Electrician Talk banner

Can a Alberta Licenced Tech work in BC with Alberta red seal?

CEC 
6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SteveO. 
#1 ·
Just want to know, because I met some one who is a Alberta Licenced electrical Tech "I think he even said master tech". I like to know because I need a electrician to help me "I am data only" run a new wire/conduit from the CB panel to the center of a tire rack of a auto chain store as well as data.

Not sure if he can pull a permit to allow this installation with city of Surrey.

#4 ·
A red seal cannot pull an electrical permit in BC.

What the hell is an Alberta Master Tech?
Assuming you mean "electrician" and not "tech", because Alberta produces electricians, he could be right. An Alberta trained electrician can work in BC and BC doesn't have a unified Master Electrican designation like Alberta does, so it would depend on your municipality whether he could pull a permit or not. I'm under the impression that a Master's in BC is nothing more than paying an extra fee, although I could be misinformed.

#5 ·
SteveO. said:
Assuming you mean "electrician" and not "tech", because Alberta produces electricians, he could be right. An Alberta trained electrician can work in BC and BC doesn't have a unified Master Electrican designation like Alberta does, so it would depend on your municipality whether he could pull a permit or not. I'm under the impression that a Master's in BC is nothing more than paying an extra fee, although I could be misinformed.
It's a totally separate license called FSR. Involves testing and other prerequisites depending on class. FSR B is the general certification which let's you pull permits for work up to 750v unlimited amperage.

#12 ·
An f.s.r. certification does not allow you to pull permits.It does allow you to sign off on the request for inspection and the rough wire for the company you work for.You still have to be bonded and pay for a contractors license before you can apply for and pull permits.But you do need the f.s.r. certification to become a contractor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.