common there?
Load balance reason plus with larger tankless whole house verison it easier to get them in three phase so we can spread the loads on all phases.

The only time the three phase become common once you get over 150 amp 240 volt service then above this level it become three phase ( 415Y240 volts and our line to netural loads are 240 volts ) this typically found in very large resdentail or manison homes.,, majorty of average sized residentails are wired for single phase 240 volts supply useally 60 or 100 amp is kinda normal but smaller one or very basic homes get by with 30 amp service ( a barebone minuim size per current codes the old one used to be 15 amp service that is no longer legit for obvouis reason.)

And our Philippines residentail distuabion system dont have much leeway on capacity wise. it kinda right on par with your Americian system is.

and Yes Our Philippines POCO do raise a fit with whole house tankless system they will ask to heavy it up ( most dont useally go that route too often )
joebanana (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,367

Quote:
Load balance reason plus with larger tankless whole house verison it easier to get them in three phase so we can spread the loads on all phases.

The only time the three phase become common once you get over 150 amp 240 volt service then above this level it become three phase ( 415Y240 volts and our line to netural loads are 240 volts ) this typically found in very large resdentail or manison homes.,, majorty of average sized residentails are wired for single phase 240 volts supply useally 60 or 100 amp is kinda normal but smaller one or very basic homes get by with 30 amp service ( a barebone minuim size per current codes the old one used to be 15 amp service that is no longer legit for obvouis reason.)

And our Philippines residentail distuabion system dont have much leeway on capacity wise. it kinda right on par with your Americian system is.

and Yes Our Philippines POCO do raise a fit with whole house tankless system they will ask to heavy it up ( most dont useally go that route too often )
What form of electrical code, or standards, do you guys follow? Single phase A/C units must drive the POCO nuts in the summer, or, are they all 3 phase too?
I'm surprised our grid is still up considering the majority of the distribution equipment is original 1920's era stuff. DWP's substations are like museum pieces.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #6
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
What form of electrical code, or standards, do you guys follow? Single phase A/C units must drive the POCO nuts in the summer, or, are they all 3 phase too?
I'm surprised our grid is still up considering the majority of the distribution equipment is original 1920's era stuff. DWP's substations are like museum pieces.
The Philippines electrical code we are on simauir to modifed 2011 NEC code edition but no AFCI here yet.,,

we do have alot of single phase mini splits A/C it kinda common on smaller units but larger minisplits useally can get it in three phase which we rather do that.

the distution voltage on our POCO lines is the same as USA is but the only differnce is residental voltage they typically are 240 volts line to netural on my island but other island in Philippines can bounce anywhere from 225 to 240 volts depending on which island you are on but most either on 230 or 240 volts.

Hit the link below it will give you some more answer you are looking for.

Philippines electrical system Q&A

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 05-23-2017 at 07:29 AM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
joebanana (05-23-2017)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricguy View Post
A few years ago bchydro didnt want these installed have they changed their position on that now ?
I know this is an old post, but I can't find anything on Hydro or Technical Safety websites regarding this.

I am building a service to an existing house that was off the grid. Customer told me he ordered an electric tankless heater. To my knowledge this still isn't allowed, or is it?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,675

Quote:

This is the primary market that works correctly for them. Your higher residential voltages go hand in hand with tankless heaters. (till the internal short circuit of course....) In North America I would say one per bathroom is better but stretching it because of multiple showers going on in some family homes with lots of kids around. Gas is the way to go.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
I know this is an old post, but I can't find anything on Hydro or Technical Safety websites regarding this.

I am building a service to an existing house that was off the grid. Customer told me he ordered an electric tankless heater. To my knowledge this still isn't allowed, or is it?
Best bet call hydro and tech safetybc
spinninwheels and Borgi like this.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
It's makes me laugh when I read posts like this, and I mean no disrespect to the OP. You want a simple answer.

BUT, we use are phones for just about everything except calling people for a simple answer.

I tell anyone who will listen; we pay for our codes and standards and all interpretations through our tax dollars, and directly through permit fees.

Make a simple call to your inspector or AHJ office, that is what they are paid to do. In fact, I tell home owner permits to call often!

Borgi
Old 05-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,041

Quote:
So, yesterday I had a client call me for a small bathroom reno.

He goes through what he wants done (moving of lights, vanity, gfi, fan), he then points to an electric tankless/on-demand heater

I call BC Hydro and get a No...Yes...No, over the course of 15 minutes and 3 peoples input.

This morning, I call the inspector. He said BC Hydro has no jurisdiction over what appliances you can install, and gave me the

Bad news though for the client...he has a BL panel. And it needs a 2P60A breaker - which they don't seem to make anymore. Or least my SH can get their hands on it.

By the way, the 2P50A retails for about $400
electricguy likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 70

As far as i'm aware the original site and the utility has an expected usage for your site. If the expected usage is going to be changed dramatically it's likely a good idea to inform the utility, however i'm not aware of a regulation to make this required.

The recent BC EVSE info bulletin requires utility to be informed, but that's not a direct loading issue, but one due to the duty cycle change. https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/ale...gement-systems

As long as it's included in your service/feeder calculation i'm not aware of any direct restriction.
bob_says_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #13
Conductor Protector

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
So, yesterday I had a client call me for a small bathroom reno.

He goes through what he wants done (moving of lights, vanity, gfi, fan), he then points to an electric tankless/on-demand heater

I call BC Hydro and get a No...Yes...No, over the course of 15 minutes and 3 peoples input.

This morning, I call the inspector. He said BC Hydro has no jurisdiction over what appliances you can install, and gave me the

Bad news though for the client...he has a BL panel. And it needs a 2P60A breaker - which they don't seem to make anymore. Or least my SH can get their hands on it.

By the way, the 2P50A retails for about $400

Although I would recommend getting rid of the BL panel, I had luck with finding used breakers from Savona Equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spinninwheels likes this.
Funksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #14
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,675

What does BL stand for? Is that "Best Lengthwise?" , a tipped over sideways Canadian special?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
What does BL stand for? Is that "Best Lengthwise?" , a tipped over sideways Canadian special?

ITE blueline replacements by Siemens